User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I think it would be better to work at the dump- because you dont have time to look through the stuff - if you take to long you get fired I dont think it's worth it

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I agree with everyone on here. While I don't have people go through my recycle bin I do have many of my "give aways" taken from the sidewalk. I leave CD's and some furniture that are in good condition but I just don't want anymore and I don't mind at all that people take them. BUT if a stranger goes to the side of the house or porch looking into the blue bins, it's kinda scary.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bastet13 View Post
    "degrading"? absolutely.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about the people who are walking down the back alley, see something sitting in the recycle bin or something nice sitting beside the garbage bags and go ahead and take it. That's not what I'm talking about. I "believe" their time would be better spent contributing to society and making money to buy the things they need.

We deliver flyers to try to get some extra money to help us get by. I was taught anything you want in life you have to work for. Of course I'm constantly on the search for deals and ways to save money and am not too proud to use a coupon (my wallet is FULL of them) and I do check this site often looking for freebies!

I agree a bit........
    Last edited by vienna4u; Thu, Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
    I have bought an android tablet, its cover+stand, textbooks from amazon using search and wins
    Join swagbucks

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

interesting comments here - not too sure why some people felt the need to make condescending comments to others.

There is a huge difference between the two scenarios of A) a person ripping through other's garbage bags in search of ?, and B) a person who takes a discrete peek into a recycling blue bin as they pass by.

a person who retrieves coupon inserts, stouffer PIN's, free T-shirt & gas card promos
    from a blue box is simply doing an interesting alchemy of turning pieces of discarded paper into real tangible items that have real value.

12 Stouffer PINs = $10 card & $15 food FPC's.
    P & G inserts = free deodorant, bodywash, shaving gel (+ more if you live close to LD)
    boxes with promo codes = free T-Shirts, gas cards, & magazine subscriptions.

all of these are helpful to a person's overall budget, whether they use the items themselves or use them as gifts for others. If they donate them to help the less fortunate, even better.

to be honest I would think you were foolish if you knew there were these deals available (temporarily masquerading as throw-away pieces of paper & cardboard),
    and didn't avail your self to benefit your family or others.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

In my opinion, I see nothing wrong with people being resourceful with my recycling or anyone else's for that matter. If they know of something worthwhile that I didn't, all the better for them. We do have someone who regularly cruises our street and goes through each recycle bin with a fine tooth comb. She recycles the bottles/boxes etc that we all forget to recycle (proabably comes up a bit short in my box). She seems to work pretty hard doing it and not sure how big her rewards are but I hope she gets some.

My only real concern is identity theft, and when I see folks actively going through recycling it reminds me to shred any personal information, copies of bills etc. That stuff is worth a lot more than a few stouffers pins and since I don't know what folks are doing with my recycling, I am extra cautious on that front.

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I don't mind if someone wants to take my recycling. There's nothing good in there anyways, I've already entered all of my pins. LOL. When I put it out to the curb, I don't want it. But I do not like it when strangers come to my house, open my gate, walk through my yard, and go through my recycling there. I don't think that's okay. I am not concerned about what they might find, but I do not like having strangers on my property late at night. I think there is a definite line.
    Open a Tangerine bank account (formerly ING ) using my Orange Key (14507658S1), deposit $100 and we both get $25! Right now, receive up to $150 in bonuses and earn 2.50% interest!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Not if you were our recycling guy because here they just drive by in their recycling bin and it auto dumps the 200l bins into the truck. They dont even see whats inside.... every town will eventually be going to this system.

I personally think digging through strangers recycling bins can be really dangerous. There can be sharps (diabetic needles) drugs, broken glass and so many things hidden inside that you just can't see. Its not being paranoid either. Some people live like pigs and they dont care what they throw in their bins. I've seen drunks stick their heads in recycling bins and get sick everywhere inside of them. Its just not worth the risk for a few pins or freebies. Plus garbage picking isnt just being frugal, its honestly risking your health.
    Last edited by Sally888; Fri, Nov 19th, 2010 at 01:04 AM.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbs View Post
    There is a huge difference between the two scenarios of A) a person ripping through other's garbage bags in search of ?, and B) a person who takes a discrete peek into a recycling blue bin as they pass by.

a person who retrieves coupon inserts, stouffer PIN's, free T-shirt & gas card promos
    from a blue box is simply doing an interesting alchemy of turning pieces of discarded paper into real tangible items that have real value.

12 Stouffer PINs = $10 card & $15 food FPC's.
    P & G inserts = free deodorant, bodywash, shaving gel (+ more if you live close to LD)
    boxes with promo codes = free T-Shirts, gas cards, & magazine subscriptions.
    I agree, there is a huge difference between someone who rips open trashbags & leaves trash all over the sidewalk, drive way, or the front yard, and someone who takes a quick peek in the blue bins on the sidewalk for CT scratch cards, coke pins, etc...

I do agree also that it is troubling if people come to your house (either to the front porch or beside the house) to take recyclables. If the blue bins are on the curb, I agree they are fair game, but if someone is collecting their recyclable bottles, its a nuisance and potentially dangerous having uninvited people come up to your house.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Agreed.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I work at a waste facility and in my municipality an employee can be fired if they're caught taking anything from either the garbage or the recycling bins. For some reason taking something out of the garbage that they are going to destroy, compact and bury in a landfill forever is theft. Over the years we have appealed to management many times to come up with a system that lets charity benefit from the massive volume of valuable items that are thrown away every day, but nope, they won't hear of it. The politicians and managers just can't cope with ideas that they cannot personally benefit from.

Just recently we had a situation where ignorant family members disposed of a man's military medals. What would you do? Leave them to be buried and lost forever, or save them? And if we save them, we risk losing our jobs....

I think we should be allowed to rescue items like this and somehow donate them for worthy use. I don't even want to think about what those medals were worth - historically and financially. Such a loss to our county!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I would have saved them.

(and if management had threatened my job,....or taken the step to fire me.......I would have gone to the media,.....and let the firestorm begin.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information