User Tag List

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Everything GLUTEN FREE foods thread!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Found this, thought some might be interested

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...0-seconds.html
    That's cool! I'll have to try it out if I can find one of those containers that's microwave-safe. Or maybe I already have one that's close in shape Thanks for posting, Nat.

Silk
    Natalka and Davetherave like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Found this, thought some might be interested

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...0-seconds.html
    well.....I could NOT wait! I JUST made this using a ceramic square dish to bake it in and went about 25 seconds longer. Then I cooled the item, sliced it into 2 pieces and toasted it in the Toaster oven just slightly to get crispy edges. Gotta say I am hooked on the simplicity, the amount of time, hydro used etc. ( minutes instead of 2 hours or more! ) and the flavour is delicious!
    Thank you @Natalka for posting this option. This way whenever I DO feel like having a sammy it is not a tedious ordeal. This turned out lovely and moist as well, unlike many gf bread recipes and many store bought loaves.
    Natalka, Silk and Davetherave like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

You're welcome - when I go through recipe sites, often for baking or meatless ideas, often there are gluten-free recipes, which I don't use, but sometimes I come across one I think looks interesting for others.
    Silk, walkonby and Davetherave like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

^ Thanks for posting your review Walks! And you beat me to it because I also tried out the recipe. But I did it in the microwave as per the original directions. I used a small square plastic container - I don’t like cooking with plastic in the microwave but I thought I would try it this one time and if I liked it then look for a small ceramic dish.

Anyway, it came out rubbery so I toasted it in a pan on the stove top. And I agree with you - it’s quite tasty toasted! But heads up - after I put a couple of slices in the fridge (I made 4 thin slices from the recipe), and ate it without re-toasting, it was not so nice.

I was thinking I would try baking it next time like you did - so good to know that it worked out like that. Or I might even try just cooking it in a pan on the stovetop. I have a grill cheese pan - (purchased years ago for when I make a particular Japanese dish) so I might even try that.

And another big thanks from me for the recipe, Natalka!

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Thu, Feb 18th, 2016 at 04:45 AM.
    walkonby, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

bump
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Ooh...I just made GF lasagne for Sunday with Catellis newer noodles. I have used them once before. I am starting to get the hang of it. This will be the first freeze and reheat though!
    Silk, dededi and Davetherave like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I think the lasagne turned out better this time. I use more ricotta and it was less sloppy after being frozen.

Does anyone have a good wrap or tortilla that doesn't crumble. I use this brand, but it cracks. Or a tried and successful recipe?

Name:  Gluten-Free-Orange-package-1130-x-500-1130x500.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  65.9 KB

Our favourite sliced bread right now is Glutino. I am wondering if they have a frozen tortilla.
    -Hermione Granger

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Granger, I've been using this recipe:

http://www.paleonewbie.com/paleo-glu...tillas-recipe/

I don't use coconut milk but use non-dairy milk - almond or soy (not unsweetened, though). I think it's pretty good and it actually does puff up like a real tortilla. It is time consuming though even with using 2 pans at a time I usually do 1.5x the recipe and get about 12 tortillas - but I do make them thin. They freeze well. Just fyi, they are neutral in taste which works for me because i just want something to use as a bread sub. Maybe w/ coconut milk they will have more flavor. If you try it, let me know how you like them

Are those GF packaged ones tasty? A tip I heard for packaged tortillas to keep them from cracking is to heat them slightly before you use them - can do that in a microwave.

Last weekend I tried a new recipe for low-carb tortillas. They're a bit on the eggy side but not bad. I am trying to watch my carb intake so will use this recipe for awhile. If you want that recipe let me know and I'll dig out the url

I also had a recipe that used cornmeal that was pretty good but since I'm sensitive to corn, I don't use it anymore. Not sure if I have the url for that anymore...

The recipe above and the new low carb one haven't cracked on me, but the LC one is on the delicate side.

Don't know about Glutino - they use corn (meal/flour?) so I stay away from them. Heard good things about Udi's bread though, but couldn't find the whole grain one at a decent price.

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Thu, Mar 31st, 2016 at 11:59 PM.
    Davetherave and 1_love like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Granger, I've been using this recipe:

http://www.paleonewbie.com/paleo-glu...tillas-recipe/

I don't use coconut milk but use non-dairy milk - almond or soy (not unsweetened, though). I think it's pretty good and it actually does puff up like a real tortilla. It is time consuming though even with using 2 pans at a time I usually do 1.5x the recipe and get about 12 tortillas - but I do make them thin. They freeze well. Just fyi, they are neutral in taste which works for me because i just want something to use as a bread sub. Maybe w/ coconut milk they will have more flavor. If you try it, let me know how you like them

Are those GF packaged ones tasty? A tip I heard for packaged tortillas to keep them from cracking is to heat them slightly before you use them - can do that in a microwave.

Last weekend I tried a new recipe for low-carb tortillas. They're a bit on the eggy side but not bad. I am trying to watch my carb intake so will use this recipe for awhile. If you want that recipe let me know and I'll dig out the url

I also had a recipe that used cornmeal that was pretty good but since I'm sensitive to corn, I don't use it anymore. Not sure if I have the url for that anymore...

The recipe above and the new low carb one haven't cracked on me, but the LC one is on the delicate side.

Don't know about Glutino - they use corn (meal/flour?) so I stay away from them. Heard good things about Udi's bread though, but couldn't find the whole grain one at a decent price.

Silk
    Thanks. Just the one link is fine. It will take me a while to try it, but I hope to and will let you know how it goes. Most of the baking I do uses all purpose GF flour so I am not running around with my three children. No corn and GF makes things trickier as a lot of companies substitute corn (especially in tortillas) even if it is just a little bit.

I will also try heating up the tortillas.
    Last edited by Granger; Fri, Apr 1st, 2016 at 10:56 AM.
    Silk and Davetherave like this.
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well some great recipes here, my problem is my Doctor has put me on a Carb & Gluten Free Diet.... Was easy at the beginning, but now getting tired of some of the recipes.... always looking, and looks like a got the Gluten down pat with this thread.... Now to find a Carb Free Thread... Thanks Ladies..
    1_love likes this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Charger View Post
    Well some great recipes here, my problem is my Doctor has put me on a Carb & Gluten Free Diet.... Was easy at the beginning, but now getting tired of some of the recipes.... always looking, and looks like a got the Gluten down pat with this thread.... Now to find a Carb Free Thread... Thanks Ladies..
    The challenge of GF is making the carbs without the gluten! If you have to cut the carbs it does simplify everything but variety. I would like a few more bean-based meals in my repertoire. Have to do those tortillas first though!!!
    Silk likes this.
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Perogies!

A Ukrainian friend of mine shared this

http://www.officiallyglutenfree.com/...free-perogies/
    Silk likes this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Perogies!

A Ukrainian friend of mine shared this

http://www.officiallyglutenfree.com/...free-perogies/
    I have made GF perogies a few times. My recipe is no longing linking...perhaps I will try this one!!!
    -Hermione Granger

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Charger View Post
    My guess is your doctor actually means low carb. No carb is vitually impossible since even veggies - most of them - have some carbs

There are low carb forums and blogs out there with lots of recipes including for GF. Some of them are LC high fat, or LC high protein - that's another discussion Try a Google search if you haven't already.

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Sun, May 15th, 2016 at 03:43 AM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I tried the Udi's Gluten Free whole grain bread for the first time today, it was pretty good. I toasted it and it was still soft and fluffy like normal bread. I was surprised how small the bread slices are though. Is this common with all pre-packaged gluten free bread? I see a lot of tips for making your own bread in this thread, but does anyone have any suggestions for other frozen bread I can purchase that they like? Would like to give some other kinds a shot without wasting too much $$!

I'd also appreciate some suggestions for wraps, I tried Udi's gluten free wraps and that did not work out, even when heating them up first they still crack when you try to roll them up with fillings inside.
    Silk likes this.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread Information