User Tag List

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

so this morning i was dressing my 3.5 month old and was putting her socks on and thought hmm, that 1 toe looks kinda funny. i started looking at it and it looked like a little piece of toe fluff/lint was on her toe. as i started to look closer it looked like the skin was splitting around the top part of the knuckle on her 2nd digit. weird i thought. called my family dr. he's on holidays so i called the after hours clinic and i couldnt get her in until later on tonight. i took the appt and thought id just keep an eye on it during the a.m. as time went on the toe started to look swollen and really angry looking. know that weird feeling in your stomach when you just *know* somethings not right? i googled it on google images all kinds of things like toe infection, etc etc. came across an image that looked exactly like my daughters and they called it toe tourniquet syndrome. took her to the hospital - turns out thats exactly what it was. its a small piece of hair that for some straaaaaaaaange reason wraps itself around the babys toe and turns into a tourniquet!!! it usually goes unnoticed by the parents because the babe's in a onesie and overnight 12-15 hour passes and by then the blood is cut off to the toe. if not caught in time can lead to amputation! the dr said that it can even happen to a baby boys penis! the dr said its a flukey thing and she hadn't seen it in a long time. *sigh* had to share this story cause its just so weird. my claire is doing just fine, as soon as the dr cut it off colour started to come back and looked 100 percent better. just looks like a really nasty incision all the way around.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Oh my, I would have known there was actually a name for this! I'm glad your LO is doing better! Kinda scary about the fact it can happen to little boys...No wonder I always make sure there are none of my long stray hairs in his diaper like I sometimes find!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

That is crazy!!! You learn something new everyday. Glad she is fine

Karen
    Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Definitely happens, and it's not all that rare. I was warned about it when I had a baby as I had pretty long hair. And for the peepee... it can happen to adult men as well... :/
    Always looking for reasonably healthy food coupons, non-dairy products, and friendly cleaners (esp Method brand).

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by khipson View Post
    Definitely happens, and it's not all that rare. I was warned about it when I had a baby as I had pretty long hair. And for the peepee... it can happen to adult men as well... :/

crazy, id never ever heard of any of this - wish someone would have told me since ive got long hair also. as for the penis, my hubby almost fainted when the dr was telling us about that.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wow, I've never heard of this - SO glad you saw it and got it looked after!

(yikes on the google images....)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

The same kimd of thing can also happen from a loose thread inside baby's sleeper or sock..my mom obsessively checks those items before pjtting them on my kids! . Glad you caught it in time, and hopefully it heals quickly!

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

wow, scary..sooo glad you noticed it and all is ok now
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Coupon addict
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

This happened to my hubby when he was little, they caught it in time but he still has the indent around his toe, so I always checked my children's toes when I changed them, even still do on my 2 year olds sometimes.
    As for it happening on boys, when my nephew was 7 the lining in his swimming shorts did it. They took him to the dr to get them cut off for fear they would slip doing it themselves. The dr said it's very commom that when the shorts get wet those holes expand and then shrink when they dry. Needless to say I have cut out all the linings in my sons shorts

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Creepy... I have never heard of this... I'm glad She is alright!
    I just searched google images to see what it looks like... Ugh... That must have really been scary!
    Last edited by Alee142010; Sat, Feb 5th, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
    In 2010/11 I used over $7700 in coupons!
    My 2012 goal is $6000 in coupons!

:::Alee142010:::

Trading Score
    123 (99%)

Thanks for sharing! Thank-ful all is well!!

G
    http://www.facebook.com/gkbringswhatawomanwants

Like us and be entered to win a Custom Personalized bracelet!

Thread Information