User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: how often do you buy your child toys

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Christmas and birthdays, and on the odd special day out (like if we go to a festival or something). With my kids, I found that the more that they got when they were younger, the more they wanted and the worse their behaviour was (gimme gimme gimme, I want it NOW, ETC)....so I put a stop to that and now they only get what they need.
    They appreciate what they have now, and I am not giving away toys that were bought for them that they never played with.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

When my son turned 5 I told him i would not buy him toy's anymore. Instead he get's $5 a week for his allowance. (only if he's good) and if he wants something he has to save for it. So other than christmas and birthdays I don't buy him anything.
    vibrantflame likes this.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Hmmm not too often....they have a grandmother who goes to a lot of thrift stores and yard sales and when she sees stuff that's a good price, she buys it for them. To be honest, they have *a lot* of toys that she has given them, so I haven't seen the need to buy much for them. And what I do buy is usually used or on sale because I can't stomach paying full price for most toys so I don't really keep track of it. For us, we don't celebrate birthdays or holidays, so mostly if we see something we know the kids would enjoy and we're okay with them having it and we can afford it then we'll get it for them. But it probably works out to 5 or 6 times a year for regular toys, and 1 or 2 times for "big ticket" items like a swing set or something. I buy them a lot of activity books and craft activities from Dollarama too...

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    2 times a year we go to the big children's thirft sale and get DD a bunch of clothes and toys, everything is dirt cheap because it's used and the people dont want to have to come pick up what didn't sell.

Other than that she gets toys on holidays (small toy for valentines, spring toy for easter, obviously Christmas) and then on her birthday.

Every once and awhile if we see something while shopping we'll buy it, but nothing huge.

Although our living room looks like a daycare and we only have one DD, it's amazing how fast toys pile up, especially after going to the thrift sales (everything is so cheap, it's hard to not buy it. lol)
    So does mine! Ha ha! I only have one too.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

we just started doing this. my 5 year old is really starting to get into lego and that stuff is expensive. he is also getting kind of mouthy so we told him if he wants more lego he is going to have to buy it himself and if he wants to get his allowance and be able to save up for it then he better behave!

Quote Originally Posted by jayne_a View Post
    When my son turned 5 I told him i would not buy him toy's anymore. Instead he get's $5 a week for his allowance. (only if he's good) and if he wants something he has to save for it. So other than christmas and birthdays I don't buy him anything.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Usually I stick to holidays/special occassions as well for the most part. Every once and awhile I will buy a toy for something new to play with(ie/summer water toys, etc)or as a "treat".
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

my son (just turned 2 this month) is into playing in the sand, colouring, painting and playdoh and puzzles. Therefore since i have another one on the way in 6 weeks, i took half his bday presents (he got over spoiled by family) distributed some between both grandparents places then put some in a container out of reach at home. Hope to bring them out over the time from now until xmas to give him that bit of extra when the baby comes but not overkill. There are only so many puzzles and bubbles one kid can have open at at time.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never buy my daughter toys since she gets so darn many for christmas and her birthday . If i wanna reward her we go out and buy a dress, or some pretty shoes or some hair stuff instead. Since she goes through those things alot quicker than her toys.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information