User Tag List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone have any tourist, meal or event ideas I can attend in Vancouver? My boyfriend and I are going from June 30-July 4th. I am sure I can find celebrations for Canada Day but what other cheap touristy things are in Vancouver?

Thanks,
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

You can walk around Stanley Park, it is a beautiful place to walk, especially around the wall. Another place is you could check is the Science centre. The Vancouver Aquarium is also great. And that is right in Stanley Park, so you could do two things there. If i can think of anything else i will let you know. I lived in B.C. on the coast for most of my live before we moved here to Ontario. HAve a great time

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey there,

Thanks so much for the tip, I appreciate it.

I was also thinking of going to Granville Island, Capilano Bridge (which is SO expensive but there is $1 off coupon, better than nothing ;P), Chinatown and Gastown. Are there any things locals do I should check out?

Do you know of any cheap places to go to or things that are free?

Thanks so much for your time,

Trading Score
    177 (100%)

Not much is cheap in Vancouver! Stanley Park is a great idea - really fun to rollerblade along the sea wall...walking's good too though! There are some small beaches in Stanely park as well. Just brainstorming now...but you could visit Robson Street, Gas Town, China Town.

I would really suggest that if you are going to visit the Aquarium or Capilano Bridge that you post asking for Entertainment Book coupons or even order one for yourself. They usually have coupons for the Space Center, Aquarium, other museums, lots of restaurants!

http://www.entertainment-savings-offers.com/vancouver/book/

Hope you enjoy your visit!
    "Far over the misty mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old,
    We must away ere break of day, to seek the pale enchanted gold."

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Go see the fireworks! There is always a fireworks display for competing countries around Canada Day in English Bay. It's free but really busy so get there early!
    Also right before Capilano Bridge there's another suspension bridge that's just as good but free. I can't remember what it's called but definately worth going to

coupon convert
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrinaMary View Post
    Go see the fireworks! There is always a fireworks display for competing countries around Canada Day in English Bay. It's free but really busy so get there early!
    Agreed. Too bad you're not going at the right time (it runs late July).

Quote Originally Posted by AndrinaMary View Post
    Also right before Capilano Bridge there's another suspension bridge that's just as good but free. I can't remember what it's called but definately worth going to
    The free suspension bridge is in Lynn Canyon I think.

If you're going to be out and about using public transportation (buses, skytrain, seabus) for a whole day, consider a daypass. Another option are the faresaver tickets, they come in a booklet of 10 for $19 for one zone. The regular fare is $2.50 for one zone, good for 90 minutes. If you go with the tickets you won't have to worry about change (exact fare needed for buses).

Granville Island you could also combine with exploring 4th Avenue (lots of cool independent stores) for shopping/window shopping and the beach (Kitsilano beach is nearby).

Chinatown – The Sun Yat-Sen Garden might interest you. The night market might be running by then. There’s also a much larger night market in Richmond.

Actually, you might be interested in Richmond in general – you could check out the new Olympic Speed Skating Oval (I’m not sure if this is easy to get to using transit). They're offering public tours of the facility.

Quote Originally Posted by wongsays View Post
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for the tip, I appreciate it.

I was also thinking of going to Granville Island, Capilano Bridge (which is SO expensive but there is $1 off coupon, better than nothing ;P), Chinatown and Gastown. Are there any things locals do I should check out?

Do you know of any cheap places to go to or things that are free?

Thanks so much for your time,

coupon convert
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Oh, and if anything at the art gallery interests you, Tuesday night admission is by donation 5.30-9pm (regular adult admission is $20.50).

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

well the Vancouver Museum is about 11$ per person they have a veocyclist exhibit on. http://www.museumofvancouver.ca/

There is Playland but its not as cheap $29.95 but I am sure it can be purchased cheaper at 7-11, Safeway, save-on foods or shoppers drug mart.

There is the Space Center which says it costs about $15 per adult http://www.hrmacmillanspacecentre.com/admission.htm

Here is a great site I found with all the Top 5s of things to do in Vancouver... http://www.vancouver.com/things_to_do/top_fives/

I used to have a membership to HI-Canada...Hostelling International Canada...you buy a membership with them before you go and get discounts on everything. Its a great little card and is handy on most things like getting discounts on admissions or even when buying greyhound tickets discounts or even via rail. They have mountains of savings at least it was what I found and plus you don't have to stay at the hostel but some of them have nice one bedroom type ideas if you need some place to stay.
    This is the link to the site http://www.hihostels.ca/PM/236/hi-va...scounts.hostel

Hope these help!

Canadian Banana
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Its better if you go to Lynn Canyon than Capilano suspension. I found out that they are just the same only Cap is overrated and sooo expensive. If you're in North Vancouver have a hike up @ the Grouse grind and take a peek at Grinder & Coola , their bears, up close! If beaches is your thing, try Jericho beach or Kitsilano beach.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I found this list of free places, which you can visit in Vancouver:

Lynn Canyon Park

The Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge towers twenty stories (160 feet) above Lynn Creek. Visitors can walk on a swaying bridge made of wooden slats to cross over and return. Or if hikers are more adventurous, they can continue on to enjoy the several hiking trails through the lush, second-growth rainforest.

Capilano Salmon Hatchery

This government-owned fish farm is designed to help stem the depletion of salmon stocks. The education centre allows you to learn about the life cycle of the salmon, view the fish in various stages of growth, and follow the process from the hatchery to the river and reintegration into the wild. October is the best time to see the salmon leap the fish ladders.

Canada Place

Five large sails give it the appearance of a ship. It is a cruise ship terminal, and also a multi-use commercial facility. The Promenade into History is a self-guided walking tour, which displays the many stories and legends of Canada.

Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Garden and Chinatown

Situated in Vancouver's Chinatown, just minutes from Downtown, the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Garden is an oasis of serenity in the heart of the city.

Stanley Park

The green jewel of Vancouver, Stanley Park is a 400-hectare (1,000-acre) rainforest jutting out into the ocean from the edge of the busy West End. Exploring the second-largest urban forest in Canada is one of Vancouver's quintessential experiences.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Airmile rewards are available for free admission to the science centre and the aquarium,something else too ,can not remember.Also we took a $2.oo ROUND TRIP by seabus across to the market FROM CANADA PLACE and gas town. ,very cool.It was about a 15 min ride across .Also take the $2.00 shuttle all around stanley park all day.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hey all have added good information on the topic.......
    i lwould like to travel the place.....

thanks.......

Thread Information