User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Disability tax certificate

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

2 of my children get this for cognitive disabilities( ADHD).
    We applied this year and are being back paid to 2002, which was when the program became effective as well as having our income tax reassessed. It wasn't hard to fill out and I wish I would have known about them qualifying years ago. This money is a blessing to our large family, but it would have enabled me to continue working outside the home. I quit my 13 yr job because I could not afford to pay for the extra childcare they required while I was at work...

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mamaofmany View Post
    2 of my children get this for cognitive disabilities( ADHD).
    We applied this year and are being back paid to 2002, which was when the program became effective as well as having our income tax reassessed. It wasn't hard to fill out and I wish I would have known about them qualifying years ago. This money is a blessing to our large family, but it would have enabled me to continue working outside the home. I quit my 13 yr job because I could not afford to pay for the extra childcare they required while I was at work...
    I had no idea you could get it for ADHD! That's fantastic.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Hollyhill
    Trading Score
    357 (100%)

Only Type 1 fully insulin dependent diabetes qualifies. Not type 2 diabetes. Type 1 qualifies because of the amount of time needed to give insulin, keep records, plan, take care of pump and change sites, give injections, test etc... And the extra amount of care required during illness.
    hogama likes this.
    Looking for: Yogurt (FPCs)

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you have a child with a disability, once you receive this certificate if you are eligible to, you can get your taxes reassessed to when they were born.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am hoping to get this form filled out by my Dr. this month when I get in to see her. I'm honestly surprised she has never mentioned this to me herself, given the (continued) struggle we've had to find me medication(s) to treat my severe ADHD.

Crossing my fingers that I'm approved, as this would be a blessing for our struggling family.
    Support local Canadian talent! Basalisk

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jul 20th, 2013 at 09:18 PM.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashedfc View Post
    Persons on disability, RDSP (Registered Disability Savings Plan) is a better way for planning for future. For every $1500 contribution, govt. adds $3500 into it, making a total of $5000.
    Where can you get the govt. to pay $3500 (just for opening an account & adding $1500).
    My son is 20 and we have always received the disability tax credit for him (severely autistic); if we pay in to the RDSP, does that cancel out the tax credit we get on his behalf (as he will always be in our care)?
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:01 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was approved for CPP-D which I consider a miracle as though I certinly have issues, I thought you pretty much had to be dead to get approved without even an appeal. The only reason I applied was because I m on disability and they required me to file for CPPD so they in turn could claw back 90% of the CPPD amount. Plus, the CPPD amount is taxable where the insurance money was not. I am still glad to be getting it though as it seems more long-term and gives me some income if I need to fight my private insurer's disability "change of definition" thats coming up.

I did not however get approved for the DTC. They requested more info but my physician did not get the forms on time (over Christmas) . I am going to re-submit and we'll see what happens . My GP seems behind me as I explained they need more info and he said we'll take care of it. I guess I AM sick, after all!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhill View Post
    Only Type 1 fully insulin dependent diabetes qualifies. Not type 2 diabetes. Type 1 qualifies because of the amount of time needed to give insulin, keep records, plan, take care of pump and change sites, give injections, test etc... And the extra amount of care required during illness.
    I`ve been aware of this for over a year ..yet I dont feel right asking the Dr. to fill out the form..I treat my diabetes more as an incovenience as opposed to a disability..but as I age the fustration is growing so I may bring it up just for that.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
    I have nothing to do today and hope to be half done by noon.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

interesting reads thank you.
    never judge a book by it's cover...
    You reap what you sow...
    Karmas a bi***....

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

What if someone has been diagnosed with a rare form of terminal cancer that is supposed to off them in 6-8 months, would they qualify for the tax credit?

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkLincoln View Post
    What if someone has been diagnosed with a rare form of terminal cancer that is supposed to off them in 6-8 months, would they qualify for the tax credit?
    Oh dear.

It's not very likely, only because it is based on one's limitations (walking, seeing, hearing, etc). Can't hurt to try, tho.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by newb View Post
    I`ve been aware of this for over a year ..yet I dont feel right asking the Dr. to fill out the form..I treat my diabetes more as an incovenience as opposed to a disability..but as I age the fustration is growing so I may bring it up just for that.
    Ask...

As I posted earlier, the doctor has a great deal of flexibility.

Loves codes of all kinds hogama's Avatar
    Trading Score
    196 (100%)

I'm just in the middle of this now. I have been approved for the DTC for Type 1 Diabetes. I was told to have my income tax reassessed back to 2004.... although I was Dx'ed in 1980. My son has also been approved for the DTC for Autism... and I can have my Income Tax reassessed back to the year he was born, although he only had a Dx since last summer. Cross your fingers for me that I did everything correctly!
    Insane and i_forget like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information