User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Where Were You When The News Came On 9/11?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Where were you when the news hit on 9/11 15 years ago?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I was at a friend's I just remember turning to the TV and we watched in horror one after the other. It was so hard to believe it was really happening.
    Such a sad day to remember all those that lost their lives and all those that gave their lives.
    #GoneButNotForgotten

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    Natalka, macw1960 and Shwa Girl like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sleeping in.. I was late for work that day.
    Natalka and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I was at home, in the living room, watching the morning news on tv. So of course the news came on with what had happened, and I saw the second plane hit. It was horrifying.

My son was almost 10 - he was getting ready for the school bus to come, and came into the living room - so I explained simply to him what had happened, in case he heard bits and pieces at school. Didn't know whether that was something teachers would talk about in class.

When he came home from school, we talked a lot about it, watched the news (which was pretty basic at that time, they didn't show anything gory). He had a lot of questions, most of which we could answer - but more info came as the days passed.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I was at my high school in the library where the librarian had the TV on showing the news. At the time it was just the first plane. Didn't find out the rest of the story until I got home and turned on the TV.
    One by one, the penguins slowly steal my sanity

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I was at school. Toronto. They told us we could leave the school, that morning. They were worried that the CN Tower and rail stations may be a target. Union station was jammed pack with people trying to get out of Toronto. They were going to shut down trains in the early afternoon. Was very scary that day.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I was working from home at the time. I didn't find out until I took a break for lunch - I popped the TV on and the presenter was talking about interruptions upcoming for this morning's devastating news. I felt like the only person who didn't know what had happened.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I was 37 wks pg with Penguinette2 and had dropped P1 off for her first time at daycare when the dj mentioned keeping up with the events in NYC, mainly a small plane crashing into WTC1.

I arrived home to the phone ringing...Mr P wanting to know what happened..plane hit WTC1..switched tv on to see second [email protected] small planes but jets. spent the next part of the hour fielding calls from across the pond and trying to get on the internet since Mr P was supposed to be flying to Boston that afternoon( protip..he didn't!).

When I finally got back to Mr P ...no luck on plane news...I heard a low rumbling and turned round to see WTC2 collapse..I just gasped out "it's gone, the building has gone" ...Mr P says to a co-worker next to him " Darth says the building's collapsed". Some-one had managed to buy a tv locally and bring it into work as the news started to spread...

I spent the rest of the day channel-hopping, fielding a few more calls and trying to regain phone internet service...oh and getting P1 back..
    macw1960 and walkonby like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I was grocery shopping in fortinos -someone mentioned it and we all stood there thinking that's just awfull for a minute
    -just as I was finished up went home and watched all day off and on t.v
    Natalka, macw1960, dededi and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was at Canadian Tire getting some keys cut when I heard that all the planes had been grounded and diverted to Canada. I didn't hear the rest of the story and the words "all the planes" didn't register in my mind. It didn't occur to me that something out of the ordinary had happened until I got back to the college campus and found everyone crowded around the TV in the cafeteria, so I asked a student what was going on.
    My parents were in Europe at the time and we didn't know when they would be allowed to come back. I would come home to an empty house and nothing on TV or radio but constant replays for days.
    It's like we all woke up that morning to a totally ordinary, sunny day and suddenly everything changed.
    Natalka, macw1960, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I was principal of an elementary school. The custodian came in to tell me after the first plane hit. He was practically hysterical. I told him he needed to go home and calm down. I didn't want any children hearing parts of the story from him. I thought at first that it was just an accident but then, before recess, the librarian came down to update me as she had received a call and was following it on the library TV. At recess I called all the teachers to the staff room. This was before cell phones were the method of communication. I told them not to mention anything to the children, that it should be their families who decided what and how much the children should know.

I had a group of teachers associated with the school who travelled from school to school dealing with emotionally fragile students. I remember 2 of them coming in and saying, "Don't watch the coverage of the towers coming down, the image will never leave you."
    And, of course, it never has.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@avoncallingu - that was one of the reasons I was glad I had time to talk to my son before he went to school - because I wasn't sure what or if teachers would be speaking to them about it.

My son is now almost 25, he was almost 10 then - and I asked him tonight what he remembered of that day. He said he remembered me talking to him about it while he had his breakfast - we were watching tv. He said at school his teacher talked to the class about it, in really general terms - but he said he really didn't understand it until he came home that night and we talked about it more - and, of course, by evening there was more information available. He said he wasn't scared.

Now let me say I wouldn't have been mad about teachers at his school speaking to the children - it was a very small school, and for the most part parents and families knew one another, and we were all very close to the teachers - so we would trust them if they were going to give any information.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    I was at Canadian Tire getting some keys cut when I heard that all the planes had been grounded and diverted to Canada. I didn't hear the rest of the story and the words "all the planes" didn't register in my mind. It didn't occur to me that something out of the ordinary had happened until I got back to the college campus and found everyone crowded around the TV in the cafeteria, so I asked a student what was going on.
    My parents were in Europe at the time and we didn't know when they would be allowed to come back. I would come home to an empty house and nothing on TV or radio but constant replays for days.
    It's like we all woke up that morning to a totally ordinary, sunny day and suddenly everything changed.
    Yes. I remember the planes stranded in Canada. The Americans were very happy to be in Gander NL.
    It was an open-hearted bear hug from famously giving people — an act of faith that restored hope in humankind for passengers stranded 10 years ago on 9-11 in Gander, N.L.Several grateful travellers whose planes were diverted to this central Newfoundland town on Sept. 11, 2001, returned Sunday for an emotional memorial service as similar events took place across the country.
    They wanted to thank Newfoundlanders and other Canadians who answered the terrorist attacks on the United States, not with fear or suspicion but with kindness for strangers.
    "It's something that I haven't found any place else, and I've travelled the world," Elaine Caiazzo of Bethpage, N.Y., said of the welcome she found in Gander.
    "The people were so kind to us. There was nothing that we had to do for ourselves. Everybody kept asking us: 'What can we do for you?'"

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09..._n_957214.html
    abbasgirl and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I was at work and heard about it on the radio. Totally horrible hearing very few details but horrifying watching about it. As there was no television at work I had to wait to watch when I got home.
    Natalka likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

The thing that bothered me the most was that my bf at the time didn't call or email me at home. It made me feel that I was not on his top list of priorities. I should have taken the hint as soon as it was hinted - we broke up a few years later after he had proven to be an *******. My biggest regret is that I did not move on after 9/11 and waited another 3 years.
    macw1960 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information