User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By d.ot
  • 2 Post By AddyB

Thread: Food preservation

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I was wondering how people preserve their store bought eggs. I don't have much freezer space, so I found a method where you cover the egg in oil (I used coconut) and this will form a protective seal and keep the egg fresh for months to come. I am doing this with one of my cartons as an experiment. I am thinking of keeping them refrigerated for 6mo and then seeing if they are sill good to eat!
    Has anyone tried this method? Or have any other tips?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO, dededi and Davetherave like this.
    CADDLE APP REFERRAL LINK: http://dev.caddle.ca/signup/referral/565f84b25049b

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I keep mine in the refrigerator, haven't had a bad one yet, fingers crossed!
    ROMEO and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

That's interesting @AddyB ...I didn't realize they could be kept refrigerated for so long.
    Lucky that none have gone bad for you. It hurts me when I have to throw out food....even if it's a single egg!
    CADDLE APP REFERRAL LINK: http://dev.caddle.ca/signup/referral/565f84b25049b

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in a very rural area and my next door neighbors both keep chickens and always give me extra eggs that are past their sell by date. I wash them and stick them in the fridge and so far I have managed to use eggs that are 1 month past sell by date, not sure they will keep for 6 months this way though, be very interested to hear if you are successful.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AddyB View Post
    I live in a very rural area and my next door neighbors both keep chickens and always give me extra eggs that are past their sell by date. I wash them and stick them in the fridge and so far I have managed to use eggs that are 1 month past sell by date, not sure they will keep for 6 months this way though, be very interested to hear if you are successful.
    You're not supposed to wash farm-fresh eggs because they have a thin membrane over them that keeps them fresh...if you wash them you wash off this natural protection.

The Mennonites in the area sell farm eggs and they only scrape the worst off of them and leave the membrane. That's old school!
    Last edited by lecale; Tue, Aug 30th, 2016 at 11:57 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

our eggs dont last more than one week lol
    but thats cuz we use them up.
    theyre always on sale weekly so i've never felt the need to buy more than what we can use in a week
    check out sdm for a good deal on eggs each week

Thread Information