User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What's your average weekly Grocery bill?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by carebearhamm View Post
    We eat alot of Organic Food - eggs $6, not very many organic coupons out there - I did email Amy's Organic and got some great coupons and a few free items.
    To save $$ i buy a 1/4 beef every year (i like knowing whats in it and how the animal was treated - and i think it tastes better.)
    Same here. I get most of my groceries from whole foods, and meats from a known organic butcher. There is a difference in how the animal was fed and treated, which I think is reflected in the taste as well.

Weekly average for a single person is $80-100 a week, including the odd bottle of wine here and there.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Meal Planning 101 and food budgeting. Just started, more to come.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/185786-...a/#post3064396

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

It really depends where you live in Canada and how your family eats. In our household, we spend around $150 per week on average, even with couponing. However that does include all our cleaning and personal care items, vitamins, etc. Since we do not have access to farmers markets, butcher shops or anything other than the grocery store for our items, we pay through the nose for everything. Plus, my son and husband have HUGE appetites, so there are never leftovers, no matter how big a pot of chili or stew I make, they eat it all in one meal. Worst of all, they are both skinny as rails, even with 3 helpings at a meal. If I tried to limit my husband and son's eating, I would have a riot on my hands.

I coupon a lot, and always have, but all it does is gives me more bang for my buck. My last grocery outing after not shopping for over 2 weeks cost me a little over $300 after coupons, but it was over $400 before. Total savings of $107!!!

Are you a Swaggernaut yet? Earn while you search - Click Here to get YOUR swagbucks!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Cold-Have you thought of making like quarterly trips somewhere to get stocked up and save some bucks? Do you have a Costco near you? I'm sorry if these seem foolish questions but I'm just trying to help and am new to the area.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ColdCoupons View Post
    Plus, my son and husband have HUGE appetites, so there are never leftovers, no matter how big a pot of chili or stew I make, they eat it all in one meal. Worst of all, they are both skinny as rails, even with 3 helpings at a meal. If I tried to limit my husband and son's eating, I would have a riot on my hands.
    Ahaha, this is DH. I'll make what I feel to be enough to have leftovers...and I'll wake up the next day, and he says he ate it all when he got home from work.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'd say around 40$ a week here, it's just my mom and I though.
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Awesome. Thanks for doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by BVOGT30 View Post
    Meal Planning 101 and food budgeting. Just started, more to come.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/185786-...a/#post3064396
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Just food alone...my budget for 2 adults and one 3 year old is $60. I take advantage of ethnic supermarkets where the produces is generally cheaper.

I don't need to buy any personal care/cleaning items (ie: paper towels to toothpaste) for the next year and a half since I'm pretty stocked up. Actually my goal this year is not to buy any more personal care/cleaning items and start using my stash.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BVOGT30 View Post
    Cold-Have you thought of making like quarterly trips somewhere to get stocked up and save some bucks? Do you have a Costco near you? I'm sorry if these seem foolish questions but I'm just trying to help and am new to the area.
    Not foolish at all, but you have to understand where we are located - 800 km from the next town. I have to drive an entire day to Winnipeg if I want to shop like that, spend money on gas and hotels and meals, and then drive another full day back. Logistically it is just impossible.

I will be moving back to Alberta next year, where I have access to everything again and am really looking forward to the savings. BTW, I do secret shop as well, so when I do travel out, I get some discounts on hotel, meals, gas, etc. and I do shop while out, but I just cant go that often due to the distance.

Are you a Swaggernaut yet? Earn while you search - Click Here to get YOUR swagbucks!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

bump

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi -- I spend about $50 a week on groceries but just me and my dog. I've been eating out more because I get 50% off deals on dining through CanPages.
    Last edited by Dcarlson; Tue, May 24th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

$100 per week.. give or take

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ColdCoupons View Post
    It really depends where you live in Canada and how your family eats. In our household, we spend around $150 per week on average, even with couponing. However that does include all our cleaning and personal care items, vitamins, etc. Since we do not have access to farmers markets, butcher shops or anything other than the grocery store for our items, we pay through the nose for everything. Plus, my son and husband have HUGE appetites, so there are never leftovers, no matter how big a pot of chili or stew I make, they eat it all in one meal. Worst of all, they are both skinny as rails, even with 3 helpings at a meal. If I tried to limit my husband and son's eating, I would have a riot on my hands.

I coupon a lot, and always have, but all it does is gives me more bang for my buck. My last grocery outing after not shopping for over 2 weeks cost me a little over $300 after coupons, but it was over $400 before. Total savings of $107!!!
    Ditto! It's a 2 day drive to Edmonton for us! We have a butcher in town, well butcher of sorts. But it's cheaper to buy the Club Packs at the grocery store. You make do with what you've got.

Recently, I've taken an interest in once a month cooking (although I'm not so hard core). So when certain ingredients are on sale, I'll buy a whole smack of them and cook up 4 meals worth.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We are a family of 5 with a baby. My budget is $230, but I usually spend $150 - $170 and the rest can be used to add to our stockpile. I plan the menu so my shop is precise. I have to buy hypo-allergenic formula...so that is $50/week.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

We budget $125 for 2 adults, a 2yr old and a piggy of a cat!

Although, we usually never go over budget, but we also don't buy very much in processed foods. We try to stay with fresh, healthy alternatives and try to make our own bread, muffins, and make meals at home. We make our own chili, pasta sauce, broth, etc so that cuts down on costs. We are huge fruit and veggie eaters though, so that usually adds a little bit more to our bill, but we don't eat frozen over fresh if we don't have to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information