User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: kindergarden

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I am a december baby and i was held behind that extra year...Same with my sister I think it did us some good. Everyone has there own opinions !!

Karen
    Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Being a homeschooler I admit I'm biased, but really... sending a three year old to full-time school? No way... most five year olds aren't even wired to handle that kind of day yet, that's why they're falling asleep on the bus coming home. Just keep her home, enjoy her and bring her along with your day in the real world. She'll learn more at home with you than in a classroom anyway.

A quote I read, taken from a grade one teacher - "Can you tell the difference between the kids who went through kindergarten and those who didn't? Absolutely - they know how to stand in line and raise their hand."

Don't let people put pressure on you to push her into the system just because they do it. She needs YOU, not a classroom.
    Always looking for reasonably healthy food coupons, non-dairy products, and friendly cleaners (esp Method brand).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

my son was 4 in october and i could have sent him to JK last september (only half day) but i just didnt think he was ready. he is pretty hyper and lacks focus so i doubt a teacher with nearly 30 other kids would have the patience needed for him at that point. plus his home daycare provider is such a good teacher anyway. i do plan on putting him in JK this september (still half day).

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

I'd love to homeschool in a way. But she is shy and I am just not confident enough that I could organize everything o she has enough time with other kids plus working on all the learning.Although she does know quite a bit now and it is only kindergarden... I would appreciate the break as well. I am just not a very organized person,lol.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

there is no rush to send your kids to jk...they spend most of their time playing, doing crafts...jk and sk courses are very similar...sometimes it's combines jk/sk class. so i dont think your child will miss out a lot if he/she didn't go to jk...

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

here in Alberta (well the town i live in anyway) sk is either mon,wed,2nd fri full day or mon-fri half day, DS was born feb6 and makes the cut off (feb 28) he will only be 4 going into school in sept, but since being in day homes he is ready and wanting to go to school ... you know your child and what he/she can handle ... just go with your gut ...

Trading Score
    98 (100%)

so did you end up sending your daughter this year? please share the experience..
    my son will be going to full day jk next year (2012)..he'll be 4 next October..but he is a late talker and i'm just afraid of the full-day..

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    DD was a mid December baby. Oh, how I cringed at the idea of sending a 3 year old on the bus every other day for a 75 minute ride each way and a full day of school. Yup. You read that correctly. 75 mins each way for the ride.
    Although I suspect they've improved over the yrs. With my youngest being 26 my input here is probably considered archaic lol.

P/u was 7:10 am w/drop off at 5:15 pm.....twas a very long day especially for my ds who started grade one w/this schedule (middle child).

K then for rural was half days M/W with a full day Friday.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

yikes on the 75 min rides
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

sorry,don't visit this section frequently and just realized it was bumped back up. No, i didn't send her. I will send her next September though, i am thinking of attempting to ask if i could still do half days to and although i think she is a smart girl and could probably adjust... i just don't like it!lol.

My grandpa used to be on the school board of directors and even he disagrees with full day kindergarden.

I think it is basically just free babysitting for kids parents whom both work which i support and totally understand( i think it is awsome for them) and all but i just think those whom have the option should get the choice.

It's not like i don't teach her anything at home. In fact the one on one teaching is probably better. One problem she is shy. She is in a little library reading group for year or so now(probably best program yet) and she finally goes in the room by herself now this year and she went on her own in swim lessons in summer this year,also in skating.

i was just watching the news on chch, where they argue and the topic was starting school at age 2 as mandatory! One of them argued that they have to look at the big picture,that most parents don't stay at home with their kids and that they are in daycare...well i don't see how it couldn't be optional then.Sheesh,crazy idea, a 2 year old in school all day.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kris10 View Post
    i was just watching the news on chch, where they argue and the topic was starting school at age 2 as mandatory! One of them argued that they have to look at the big picture,that most parents don't stay at home with their kids and that they are in daycare...well i don't see how it couldn't be optional then.Sheesh,crazy idea, a 2 year old in school all day.
    This would be a culture shock to us here in Canada, however it's reality in China, Singapore - not sure which others - although I think it was 3 last I heard. And as they get going it's 6 days a wk & I think till about 5 pm?? Don't quote me on this.

This 'view' (for lack of a better word) is part of the world's 'big picture'. The emphasis we put on education here doesn't compare to the seriousness that's it's taken abroad in many countries.

The differences in how different countries address their education systems is becoming more and more obvious especially in the fields of technology.

Doesn't mean I agree with this, just sharing.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

School at 2 is a little ridiculous...however, the daycare we are on the waitlist for here in NS bases it's curriculum on the "preschool" learning curriculum, so we're hoping we get in by next fall so we don't have to worry about sending him to both preschool and daycare at the same time!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Use your own judgement to whether or not your child is ready. My first born I kept home and only sent to SK (she even had a later birthday -Feb.) because she wasn't ready. However my second child was more than ready and carried a backpack on our walk to school to pick up her sister, she went to JK (her birthday is early - Oct.). Now my 3rd is ready for JK (another early birthday) but I'm not! lol. I am hesitant because of the full day everyday calendar but it is obvious that she wants to go (and be like her big sisters).
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information