Trading Score
    119 (99%)

thanks

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Thank you i had no idea about these either

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Great idea to gather all the rebate info into one place!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

is not there a mail in rebate /guarantee for covergirl eyeshadow/eyeliner .

needtosave$
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

man I worked in a Mail in rebate centre and Isaw firsthand so manypeople not get their rebates so I am very reluctant to do them..Has anyone had any problems with any?
    Sasha
    Earn SWAGBUCKS click here to sign up
    http://www.swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=1022529

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Great Idea!
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    523 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rida View Post
    is not there a mail in rebate /guarantee for covergirl eyeshadow/eyeliner .
    I don't know, I haven't heard about it. Do you have any more information about it? If it's just a money back guarantee, I wouldn't include it here since it's not quite the same as a mail in rebate. But if it is a rebate, I would appreciate any information you have about, like where you get the form or when it expires. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by whatever75 View Post
    man I worked in a Mail in rebate centre and Isaw firsthand so manypeople not get their rebates so I am very reluctant to do them..Has anyone had any problems with any?
    I've received every mail in rebate I've done (other than ones I've mailed recently, like the Air Wick one) so I'm not too concered about not receiving one. I always photocopy everything I've sent so I do have some proof I bought the product if something goes wrong. I've never had to use it, though.
    Last edited by Jeniana; Sun, Oct 18th, 2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    ~ Trade List ~ Let's Trade! ~ Wish List ~
    I'm looking for these coupons (and more )
    Purina Cat Chow/Friskies ~ El Monteray ~ Blue Buffalo cans
    Maxx Scoop ~ Fresh Express ~ Cheemo

Trading Score
    523 (100%)

How to do a Mail in Rebate

If you've never done a mail in rebate before, this is a just a little guide

Where to Find Rebates

The rebate will almost always have a form, and rebate forms can be found in many places. Some rebate forms can be printed from the internet, some can be found on store shelves, some are in magazines and some can be found in the coupon inserts that come in the newspaper or with your flyers. Occasionally a rebate will only need you to write your name and address on a blank piece of paper but these rebates are rare.

Example Form

This is the form we are going to use an example (because the fine print is actually legible!) This rebate was advertised in the Sobeys flyer and the forms were found on store shelves.

Check the Dates

Most rebates have a time frame for completion. There is usually a period of time when you can purchase items (July 29 - August 11 in our example) and the receipt must be dated on one of those days. Pay attention to the start date - sometimes rebates are included in coupon inserts that are delivered early with your flyers or newspaper. You may receive the form a few days before the rebate actually starts. Make sure to purchase the item(s) on or after the start date. The last date is still a valid date for doing the rebate so if you didn't get a chance to do the rebate before that date, it is still okay to do it on that date (August 11 in our example).

If the last date is also the day the form needs to be postmarked by, then you need to be extra careful when mailing it. Most mailboxes have certain pick up times and if your envelope is placed in the box after that time, it will not be picked up that day. That means it will not be postmarked until the next day. If you are mailing a rebate that needs to be postmarked by today, then it is best to go into a post office and mail it at the counter, and make sure the clerk stamps it with today's date.

Most rebates will usually have a postmark date that is a few weeks after the last purchase date. In our example, the last day for purchasing is August 11 but the form doesn't need to be postmarked until August 30. This gives us some time to fill out the form and get everything mailed.

Some rebates will say they need to be received by a certain date. This means you will need to mail the rebate well before that date. Canada Post states that nationwide mail takes about a week, but to be safe I would mail it at least two weeks before the receive by date if at all possible.

Participating Products, Minimum to Spend and Participating Stores

Notice the first part of the rebate - we need to purchase specific items and sizes and spend more than $20 before taxes. This is very important. If you spend $19.99 or purchase the wrong item(s) you will almost certainly be rejected, so always read the rebate form very carefully. The store should be able to give you the subtotal before taxes so you can make sure it is at least $20. Also note that this rebate is only valid at Sobey's - if you purchase the items elsewhere, you will not receive the gift cards.

Circle Items on Receipt

Part 2 on the example form is in nearly every rebate. There are very few rebates that do not require you to circle the participating items on a dated cash register receipt. It is best to use pen when circling the items. Highlighter can smudge the ink so it is not a good idea to use it - if the rebate centre can't read the receipt, they can't approve the rebate. Also note that the items must be purchased in the same transaction - this is also very common in rebates that require a purchase of a certain amount. Multiple receipts totalling $20 will not be accepted.

Some rebates will also require you to write the item's UPC on the receipt or on the form. The UPC is usually a 12 digit number on the item's packaging somewhere (but it can sometimes be shorter than 12 digits). Here is an image (image source)

Some rebates will require you to cut this off the item's packaging and include it in the envelope. I would recommend taping or gluing it to the form or on a blank piece of paper so the small UPC is not loose in the envelope.

There may instead be a special token or symbol on the package that needs to be included in the envelope. This should be clearly spelled out in the instructions.

Fill Out the Form

Part 3 on the example form should be pretty easy to follow Just make sure to fill it out completely and legibly so the rebate centre knows where to send your gift card. Here is a tip from $stretcher: If you have a stamp with your return address on it, that can be stamped right on the form. Even if it doesn't line up perfectly, it should still be more clear and legible than filling it out by hand. Thanks for sharing that great tip, $stretcher!

Address the Envelope

Part 4 on the example form explains where to mail it. The phrase "with sufficient postage" means that you need to make sure to put a stamp on the outside of the envelope you are mailing to the rebate centre - they will not cover the postage to get your form and receipt to them. They will however cover the postage to get the gift card to you, so you don't need to worry about that.

If you are getting a cheque back from the rebate and the form says the cheque will include postage, you will still need to put a stamp on the envelope you are mailing. The cost of postage will be added to the cheque they are mailing you.

If a rebate form says you need to include a "self-addressed stamped envelope" then that means you do need to cover the postage to get the rebate back to you. Inside the envelope you are mailing to them, you must include another envelope that is empty and not sealed that has your name and address on it and a stamp on it. The rebate centre will put your gift card/cheque/whatever you are getting from them inside that envelope and mail it back to you.

If you have never mailed a letter before, Canada Post has guidelines here on how to address envelopes. I borrowed this image from the bottom of that page:

Make sure you include a return address on the outside of the envelope. In the image above it is in the upper left corner. It can also be written on the back of the envelope at the top. If the envelope somehow can't make it to the rebate centre (gets damaged, incorrectly addressed, insufficient postage), if there is a return address on it, it will go back to you - hopefully in time for you to resubmit it. Some rebates require a return address on the outside of the envelope.

Double Check It!

Make sure everything is correct - your address most of all. Even one wrong or unclear digit and your neighbour could receive your rebate! Read over the entire rebate form and make sure you didn't miss any details. If you needed to spend a minimum amount, add it up again. If you had to buy certain items, make sure they are the right size and type. Is the address to the rebate centre correct? Did you remember the stamp?

Make a Copy

We are almost done, but don't seal it yet! Make sure to photocopy or scan to your computer the receipt, your form and anything else you need to include (like a UPC) if at all possible. This way you have documentation just in case the rebate gets lost in the mail or if you have any problems receiving it. It's also good to have for your records.

Mail It!

Okay, you have done everything, and checked it, and you are ready to put everything in the envelope, seal it, and drop it in the mail! Congratulations, you just did your first rebate Now you'll have to be very patient since most rebates take weeks to arrive. If you made a photocopy, it's a good idea to write the date you mailed the rebate on it so you know how long you've been waiting. If you didn't copy it you could write a note on your calendar or keep a spreadsheet.

Where's My Rebate?

If you did a rebate and the time stated on the form has passed but you haven't received it yet, don't panic - it will almost certainly show up. The forms often underestimate the time it takes to receive the rebate. Most rebates have a thread just for them on SmartCanucks. If many other SC'ers are reporting they haven't yet received their rebate either, the company could just be behind on processing. Sometimes the company runs out of gift cards and can't process the rebates until they get more. If it seems like everyone but you has received the rebate, it might be time to contact the company.

I would generally suggest waiting two weeks past the time on the form (so 12 weeks if it says 8-10) before trying to contact the company. If the rebate is only valid at one store or chain (like the Sobeys rebate in our example) I would start by contacting that store. You could call or use the "Contact Us" form on their web site to ask for information about the rebate. If the rebate is brand specific, you could call or use the Contact Us form on the brand's website. In either case, googling the store or brand name should help you find the web site or phone number you need. For a brand, there might be a phone number on the product you purchased. If the number or site you googled is not the proper place to contact, the customer service rep should hopefully forward you to the right number or web site.

Don't Be Discouraged!

It may seem like rebates are incredibly difficult and hard to actually receive, especially since I stress filling it out carefully and making a copy in case something goes wrong. But the vast majority of the time, you will receive your rebate in the time specified on the rebate (sometimes 4-6 weeks but usually 6-8 or 8-10 weeks) and have no problems at all.

I am an avid rebater and while some rebates have not been very smooth (Loblaws Double Your Coupons, I am talking about you!) the vast majority I have received within the time stated (or less - I received a Whiskas rebate less than two weeks after I mailed it!). Rebates can be a great way to try a new product at the price of a stamp or get gift cards for stores where you shop.

I hope this guide was helpful and if you have any comments, suggestions or problems, please PM me and I will be happy to update or clarify this guide, or help you with any problems.
    Last edited by Jeniana; Tue, Oct 1st, 2013 at 09:13 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Got2b products are 3.99 this week at Shoppers Drug Mart. Right now is a good time to do the free magazine with the purchase of two got2b products.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Just mailed in the pc $10 card rebate when you buy $20 oralB crest etc but I was short $.30 of the $20. Do you think I'll still get the rebate ? Any advice on this would be great

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

awesome - i did not know about most of these!!!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

The link for this one does not work:

$3 Rebate WYB Pyrex Metal Bakeware - Details and form are here. Ends November 30, 2009. (thanks couponlady!)

Can you find it and update the link?

Trading Score
    523 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynfan View Post
    The link for this one does not work:

$3 Rebate WYB Pyrex Metal Bakeware - Details and form are here. Ends November 30, 2009. (thanks couponlady!)

Can you find it and update the link?
    The link worked when I posted it, but I am guessing since it is no longer working, the offer is no longer valid, so I have removed it from the list. If you find a new link to the form, please let me know and I'll repost the offer.
    ~ Trade List ~ Let's Trade! ~ Wish List ~
    I'm looking for these coupons (and more )
    Purina Cat Chow/Friskies ~ El Monteray ~ Blue Buffalo cans
    Maxx Scoop ~ Fresh Express ~ Cheemo

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

thanks this is handy having all of these posted together!

Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread Information