User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thought I would post this as a warning in case anyone else gets called.

I got a phone call from Ramada Plaza Resorts to do a short phone survey about how often do I go on vacation and where, typical $$ spent and if I was married (yes).

As a thank you, I would be entered in a draw to win a Florida cruise vacation - please could we have your email. Gave them the one I use for contests.

Got the following note today (I added the red font):
    We’re thrilled to advise you that you and your family have been selected for one of this years prestigious promotional holidays. We’d also like to thank you for your participation and registration in this years national travel survey. As a VIP and preferred guest you and your family will be rewarded with a vacation package offer of a lifetime. Remember, this luxurious cruise vacation has been set aside and reserved in your name.
    While you’re at Ramada Plaza Resorts OFV you’ll stay at Gold Key accommodations and have access to all resort facilities. Plus there’s so much to see and do here; from golfing to the many major attractions like Universal Studios and Walt Disney World. This is everything you could want in a vacation – and all for an incredibly small fee.
    Due to the overwhelming popularity of this promotion, packages are limited and are rewarded to selected participants only and are not available to the general public.
    A promotions manager will contact you within the next few days to go over all the exciting details of your vacation package.
    Total Vacation - 15 Days and 14 Nights
    View our website at: www.vacationmoments.com

Problem?
    Ramada Plaza Resorts is NOT affiliated with Ramada Plaza Hotel. I called the hotel chain and their customer service said that Ramada is in litigation with the resort to get them to stop using the name.

I got fooled because the call display says "Ramada" when they phone. Also I happen to be a member of the hotel loyalty program, so I thought it was legit.

I haven't been recontacted yet, but all signs point to a scam.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

bcteagirl
    Oh wow... sorry to hear that Alajen.. that must have been both dissapointing and infuriating... you were very smart to call Ramada directly!

Prue
    I agree that's awful and its a good thing you called!

I saw a news program a long time ago that said if you win something and they want you to pay anything (aside from taxes, duty etc) to claim your prize its not likely legit.

Mom-on-the-go
    I received the exact same phonecall and e-mail. They phoned late at night. I was tired and after answering all her questions "Victoria" was her name. I asked her " I am talking to someone representing Ramada Hotel Chains right?" She answered yes. Of course she is lying. I went on line, doing a search of vacationmoments.com and you will see others who wrote blogs about this scam artist and lost their deposits. I showed my son and hopefully it is a good learning experience. A little bit of truth and a whole lot of B.S.

Glad to know there is a site like this. I'm new to this website and find it full of helpful info. Good luck!!

Have a Banana Daily Beast Master's Avatar
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Ramada Plaza Resorts OFV has been around for years, I remember getting "certificates" in the mail that was basically the same scam.
    It is amazing that they have been allowed to get away with this misrepresentation so long.
    Please vote daily for my ferret site.
    http://1award.co.uk/addvote.php?vote=3368

lakshyt
    oh.. wow.. i dont know what i just did...

i received a call from these guys 5 minutes ago. they were asking for my dad. i told them to remove my name from their call list right away, and he said something about me forfeiting. They asked if I was Mr. (Lastname) and I went ahead and said yes. The person was explaining to me how i had made a deposit for [my dads] ticket around 3 years ago and i have not taken my opportunity to pay [my wifes] ticket and travel.
    i told him that i would like to cancel and forfeit my deposit. he then exclaimed that I would still need to pay for the other ticket since i signed that i would take the package.

it all went downhill from there as then i explained that i wasnt the person he was looking for and what not..?! and that im going to/and did screw up my dad?!..

can someone please explain to me the implications of this phone call.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

It sounds like these scammers are trying to squeeze money out of your Dad. Getting a last name and phone number out of a phone book or marketing list is pretty easy. Then it is a matter of trying to bully the person into giving out more information: address, credit card number, etc.

lakshyt
    is it possible for them to do anything with credit ratings?!

edit:

since I heard him talk about this deal he got years ago... but i guess didnt follow up with it... but he paid for the deposit according to 'ramada'...

now they claim that he owes them money so either he pays for another ticket and takes advantage of the trip.. or pay what he 'owed' and lose everything.!

this is really ridiculous.

guardianoffun
    Just received a phone call exactly as you all described above. I got a # code to use to claim my prize if I won. So am I to understand that this is all a fraud? Geeze...that sucks! I was already packed. LOL Just kidding, but where do they get off? Calling in the late evening and getting a working persons hopes up. Oh well, guess I'll just have to earn that vacation away.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lakshyt View Post
    is it possible for them to do anything with credit ratings?!

edit:

since I heard him talk about this deal he got years ago... but i guess didnt follow up with it... but he paid for the deposit according to 'ramada'...

now they claim that he owes them money so either he pays for another ticket and takes advantage of the trip.. or pay what he 'owed' and lose everything.!

this is really ridiculous.
    It is actually pretty scary what info you can get with some starter information. Think about any customer service phone calls you have had with credit card folks. You confirm your name, address, credit card number, plus one piece of info (mother's maiden name or your birthday, for example), then you can get access to other info.

I have heard of people using birth certificates for newborns to apply for store charge cards (easiest to fraud), then take off from there.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

That is pretty scary.

ottawagurl
    OK, so I actually went on one of these BUT I went actually doing research and finding out it was a Time Share Vacation thing AFTER my boyfriend paid them 500.00.... But we went on it and had a friggin BLAST! it was seriously the best vacation I ever had that were actually going again this year. We went 2 yrs ago and had 3 nights in 3 different places in florida. We knew we had to go to 2 seminars where they tried to selll us a time share but we just told them we cant afford it and were super nice about it about it. The meetings only lasted an hour and half and the second meeting was optional IF you wanted FREE tickets to orlando? Umm why would you NOT?!?! You get a car for 7 days, mileaged paid for.. a really nice hotel room, and you can friggin drive your ass anywhere you want? Your paything pretty much the same amouth though if you were to go on an all expense paid trip to somewhere hot.. but with this trip we got our own car to go to amazing beach's and orlando, and shopping, etc, etc. we got free tickets to orlando, food IS! included but not drinks or alcohol so bring your own... so yeah - I would MUCH prefer this kind of trip then being stuck in a resort for a week... going to 3 different parts of florida and exploring them was just so much fun. so to the millions and millions of letters and complaints I have read.. you have to KNOw that it is a time share vacation you are going on and you do need to go to 2 seminars - peoople dont know this and it ruins there vacation when they get there cause they think there getting ripped off.... anyways, if any of you have questions you can write to me here.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Beast Master View Post
    Ramada Plaza Resorts OFV has been around for years, I remember getting "certificates" in the mail that was basically the same scam.
    I just received one of these certificates in the mail the other day.

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

We get those calls -all- the time at our house. Thank you for Caller-ID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous1
    My fiance and I have recieved a travel voucher for 2 from this company an everything meets the descriptions above. Just to forwarn anyone who reads this thread, they have reworded things a little. The voucher we recieved promised the exact same as any others however it was sent in light of "exceptional credit history" as a reward. This company has no affiliation with our bank nor does privacy legislation allow anyone access to our credit history who isn't authorized and last time I checked, resorts sending promotions are not authorized. MY fiance and I were looking forward to a nice honeymoon and we considered this a blessing at first, but it was far from it. I'm glad we found this before we screwed ourselves over. Thanks largely to everyone who posted, you saved us alot of grief. Any new info, reply to me so I can keep my eye open.

~Anonymous1~

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information