User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

So, with the SDM price of $180 this weekend, I am debating if I should get one or not?

My primary purpose of wanting one is for physical activity. I need to lose some weight! And with having 2 kids at home all day, I need something that can give me a break from my kids and has the benefit of losing weight at the same time.

I have a stationary bike and an exercise dvd that I used for several times, but, the interest and motivation to keep me using it isn't there.

My question now is, Will the Nintendo Wii keep my interest enough to use it for exercise? Is the Wii Fit worth the money? Are there games designed to help you move more?

I am the only one who will use the Wii if I end up getting one, and I am not sure if it is really worth it.

Any thoughts and suggestions are going to be appreciated.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I think well see them go cheaper for boxing day. I have one to lose weight too but I rarely use it. To be honest it doesn't give you any motivation unfortunately. BUT on a plus side the games are fun and quite the workout. I do love the wii but I dont go on much.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

DH wants a Wii, but we already have an xbox 360 and I think it's fine. Personally, and this is just my opinion, I don't think the Wii Fit is deisgned to make you lose weight. I think it's designed to keep you moving, but it's primary purpose is not in weight-loss. I have a few friends who think that using it will help them, but it hasn't been working. I would keep using the bike if I were you (we have one here too and I use it at least every other day when DS is in bed)...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I have a Wii, Wii Fit, and the EA Active. Like Nadiabreckon said it's not going to help you lose that much weight. It's great to supplement your daily workout routine, but I would use it as my only form of exercise. I use the Active game the most. It will get you sweating that's for sure. The Wii fit will be good if you want to get the kids involved because it's cute and fun, but to be honest you're not going to get a calorie busting workout from it.

If you get on the stationary bike for 30 minutes and listen to music / read / watch TV then it will make the time go faster and you'll probably be more likely to use it. I will PVR a lot of TV shows just to watch when I get on my indoor trainer. There are also some great cycling DVD's you can get such as Spinervals (heck of a workout!)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I dont agree, some of the activities are quite the workout and if you combine it with a healthy diet I can see success easily.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

You can work up a sweat doing some of the games. I find the Dance Dance Revolution and Just Dance ones are good because they keep you moving around and have the different levels to suit your fitness level. They are fun but like any game can get boring since there are only so many song/dances to do.
    One by one, the penguins slowly steal my sanity

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

We also have a wii and I love it. Now not all the games as high active games (I love tetris - lol) but there are quite a number of intense active games you can play. Personally I hate working out but when I am playing a game it doesn't seem so bad. I know we play the boxing game quite a bit and it really makes you sweat!

That being said, if you dont mind jumping on the stationary bike and working out that way then you might burn more calories that way (not sure) but if you want to alternate between the bike and the wii, I'm sure you'd use more/different muscles for a more rounded work out.

HTH

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I keep thinking I want one too. I was thinking of the yoga thing I saw on one of the commercials & it would be cool to have a yoga "instructor" here at home living in the wii box.

I think the idea of riding your bike & doing another activity to occupy your brain is a good one. Having the wii would add to that by getting you moving in different ways.

My daughter said she will bring hers over for me to see if indeed I can use it. I have a seizure disorder and when she was little I bought her a Nintendo (the old one with the duck shooting game) anyway, I couldn't be in the room if it was on...it was an instant seizure. I'm sure things have come a long way since then, but you never know. That would be something I would look for probably after the holidays though to see if it went down.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

If you like the dancing games, youll build up a sweat. I saw dance games for kids just recently, maybe do it along with them. I like almost all the sport ones so far, its just hard to get motivated to turn the wii on. I had my parents try a few games when they were here (75yrs+) and they were pooped, but they liked it.
    There is also a fitness tracker which keeps track of your progress.
    But unlike stationary bikes, when you get bored of it, you can just get a new fun game. (with your pts of course) LOL

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I think wii is more for kids and you'd be better off getting an xbox with kinnect and the biggest loser game. I heard this is the most effective and fun way in all the gaming systems to lose weight. Plus its hands free, motion sensor. You do full range motion activities without having to hold a controller.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

LOVE my Wii it's awesome!! Go for it.... btw if you wait till boxing day you may never see one. Usually they are sold out around Christmas .

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

we got a broken PS2, Wii and brand new is an Xbox...

DDR is the most active game I go out of all the games I ever own I am sure. Using the whole body to jump and down to the different spaces. But with the old technology becoming new again the new games with xbox 360 are you to use your whole body more then a stationary controller thats wireless. The Wii the games are slow to be released but I am sure well worth it...I just completed Call of Duty:Black Ops game. But Ramans Raving Rabbids oh my when I first played that game I realized how out of shape I was there is lots of arm movements and body movements to play it and funny antics for the Wii.
    Last edited by greentires4me; Thu, Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Do the hula hoop one for a while. Youll fall over in exhaustion.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a wii and I love it. Buy the Just Dance game 1 and 2, and you'll really sweat.
    Join Swagbucks for free amazon gift cards! $500 earned so far!!

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I'm debating getting one too. Are we able to use points to get this deal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information