• 1 Post By homeofhappycats
  • 2 Post By eileen
  • 2 Post By homeofhappycats
  • 3 Post By Trev66
  • 3 Post By Kerri33029
  • 2 Post By macw1960

Thread: The Beer Store - Ontario

homeofhappycats
    Has anyone else noticed that they often shortchange you when you return empties? I used to write down what I was returning and hand it to the clerk so they wouldn't do that. I went last week, didn't write it down, and I'm sure I was shortchanged by a couple of dollars. I'm going to go back to writing it all down.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Hoisted by my own petard! eileen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You know that makes sense, I was always surprised at the small amount of cash I got back.
    The employees have been extremely rude to me on several occasions (all when returning empties), once my Dad came in with me and we were both shocked at an employee's demeanor, my Dad sent an email to the Beer Store and got a reply saying they knew exactly who we were talking about and the employee had been dealt with since.
    Cash back or not, I've stopped returning my empties since then. A lot of homeless people come around weekly to pick them up anyway.
    The Beer Store is awful for customer service! But where else are you gonna get beer? On that note, it's time for a cold one.

homeofhappycats
    How did you get a reply? Email or telephone? I've emailed them numerous times and have never gotten a return email. I don't like to give out my phone number since I like everything to be in writing. I figured that is why they never got back to me. The only phone number I have is a Skype number and it is in a New York area code.
    Today I went in, took plenty of time, wrote down everything, handed it to the guy, he said he has to count it anyways. I said that is fine. He gave me 30 cents more than I should have gotten. He was a nice guy.
    One other time I gave the paper to the clerk and she swatted it away like it was a piece of garbage! I complained about her. Never heard back.
    macw1960 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The two beer stores around here are really unpleasant to deal with. Between them and employees of the LCBO is like night and day. I only have a few wine bottles every now and then, so I just throw them out.... not worth the trip.
    macw1960, JDI007 and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

I always write down what we are taking back in, especially when you get a mix of 24's and 28 packs. We usually stock up and save them until we have enough for a twelve pack or case. The only problem was last time we went, they have a lip at thedoorway and the cart started to tip, and some of the bottles got broken.
    It does tick ya off when they are rude to you. It is part of their job to tak the empties, so many of the return places were getting ripped off, and the beer truck drivers were complaining so much about where and how to pick the empties up. Sad too, cause most of the drivers are really nice folks, had to deal with them alot over the years where I manage a bar/club.

Trading Score
    31 (100%)

Here in town we don't have a beer store only a LCBO,
    the empty beer bottles we have to bring to one gas station, they have a depot there, but the guy there is a total jerk... sorry!!

so I keep the cases in the garage until we have a truck load and drive to another town, there is a feed store that takes the beer returns, they are awesome there.

the wine bottles I have no clue where to bring them, so I just keep them until I find a good place to bring them.

PS: our LCBO is amazing the peoples that work there are great!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Fortunately I'm more of a wine than a beer drinker, so I only have to deal with the LCBO and the airport duty free shops. The odd case of beer, I'll buy it at the duty free before crossing back into Canada. There's never enough bottles to justify the drive to the Beer Store..... it'll cost more in gas, makes more sense to just to bin them.

homeofhappycats
    One day recently I had a day off so made two trips with my small shopping buggy. The moron told me I'm only allowed one trip a day! Well, if I had a big shopping cart I could have returned them in one trip, but since it is small it takes two trips! I emailed the beer store about him and of course did not hear back. That same guy once asked me if I wanted anything. I said yes, the Mike's Hard Lemonade. I saw it advertised as I was standing in line. He says they don't sell the bottles of it. I said I don't care what it comes in, just sell me the one that you have advertised for sale. It comes in a large bottle. Obviously I wouldn't be asking them for something that they don't have listed.
    macw1960 likes this.

Hoisted by my own petard! eileen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow, homeofhappycats, it sounds like that guy was completely lying to you! I've never seen Mike's Hard Lemonade in anything BUT glass bottles, and I'm sure you can take as many trips in a day as you like! It seems like everyone is begrudgingly doing their job all the time...if they hate dealing with empty bottles then why did they want to work at The Beer Store? It's not a new system for them or anything, I don't understand how some people can get away with their attitude.

To answer your question I think we got both a letter and a phone call...I don't quite remember. But my Dad is phenomenal at making sales associates, managers, telemarketers, etc. bend to his will...or make them cry. A lot of companies pretty much rely on their clientele to not give enough of a crap to complain.

How come it's one big booze monopoly in Canada anyway? I don't think I would rather have a system like The States where pretty much anyone can sell liquor, but it's a little odd that there's one place for wine and spirits and one place for beer. The LCBO customer service has always been superb though, wouldn't change that.

homeofhappycats
    That particular beer store only sells it in a liter plastic bottle. That's what they advertised for sale. It was $9 or something. So when he asked me what I want I said the Mike's Hard Lemonade. The guy is just really dumb. Rather that just selling me it, he assumed I wanted it in the glass bottles like they sell at the LCBO, so he tells me they don't sell it in the bottles. I never said I wanted it in anything other than what they advertised. He's just a dumb guy. I pointed to the sign and said that is what I want. He might have just as easily told me they don't sell it with a label in Spanish. I never asked for a label in Spanish.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would say 4 out of 5 times they short change me, NEVER the other way around. I count every time... and they are usually very rude.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Today, I returned 38 wine bottles and 40 beer bottles. I told the beer store guy 3 times. He gave me $10.80. So I was short changed 4 wine bottles or 8 beer bottles. Next time I will write down the number..Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by homeofhappycats View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that they often shortchange you when you return empties? I used to write down what I was returning and hand it to the clerk so they wouldn't do that. I went last week, didn't write it down, and I'm sure I was shortchanged by a couple of dollars. I'm going to go back to writing it all down.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

We always know what we should be getting back before we go into the Beer Store before we return DH's empties.
    Ciel and seylz_gurl like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Thread Information