User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sleep Deprived
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I am sorry to hear about the terrible way that you were treated, Miss Sad. I know how horrible it feels to be unfairly accused of something that you hadn't done and then to have the person who made that mistake not give a sincere apology.
    I don't know much about how theft prevention works, but I vaguely remember that security has to actually see you steal something and walk out before they can stop you and accuse you of theft. Just because you walked into the change room with a tank top and didn't come out with it doesn't mean that you stole it. People leave behind clothing that they have tried on in the change room all the time. Does that mean every second person that goes into a change room is going to be accused of theft? If the security woman knew what she was doing, she should have checked with the change room staff first to establish that NO tank top was left behind, then detain you when you walked out.
    If you want to pursue this, you should check with a lawyer what your rights are in this case. Here in BC, we have a program where you can pay $10 for a 30 mins consultation with a lawyer. I am not sure if that program is available country wide. There are also programs where you can consult a law student from a university for free.
    I am suggesting that you find out what your rights are first so that you can send a letter to the CEO of HSBC. Companies tend to perk their ears up if they think that there is a possibility for a potential lawsuit. If you know what your rights are and how they were violated, you might have a better chance of getting satisfaction.
    Based on your posts, I am guessing that English is your second language. If my guess is wrong, you can smack me on the side of my head
    I am wondering if there was some racism/stereotyping/racial profiling in your case if you are not white. Whether society in general likes to admit it or not, certain ethnic types are perceived to be more likely to be dishonest and devious, and people will react according to the stereotype, no matter how wrong it is in each particular case.
    Good luck!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just a point here, you can actually sue the security for humiliation and such. They have admitted that they made a mistake. Sorry isn't good enough here. I would talk to a lawyer about this, get their advice on the matter and perhaps get them to write a letter to HBC.

And if this were to ever happen again, you are in your right to refuse them access to your baggage. Get them to call the cops and inform them that if they try to take you into custody, you will sue them for wrongful custody.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If they did not take a picture of you or taken your name down, within a week or two, just go back and continue shopping as usual.
    ________
    DR-Z400
    Last edited by win-star; Sun, Jan 23rd, 2011 at 07:41 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you Junerose and Fozzie and others on this forum :-

Junerose, you are right, I am an asian, came from South-East Asia 15 years ago, brought up in a good family. Educated in a multi-racial country, I remember when I first go to school, my 1st chapter is about people, we have to respect their culture, religion and love them as ONE, then chapter 2 is about mannerism.

So when I came to Canada, colour is not a problem, because I don't know what is the problem. We all still drink the same water, my friends and co-workers are White, brown, east-indians, aboriginal. I have no problem at all, well-liked and respected by all level of people in the work place.

I remembered one time a co-worker came up to me and said " she did this because we are not white " I looked at her and said " don't she goes to school "
    Maybe, there is racist in this Country - it makes me more sad to know now.

But Junerose, I wish that woman security at THE BAY had 1% of your intelligence.
    I was told by the Security Manager that she is quite good, but this is an odd one
    and plus he said everybody makes mistake. But I don't agree with him, is not like passing a test with 90%, she had to have 120% inorder to pass. Wow .. I have to comment she is pretty but not much brain.

But thank you again, somebody from the loss management called me today, you can feel his ( spirit is high, I don't feel much sincere talking to him ) told him 2 things I want him to do

1) Mall security took my ID, I don't want any record in their computer system
    incase they link across the province.

2) A written apology from THE BAY

Don't feel any heart there, sure ... sure I will do that, that it, too happy a guy to talk to. Well, what is done is over, there is no point to cry over spill milk. I want to return my blouse to THE BAY and that will be my last time there.

Like to ask - Boxing day will be around the corner, if I post my story as a warning to all SHOPPER at the Red.com .... am I mean ? Because I only regain my innocent when they see me in that fitting-room, undressed to dressed.

I am in the process of healling, but I still like to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

We should boycott THE BAY including Zellers and Outfitters, Give them the ripple effect.
    If they are in such a rush to arrest someone without proof. I would be scare to go there.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I mean reddeal.com

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OH no ... they won't allow it but anyway ... thanks to all who read my story and give me feed-back, I felt 20X better hearing from the people with hearts here then anyone at THE BAY.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

The problem with bringing tank tops into a change room, is that they're soooo easy to steal. Anyways, what they did to you was awful. This is why I *always* make sure I show every item I'm trying on to the attendent, and then hand them back once I'm done, too much room for error otherwise.

I'd look into sueing them, even if you're only going to threaten, they give you something to compensate at least...

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

How awful!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    -2 (0%)

In Saskatoon as soon as anyone who's Native comes into the BAY a voice on the loud speaker will say security in aisle 9,I'm not Native but I have been offended by this for years,Hbc stores have a reputation for doing this I have complained years ago about this policy.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glenglen View Post
    In Saskatoon as soon as anyone who's Native comes into the BAY a voice on the loud speaker will say security in aisle 9,I'm not Native but I have been offended by this for years,Hbc stores have a reputation for doing this I have complained years ago about this policy.

that is the most absurd thing that I have all day, do native people steal a lot?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

sue them

Trading Score
    68 (97%)

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I know how hard Loss Prevention Officers work at preventing crime and theft in stores. I've had to work closely with them in some previous jobs. Please understand that it was stated that the tank top was removed from a 2 piece shirt set -tagged and meant to be kept as such-(unusual behaviour in the eyes of a LPO) and then taken into a dressing room with another article of clothing. And then only one article of clothing was taken by the customer to the checkout. This is what a floor walker/loss prevention officer would of seen. Granted the room could of been checked if there was time- which in this case it sounds like it didn't happen. The officers did their jobs. They stopped a person and inquired about an apparently missing item last seen with a customer. The customer volunteered to open her bag, and show under her shirt in a public setting. They could of easily taken her back to their office to resolve the situation. I would read this more like a cautionary tale. Don't separate outfits to mix and match. Take the whole thing to the dressing room.
    I'm glad that it was investigated further and they admited their error after reviewing the video. You won't get a personal apoligy from a specific officer for their security they don't give their names unless for police documents. You didn't get charged with theft. I don't know what you would be expecting HBC or the mall to do. The officers did their job. (They could of been mean-trust me-I've seen some bad aprehensions!)
    I can understand your frusteration but the officers had every right to excercise their caution. A store does have the right to refuse service for any reason- and they chose to evoke that choice with the ban. But, yet again, with an investigation, that was lifted.
    **on the upside- you did buy a shirt that probably looks great**
    Last edited by missbobloblaw; Mon, Dec 28th, 2009 at 03:49 AM.

Trading Score
    68 (97%)

thats crap. If that was the case they would only page the same page ALL DAY/EVERY DAY! Saskatoons Native community isn't a small community.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I've spent alot of time in the Bay here in Saskatoon, and have rarely heard the call for security.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information