User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Has anyone used columbia house to order dvd's?
    how was your experience?
    also does anyone know if there are any other companies offering the same type of ordering service for dvd's?

thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

A few years ago my dh and I did this. We got our some many movies for a 1 cent but after that the prices for the movies are so much!! Also you have to make sure that you answer all of there selections of the month or you may end up getting a movie you don't want. I also moved and called to change my address well that ended up being a big problem and my selection cards where going to someone else. It's not bad but I think you would be better off buying your movies from walmart or somewhere else.

I think Disney also has something like this.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

I agree, they bug you forever (even after your subscription is done)
    and in the long run its much cheaper to buy DVDs at the store than what you end up paying.
    I ended up getting a movie a month, and had to retirn to sender, what a hassle, especially hounding them to make sure it was taken off of my account.

if you want to rent DVD's they have companies like netflix but i don't know of any others to buy (plus I think they are alkl about the same, they have to make their money)
    Last edited by melissa.k; Mon, Nov 23rd, 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never even ordered from them once and they actually sent me off and on for about twenty years offers to join their music club.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i figured that if i order the minimum number of movies, it will work out to about 11 bucks per dvd.
    i want to get shrek 1/2/3, madagascar 1/2 etc. and these movies are more expensive in the stores.

confuzzled
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They're a ripoff. I had problems with them. Apparently their customer service agents can't understand english as i had to tell them numerous times to cancel my subscription. And they also sent me movies i never requested (the movie of the month or whatever it's called), i declined it online,and they said i didn't. Plus they sucker you in with the 1 penny movies, as once you have to start paying full price, movies are overpriced. This was a few years back, so things must've changed.

Only positive thing i can say about them is i did receive all the movies i requested and in good time.
    Last edited by curt81; Mon, Nov 23rd, 2009 at 06:34 PM.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

I agree with all of the other negative comments posted.

It was a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

BlockBuster has great sales on used DVDs. I've been buying them for years and never had a problem with them. If you can wait one or two months until the movie's popularity has fizzled a bit, they sell their leftover copies. Sometimes, you can get 25% of ticket price, or buy 3 get 1 free... Usually get 4 movies for under 20$

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Sorry, advice is to NOT go with Columbia House. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
    As someone else suggested, to get family movies, what we used to do was get them from a video store after the furor of a new movie dies down. They are in fine shape and cheap!
    Another thing is to watch out for buying dvds on the day/week they come out. They always seem to be cheapest on the first day with all the promos.

Here's all three Shrek movies for 39.99, free shipping
    http://www.amazon.ca/The-Shrek-Trilo...9083508&sr=1-2
    It's the same price at Future Shop online, maybe in-store too.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kareninottawa View Post
    BlockBuster has great sales on used DVDs. I've been buying them for years and never had a problem with them. If you can wait one or two months until the movie's popularity has fizzled a bit, they sell their leftover copies. Sometimes, you can get 25% of ticket price, or buy 3 get 1 free... Usually get 4 movies for under 20$

I do the same. We buy the 4 previously viewed movies for $20. It ends up being about the same price as renting anyway, and they have a guarantee so if you get a DVD that doesn't play well, you can return it.

$5 per movie for choices that are usually pretty current is the best price I've seen and it is totally hassle free.
    Join Swagbucks for free GCs & prizes, just by searching: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Chicka
    PM me for a Lockerz.com invite.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Like everybody else here, I've had a negative experience with ordering DVDs through Columbia House. If you don't mind used copies, a lot of video rental places sell them cheap after a couple of months, or you could wait even a bit longer and get them from Walmart. Now when I want to buy DVDs online, I buy through Best Buy/Future Shop (have them ship to store for free shipping), or use Amazon.ca for rarer titles.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

thanks for the input! i didn't really think about the used/previously viewed thing.
    i used to order cd's from bmg and columbia house YEARS back, but i guess their service isn't what it used to be.
    R

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

the new chcanada.com is completely different. In fact its pretty good, they just want you to buy 2 discs a year you can cancel anytime after that. Some dvd's are super cheap.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

people still order from columbia house? really?
    I used to get cds from them back in the 90s! wow, I sound old, my mom ordered them.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Ya the new chcanada is no membership fee and only 1.99 shipping, and their speedy to mail out, theres no mailings or anything at all, just 2 dvds a year from 5.99 and up and you can cancel in writing after that anytime. No big. And theres really cheap ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information