User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trading Score
    445 (99%)

I usually pay our babysitter $20 for 2-3 hours, $30 for 4-5. Shes happy with anything. Our son is 7 so he doesnt need much like a baby would. We have no yet left the baby with anyone (he's 9 months!!)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I enquired here in Kingston ON...an adult babysitter wanted $20/hr for my 2 kids (2.5yr and 6mth)...that was way too much for me, so she lowered it to $15/hr..still too much, so I said forget it...still looking for a teenager or college student who'd do it for whatever I can afford(they are happy just to get money).
    Racket

Trading Score
    134 (100%)

I am a university or just garduated. I have been a nany for the same family for the past 3 summers. I get paid $10 an hour. I think that is quite reasonable. I charge the same for 1 or 2 kids. I would charge $12 for 3 or more. And if it is two families joining together for a babysitter I charge $15 per hour.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Bargainshopper: now that is very reasonable!
    Racket

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I do not have children and have not babysat since about 2003. Back then, I babysat an infanct (about 6months), and a two year old. Sometimes also a 9yr old. I gave her a good rate as a favour to my dad. She worked in a bar and I was paid $20 day/night.
    I agree that you should ask her how much she is expecting and guarantee $20 each time.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I have actually come across ads the odd time where people are advertising that they want to pay $3.00 -$4.00 an hour for babysitting, and this is in the GTA! Absolutely insane, but they would justify it by saying that's what they got paid 20 years ago when they did babysitting!

I don't have kids, but plan on having them, hopefully getting started within the next year (at my age my biological clock is ticking). I wouldn't dream of paying less than minimum wage, as a minimum. Right now that's $9.50, going up to $10.25 March 31, 2010.

Like someone else had mentioned, I would pay the minimum if the kids were asleep and she just had to sit there and watch TV til I got home, but I would definitely pay more if the kids were awake and she was doing stuff with them.

For me, $18.00 an hour seems a little steep, unless she was a professional nanny who graduated from one of those nanny schools!
    Last edited by thecountess; Mon, Aug 10th, 2009 at 06:48 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm 36 but when I babysat as a teen did tones of babysitting. A word of advice ... I was always available for those that paid me well and were on time getting home, I always seemed to be to busy for those that didn't pay well, or seemed to take advantage of me.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

In my area Its about $5 an hour

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I babysit 3 kids for 6-7 hours a day I get 50$ a day, the kids are 3, 4, 6. I provide meals and snacks. If I leave my daughter with a sitter (usually my brother) I pay him 20$. She is always all ready in bed asleep so he gets to watch tv and eat lol

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I think Chantal has a point. But in my city graduates from the Early Childhood Education program only make about $10-13/h, and they have completed a 2 year college course, have a current Standard Level First Aid and Level 'C' CPR, as well as having done placement in nursery schools, etc. It is hard to even find a McJob in this city, and once you have them they're hell. I would MUCH rather work for $40/day babysitting an infant than working at McDonalds for minimum wage being verbally abused by staff, coworkers and customers.

Minimum wage at least seems reasonable for people who are going to be taking care of your children, but in my part of Ontario ANY job is hard to find, regardless of your qualifications. In a better economic climate it makes sense people would be paid more, but right now I know University graduates pretty happy with their $40/day babysitting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information