User Tag List

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Based on the feedback so far, I though I would try to have a thread about Freebies, like the little thing started about Contests.

Here are some ideas about possible topics:
    * Checking if freebie is legitimate, scams
    * Finding freebies (non-freebie site searching) - in progress
    * What is a valid freebie - age restrictions, US-only offers, hidden fees (deals) - in progress
    * Searching SC for existing posts (reposts) - in progress
    * How to post a new freebie, what to include - in progress
    * How to request/apply for a freebie - in progress
    * Other ideas??

I am a novice in freebie hunting, so I would need help from our more experienced hunters.

Freebie scams“There is no such thing as a free lunch.”

To protect yourself from getting scammed, you first need to understand WHY freebies are given out in the first place.

The company/organization that offers free trials or samples does it because they WANT something from you:
    • Your business – you will buy their product
    • Product/company awareness – promotional item to generate more publicity
    • Market research – sometimes you get asked to fill in a survey
    If a site is offering something for FREE and doesn’t appear to be getting anything out of it, you should be suspicious. The personal info you entered in the freebie request form has been “harvested” and sold to the highest bidder. Chances are, you will never get the freebie, and you will be flooded with spam and junk mail for months afterwards.

Warning signs of a possible scam
    • The web site or URL does not make sense. Meaning, if Olay offers a sample or freebie, the URL should start www.olay.com, or something similar. If it is being offered by www.joesfreebies.com/olay, then the freebie might not be legit.
    • The web site has the word “FREE” in it, like free-cash.com or free-stamps.ca. If the freebie is coming from a legitimate company, why not offer the freebie through the corporate website where people are more likely to find it?
    • If the web site has just the freebie request with NOTHING else of value on the site. Meaning, no buttons to click to get the main web page, no info on the company. So, if the web address is metelle.com/SampleRequest, click on the URL on the browser, then backspace the text until you have the home page (metelle.com). Then hit “enter”. If you get an error or a blank page… watch out!
    • The freebie form asks for CRITICAL info that has nothing to do with the freebie
      • Birthdate – this one is tricky, since sometimes it is a legal requirement. For example, matches are a smoking accessory, so you may be asked to confirm your age. I would only put in my age, or my YEAR of birth – month and date are unnecessary
      • Social insurance number – NOT required under any circumstances
      • Passport number – not needed, unless you are expected to leave the country to pick up your freebie
      • Credit card number – why the heck would they need this if it’s a freebie?
    • If it sounds too good to be true. Example: Free 2-day vacation cruise. What better place than a ship to pressure-sell – you have no where to run!
    What if I suspect a scam?
    • Don’t fill in the request form. That freebie may look tempting, but trust your gut feeling. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
    • Contact the company.
      • As a responsible citizen, I usually do an INDEPENDENT search by typing in the company name in a search engine. DON’T click on button provided by the freebie site – you’re better off asking a criminal’s mother for a character reference. Use the “Contact Us” on the corporate site to alert the company of a possible scam – I copy and paste the URL on the email as a courtesy.
      • You will get the satisfaction of knowing that you are protecting other people from getting ripped off.
    Resources to check if a site is legitimate

Whois – www.whois.net
    • This site calls up the registration information for a web site. You type in the domain name (the web site address) and Whois will display the registration and contact info that was entered by the person who purchased the domain name.
    • NOTE: Whois will display the information entered by the domain name owner – which is not necessarily the truth. However, you should be suspicious if the registration info looks fishy, since a legitimate business will have correct info.
    Non-profit organizations and charities registry
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/charities/menu-e.html
    • Government of Canada web site that show all the charities and organizations that have not-for-profit status.
    This thread is currently associated with: Independent, Olay
    Last edited by alajen; Mon, Jun 11th, 2007 at 07:11 PM. Reason: posted first installment of tips - scams

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

this sounds like a good idea we can include the copying and pasting links too and the whois info stuff
    and i can help with all the freebie finding stuff i have been taught by someone really good lol

Being Polite Is Very Easy WandaJean's Avatar
    Trading Score
    31 (97%)

I'd like it..a little sticky reminder.

remarker
    How do you find time to do all this?
    I search for freebies myself a little (stuff I want) but am a little scared of SC freebie section as well as asking for samples where I don't know the company.
    I've been getting tips but if all the tips are in the same place it would be easier not to miss anything

Would love to see a guide.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I'd love to see a guide ... especially for finding new freebies.

psilocybe
    I'm interested in such a guide

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Ok, here is the first installment.

Feel free to post comments or suggestions here. I will add more as I go.

Have to pick Rose's brain as well for a couple of the sections.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

ok let me know for which sections and i will get something put together im assuming for the how to search for freebies lol

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Excellent start ... I've already learned a few things. Could we "stick" it at the top so it's easy to find? TIA

bcteagirl
    Gread thanks! boo moved all of the other ones to sight related posts,so just following his lead...

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

bump!

Thread Information