User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Well, since this post involves family planing I thought it would do well in the parenting section.

After ten months of humming and hawing about weither to have another baby so close to my son in age, DH and I decided that an IUD would be the way to go and put off another child for a bit. I am terrible at remembering my birth control pill, and when I got the Depo shot I had three month long periods.

So I went today to get it done. I got Mirena, the small plastic one, not the old school copper like back in my mum's day.

First off, for all you ladies planing on getting one, take ibuprofin before your appointment! No one told me to do this and the cramping was terrible.

So the whole procedure was quick. I mean, I was in the chair from start to finish for about 7 min. That included a pap smear, biopcy, cervic stretching (not a common step aparently) and the insertion of the IUD. The rest of the time was spent taking care of a nicked capalary that bled a bit.

I was able to control the pain for the enitre procedure. Pretty easy all in all. Ya, it sucked, but it was over so quickly. The thing that was the worst was the cramping afterwards. It was so painful that I vomited ten minutes after when I was sitting in the office discussing a followup.

I had to rest for about a half an hour before they would let me leave to make sure i wouldn't faint.

So I am at home now, four hours after the procedure. I am still having nasty cramps (they said period cramps, but it is worse than that). I am using a heat pack, and the pains are shooting into my legs.

So, all in all, quick procedure, crappy recovery. For all you ladies who are curious about the IUD insertion procedure, there you go. I am sure the pain will be gone in a day or two, so I can suck it up til then.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I went to get mine yesterday. I'm getting the old school copper one though. The doc refused to do it. I was 6min late (it was 15 by the time the doc came into the room but that part hardly my fault) and I had no babysitter so she refused to do it! I was so upset I started bawling. I'm gonna have to fly a friend or something up here and try again. By then it will be summer and the others will be out of school so I am hugely screwed. I wish she would have told me these things in advance. I would have chosen a different method.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had my first mirena put in a little over 9 years ago in Europe, when it wasn't approuved in Canada yet. One thing I have to tell you is: be patient with it. The first one is a little tricky and will take a good 6 months to get used to. I had very dark spotting almost every day for the first six months or so. And the cramping kept coming back. I wasn't sure if I should get it taken out or what. I am sooooooo happy I stuck with it!!! I get mine changed every 4 years or so, (now on my third one) I have no periodes what-so-ever (woot woot) never any cramping... It's like having all the advantage of being a woman without the LOL) I just love it. never planning to go without it. If DH would get cut, I'd still keep it not to get my periodes back. 9 years no periodes and no missing them at all!!!!!!
    Nanoush

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'd been thinking of trying an alternative BC method, been on the pill for years. I don't mind taking it, but when I changed to a 21 pack instead of 28, my insurance changed me to a generic. I didn't find the generic worked as well to make my periods lighter.

So I'd to find love something that would accomplish that. I'm tempted to try Depo (that's the shot you get every three months right?), for some that results in NO periods. I'm tempted by that, although I wonder how you'd know if your BC had failed?

Anyhow, anybody else use an alternative to the pill? What about the IUD, does that make your periods more tolerable?

Z

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I
    I'm tempted by that, although I wonder how you'd know if your BC had failed?
    That's 1 of the reasons I didn't choose Mirena. The idea of not getting it every month was unnerving for me. I would constantly be worried. Plus it's substantially more expensive.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

When I was younger I got the Depo shots (4 in all). I did lose my period completely but I also gained almost 60 pounds and couldn't figure out why! I repeatedly asked my doctor why I kept gaining weight even though I hadn't changed my diet or exercise routine, after a year and a bunch of tests they realized it was the Depo! I never gained weight on the pill, so I didn't even think it was because of the Depo but eventually the Doctor figured it was how my body reacted to the drug. Would of been nice to know before gaining 60 pounds!!!

After Depo I went on the patch (evra I believe). And it was amazing. Still got my regular periods, so no break there but was much easier to remember than the pill.

Not sure I would do the IUD. I think it's a little to invasive for me, but I appreciate the info. Helps make more informed decisions.
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Thu, Jun 10th, 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

When I went on the Depo shot, I as well gained 55 lbs in a period of 3 months....I tried once more for another 3 months, and gained another 7..so after that, I just stopped and took the pill again for a while, and the weight slowly but surely melted away again...the Depo shot does make you gain weight, it is a known side effect...

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Chats about child birth and birth control even constipation on SC, sounds more and more like a big family every day : ) I had an IUD 25 years ago and my knowledge is definately dated. BTW I hope the cramping settles down quickly for you Cait.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for sharing Cait...I am also interested in an IUD -- although a close friend just got pregnant with one in a month ago (she's devastated!)...my mom also got pregnant with me when having one in! (but statistically I think the pregnancy rate is low)
    I am unsure about the IUD that don't have monthly periods (as nice as that be...isn't it necessary??)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Cait, I hope things settle down for you okay...

After doing tons of research, I just refused to get Mirena because of all the problems associated with it. For me, it was not for birth control, but because of my PCOS.

more discussion here - and links to forums with Mirena discussions
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/134927-...na-iud-canada/

Trading Score
    112 (100%)

Thanks for sharing cait, I hope you're feeling better soon and hopefully you won't experience any negative side effects! Call me old fashioned (although I'm only 32) but good old condoms work well enough for me and DH 14 years and the only times I got pregnant were when we tried
    Maybe I'm weird but BC pills and depro shots just seem kinda unnatural to me. I tried going on the pill once when I was 17 but I ended up having my period for 37 days before I just threw them out.
    That being said, my twin sister has been on various BC pills since her teens because she constantly gets ovarian cysts. She also tried the depro shot, gained 20 pounds and has only had maybe 5 periods in 4 years. She only got the shot the one time and its only supposed to last 3 months or so. Now she is worried that she may never be able to get pregnant
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

OK, won't be doing Depo. I can gain weight all by myself thank you!

The pill is convenient, and I'm good about taking it. I guess I'll stick with that for now.

Z

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Don't get the Depo I gained weight I got sever migraines. I now take Ortho Tri-cyclen and they have been working for me for the past 3 years now and I have even lost weight being on them so I'm happy.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyincowtown View Post
    Thanks for sharing cait, I hope you're feeling better soon and hopefully you won't experience any negative side effects! Call me old fashioned (although I'm only 32) but good old condoms work well enough for me and DH
    I wish I could do regular old condoms. When I was in for my IUD yesterday the doctor told me I have an auto immune deficienty called lichen scelerous. Basically all my skin down there turns into a white leather, and anything from soaps, lubricants, and even condoms make the skin tougher. I got put on high potency topical steriods yesterday to reverse the damage. Doc says we caught it in time (it flared up after I had my son), cuz it can get so bad you have to get genital reconstruction. It's passed from mum to daughter she told me. Gentetics I guess.

And the cramping is better today. Thanks for all the SC love everyone!
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

Glad to hear you are doing better

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information