User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who uses coupons the most and the least, and why - Must Read Article

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Hmmm..interesting. In my early 20's we had little to no money. I didn't use coupons (other than superstore in store coupons) because for the most part NoName products were still cheaper than big names with a coupon. It wasn't until I got more money and a VEHICLE that I was able to price match and use the coupons I found at multiple stores on sale items...then I was able to beat NoName prices, sometimes by quite a bit. When I used to have to carry my groceries on transit, it made more sense for me to shop at one store..hope this makes sense but there are other reasons low income people do not use coupons...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

I grew up with my mom using coupons but things were much different when I was a kid. We used to laugh thinking it was funny mom getting the deals. LOL! She has also stongly suggested stocking up on things on sale(if you have the extra money). With this being said, it has influenced me to use coupons. Before I joined SC I used to use a lot of store specific coupons or occassional coupons from the newspaper, or ones friends would collect and give me. Being on here is a different world with access to find so much more than you could ever imagine finding on your own. It's true, if I go somewhere and they don't want to take my coupon I will go somewhere else. I also warn other friends and family who may use the same coupons at that store. No sense in crying over spilt milk.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can see why some of the points in this article would be valid. Also, I think coupon use takes strategic planning and organization skills, skills which you'd be more likely to find in certain socioeconomic groups.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I started couponing when I had kids, and started using diaper coupons. It's been a while now, and I use coupons all the time - on everything I can. Funny how before I never used to really even notice the coupons and now it seems like I see them everywhere. I remember my mom using coupons and telling me as a child that you should never take the last one because it's bad luck.

I now work with some low income families and sometimes tink of what they could be saving....
    Last edited by wbmommy; Sat, May 8th, 2010 at 12:24 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

BUMP for NEWBIES ... don't be scared to use coupons & save money .

The more people use coupons the more the cashiers & the stores will know how to handle them & the more manufacturer's will issue them as they get the sale eventually .

The coupon use rate has to go up .. right now I don't think even 2 % of the coupons that are out there get used .

I have seen people picking up an item in a grocery store & right in front of the item there is huge coupon pad with tons of coupons on them for that same item but for some reason they don't bother to take that coupon with them to cash

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

BUMP for NEWBIES

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Strategic planning and organizational skills are to be found in every segment of our social and economic structure--no matter who you are or how many digits are in your income.

It all depends on whether or not a person sees the benefit of using coupons, and puts forth the time and effort to learn how to do it most effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by dilbrt View Post
    I can see why some of the points in this article would be valid. Also, I think coupon use takes strategic planning and organization skills, skills which you'd be more likely to find in certain socioeconomic groups.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Bump

Trading Score
    96 (100%)

Since I started using SC webpage; I started using coupons.
    Before I would not even check the flyer; but I would go to the same "chinese supermarket" get my fruits and vegetables because they have them cheaper than other grocery stores. Then, I became pregnant and one thing leads to another - starting collecting formula coupons when I was still pregnant - buying baby stuff on special and using coupons at the same time - then doing my grocery also. The problem was that I was not familiar...didn't know how to use them...
    and in the begining I remember I was so shy to present a coupon; if they would say something I would not even say anything back - but as time goes by and you become more familiar - you become a "coupon expert" - and that's how you start saving money....
    It makes you feel great!

Trading Score
    45 (96%)

great article. Its so true! I started using coupons when I was pregnant and searching online on how to save money which lead me to this site. I think If it were not for this site and the people on here, I would have been discouraged along time ago. You get the most nasty attitude from cashiers and managers and even people in line. I do not care anymore!! I am saving money on this stuff so we can put that money into more important things. People may have other hobbies that cost them money, but this is one of my hobbies and it is saving me money!!!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I think that if I didn't stumble upon SC, I probably wouldn't feel as confidant in my couponing. Many of you have given such great advice and encouragement either directly or indirectly, and that helps me to feel more confidant in what I am doing and how to speak to the cashier to ensure that I get a fair deal.

If only everyone had their own little cheering section to help them get what they rightly deserve :D

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by carmelon View Post
    I noticed a similar trend when it comes to grocery shopping. I used to work in an affluent suburb and would grocery shop in that SOF on 15% tuesday. The lines would go around the whole perimiter of the store and wind through a couple of aisles too! We're talking an hour wait to check out! I moved to an area that was being redeveloped" (somewhat poorer) that had a SOf and was shocked to find on the first 15% tuesday NO LINEUP. So strange that the population in a poor area would not take advantage but a richer population would?
    I think that one of the big limitations for lower income people on SOF 15% off days is that you have to spend $50... I don't have a car and usually go to the grocery store 3 or more times a week to take lighter loads. I rarely spend more than $25 at a time at the grocery store bc the purchases get too heavy. I am already planning what I will buy on Tuesday to try and make it to $50 on only things that I need and are reasonably priced and be able to carry it all.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Interesting read for sure. Thanks for the post.

I'd have to agree with most of what the article has to say- when I was a student and didn't have a pot to pee in, I didn't use coupons or stock up during sales. I was too busy just trying to survive and keep the electricity connected. lol.

To "stockpile" or "stash away" for a rainy day is not in the realm of possibility when you're struggling to get by. In order to really take advantage of the coupons and sales, you have to have a little extra money floating around...which isn't the case when you're living "hand to mouth." And yeah, coupons would've felt like a reminder of the poverty I was experiencing; I wouldn't have had the confidence to use them or to argue with a cashier when I was already worried whether the transaction would clear on my debit card. No way.

I started using coupons last spring and I freakin' love it. I usually find my best coupons in Metro or SDM. Those are the stores I don't ever shop in because their prices are too steep for my budget. lol. So I take my awesome coupons and run to the nearest No Frills. hahaha. But, in a way, the fact that I only ever find coupons in higher end stores affirms the article's idea that perhaps there are more "middle class" coupon users.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kschott View Post
    I think that one of the big limitations for lower income people on SOF 15% off days is that you have to spend $50... I don't have a car and usually go to the grocery store 3 or more times a week to take lighter loads. I rarely spend more than $25 at a time at the grocery store bc the purchases get too heavy. I am already planning what I will buy on Tuesday to try and make it to $50 on only things that I need and are reasonably priced and be able to carry it all.
    Great point! I was just going to post something similiar. I also walk to get all my groceries (the metro costs money so it would take way from savings unless there was a GREAT sale) and at the ones that are farthest away like a 20 minute way I have to strategize what I can buy and carry home myself.

Today for instance tomato sauce cans (the big ones) were on for 3 for $5 which is pretty good but I decided to leave it so I could get more of other stuff (cans are a major issue for me actually, it's my slowest stockpile to build due mostly to weight ).

Also as the person above me just mentioned, it takes money to save money sometimes. I do what I can and this site helps a lot because if something is free or almost free I can afford to stock up but a lot of the time even if 50 cans of soup at 25 cents or whatever on sale would mean I wouldn't run out of soup and have to buy it at full price (which I wouldn't do for soup but you get my point - yogurt, granola bars etc.) it's still $12.50 that I can't afford to use out of my weekly grocery budget.

If you've got $30 in the bank you've got $30 in the bank no matter how good it would be to stock up. That is probably a HUGE factor in why poorer people don't shop with coupons and sales as much. It's certainly interesting to think about though. I think it would be great if at least the self esteem issue was taken out because I find that the more confidence I get in using coupons the more I save even with a limited income.

Sorry if that got rantish...I tend to get longwinded, I apologize.

I'm just saying...
    Join Swagbucks already!

Check out my Etsy store! http://www.alteredcartography.etsy.com

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

BUMP for newbies

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information