Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By saavygal1234
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 2 Post By thriftygranny
  • 1 Post By i_forget

Thread: Child with a fever

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

My 5 year old has been having a fever but it only seems to be at night.

This all started Sunday night, she was burning up and said that her head hurt so we laid down watched a movie and she fell asleep. She had a fever of 103.9.

She says she feels fine and not sick most of the time. I kept her home on Tuesday and she still claimed she felt fine well other then the cold she has had and can never seem to shake once she gets it. She does have a hard time admitting when she is sick though so I don't know what to think,lol. Sent her back Wednesday because her temperature was now at 98.5.

Now lastnight (Wednesday) she was just burning up again and getting the chills/sweats again even when she was burning up and woke up in the middle of the night with a headache i am guessing because she said her head hurt. But about 5 minutes after said it was getting better. After took her temperature a few times. The first time it was 103.9 then 102.5 then 101.1 seemed to stay steady for awhile.

Woke up Thursday morning and it was 98.5 again. So I didn't know what to do, just decided to send her to school instead of sending her to school in weird patterns.

Now I am just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and wondering if i should be worried and bring her to the doctor? I usually don't bring myself or her to the doctor over just the flu but I am debating it because this is just weird.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by kris10; Thu, Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry your Daughter is not feeling well.
    Personally, I think this warrants a visit to her Dr.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

As a student nurse, what I find most concerning is her headache and how high her fever skyrockets. 103.9 is grounds for hospital right away as you're 1 degree away from seizures.
    What is probably happening is :
    fever comes to eliminate a virus or bacteria so usually it's not recommended to give medication to make the fever go away to let it do it's job. Fever reaches a plateau at one point, the child will chill, sweat, chill sweat and break the fever. That said, you CANNOT do that at 103.9. So hense yougave her medicine and the fever couldn't completely do it's job in eliminated the sickness hense why it comes back a day later. Fever comes , starts it's job, medicine, goes away and sickness comes back.
    Headache and a fever could indicate either issues with her pressure, meningitis or all sorts of diseases. What I would suggest is next time fever strikes, and by fever I mean 102-103 because 100 is not fever and 101 is barely.. give her nothing and take her to the ER. They will see her real symptoms. If you give her something then take her her symptoms are masked.
    They will take her temperature, pressure, heart rate, saturation and do the exam while your child is symptomatic then give her tylenol or motrin or whatever they choose to give.
    Hope this makes sense Good luck !!

One last thing, when in fever hydrate hydrate hydrate and keep uncovered even if she's cold. (I know.. brutal) .. keep comfortable and avoid the meds. Unless fever is 103.5 +

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

Actually truthfully,I haven't given her any asprin and that is the weird part. I have tried to make her but it but it is like pulling teeth to get her to take her medicine(very stubborn) ... i did try but usually it is too late and it takes her so long to convince her that i just give up and let her sleep...figuring rest is the next best thing,lol.

So I just ended up not giving her anything but I did get her some water last night and on Sunday,no asprin,ibuprofen,acetaminophen, then either.

I guess we'll see what happens tonight and might mean a dr. visit tomorrow ( I would go to ER but there is now only 1 in the region and from what I hear the wait times are just as bad).

Thank you for all the help =)
    Last edited by kris10; Thu, Oct 17th, 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

So sorry she's ill - but I'm glad you didn't give her aspirin - that's a big NO. Never give aspirin to a child, only acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

You really need to get her in to see a doctor asap - any walk-in clinics nearby?

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/fever.html#

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

This sounds like what my DD had last year. Up and down for a solid week. We never could figure it out but I did call the pediatrician and she just said keep pumping in the tylenol if I could.

I also gave her cool baths, on the days when her fever was down (100 or lower) she went to school because she was totally normal. The days when the fever was higher (101-103+) she stayed home but was ok. Not lethargic or anything.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kris10 View Post
    Actually truthfully,I haven't given her any asprin and that is the weird part. I have tried to make her but it but it is like pulling teeth to get her to take her medicine(very stubborn) ... i did try but usually it is too late and it takes her so long to convince her that i just give up and let her sleep...figuring rest is the next best thing,lol.

So I just ended up not giving her anything but I did get her some water last night and on Sunday,no asprin,ibuprofen,acetaminophen, then either.

I guess we'll see what happens tonight and might mean a dr. visit tomorrow ( I would go to ER but there is now only 1 in the region and from what I hear the wait times are just as bad).

Thank you for all the help =)
    OMG OMG never ever aspirin to a child with fever!!!! It's a death cocktail !

I'd have to look in my books the reason again but I know you can kill a child by giving him aspirin when he has a fever .

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kris10 View Post
    Now I am just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and wondering if i should be worried and bring her to the doctor? I usually don't bring myself or her to the doctor over just the flu but I am debating it because this is just weird.
    I agree the other comments. No for internet health advise especially since it's been a week! Yes for doctor or walk in clinic or even a visit to a pharmacist. Hope she is better soon.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

So i checked at work (hospital) , and the reason for no aspirin for children in any case is that it's side effect can be a very serious and deadly disease .. Now just have to find the name ..

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

It is called Reyes syndrome
    Reye's (Ryes) syndrome is a rare but serious condition that causes swelling in the liver and brain. Reye's syndrome most often affects children and teenagers recovering from a viral infection and who may also have a metabolic disorder. Signs and symptoms such as confusion, seizures and loss of consciousness require emergency treatment. Early diagnosis and treatment of Reye's syndrome can save a child's life.
    Aspirin has been linked with Reye's syndrome, so use caution when giving aspirin to children or teenagers. Though aspirin is approved for use in children older than age 2, children and teenagers recovering from chickenpox or flu-like symptoms should never take aspirin. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
    tasha313 and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

Oh, I never gave her asprin or thought about it... i was just using the word asprin in general of all those drugs you can give them figure of speech... i would have read the labels first before giving anything,lol.

The very night I posted it she stopped burning up at night, go figure!! So I never bothered with the doctor ( I'd be dragging her kicking and screaming and we were just there 2 weeks ago) But she did come home again with a bad cough that day (think it is getting better now). Who knew kids at school could spread so many germs....and this is a BRAND NEW (just finished building it ) School mind you!

Late September she also came down with what was diagnosed by the doctor as hives. Previously weeks before she had a bad cold. 3-4 X in the course of 2 months in a new school is crazy! She used to hardly ever get sick other then a cold here and there. Might be considering the flu shot and/or a good thermometer this year!
    Last edited by kris10; Tue, Oct 22nd, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you ever need to give her acetaminophen, there are suppositories that you can give instead of the pill or the liquid. Shopper's has them right with the liquid and pill pain relief for children.
    My guys hated the taste of Children's Tylenol and Children's Advil, so that is what they got when they refused to take the liquid.
    thriftygranny likes this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Thread Information