User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'm approaching 40, my DH is older than me, we have one child. For those and several other reasons, we're done having kids.

DH is in the process of scheduling a vasectomy, which I'm perfectly OK with, we decided this together. Part of the reason is the (very low) failure rate of the pill - I drink a fair bit of wine, I don't want to become pregnant accidentally at my age, and when I drink more than is safe for a baby.

I have every intention of continuing with the pill, solely to make periods light/easy or at best, non-existant.

Does anyone know if there's another option? I saw an ad tonight on TV for a pill called Seasonique, you get a period four time a year (woohoo!). Anybody have input on this or other similar ones?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

You can do that with the regular pill. Just bust open a new pack every 3 weeks instead of taking the placebos in the last week. I've done it for special occasions when I didn't want my period annoying me. Your doctor can confirm the technique.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Yes, I've done that too for special occasions, when we're going camping, etc. But I'm looking for a more permanent soution.

Plus my insurance won't cover a prescription that is earlier than it should be. It's expected that I get a prescription every three months, if I get it filled a few weeks early it's not covered.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

if you get depo prevera ( which is the shot) your period will stop. you only need to get the shot every 3 months. Ive never been on it, But have heard side effects are wieght gain.

Banned
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

I have no advice...but I read the title of the thread and I felt the collective shudder of all the men-folk on here!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessep13 View Post
    if you get depo prevera ( which is the shot) your period will stop. you only need to get the shot every 3 months. Ive never been on it, But have heard side effects are wieght gain.
    Some people react very badly to depo prevera, and unlike the pills you can't just "stop" for those months. Have you considered an IUD? My friend has one, she loves it. I think she has the minera one which also has hormones in it (unlike the traditional one). She still keeps birth control tests on hand, but it's very unlikely that she'll get preggo on (and since your dh is getting a V, you probably wouldn't need to worry about it). Again, nice thing about this one, is if you have problems with it, it can be taken out. (also lasts up to 5 years)...

I'm currently on the birth control known as "not getting any" .
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
    I have no advice...but I read the title of the thread and I felt the collective shudder of all the men-folk on here!
    Meh, men should realize it's a part of life. I hate the idea of having to hide this aspect of my "womanhood" from them. My new manager made a comment that one of us girls had left a box of tampons out in the bathroom where the two guys could see and I was all "what's wrong with that?".
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Saving money is my goal..
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I opted out for the Minera IUD after having our baby and realizing that we are getting too old to have anymore. Check it out as I love it so far..
    Love Live Laugh

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I wouldn't suggest it. Those periods will be .. hell , pretty much. Your body needs to shed that, and when it cant you'll get all sorts of pain, and it'll 'build up' I was on the pill for the sole reason of horrible cramping, and to 'regulate' and after a while they had said to keep taking it without the brake, and when I did stop (after 2 months) it was worse then even before I started taking any.

thats just my opinion, i'd hate for you to be in horrendous pain for a week, when it's preventable
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't speak to how well Seasonique works, but I was able to use my regular BC pills, and take them continuously, to eliminate my period. I suffered horrible migraines around my cycle. I didn't have a period for good couple of years. When I did stop taking birth control to have kids, there was nothing different about my periods. They weren't heavier or crampier.
    nothingfancy

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBella View Post
    I wouldn't suggest it. Those periods will be .. hell , pretty much. Your body needs to shed that, and when it cant you'll get all sorts of pain, and it'll 'build up'
    Sorry but this isn't true at all. You do not ovulate when your on the pill, the pill makes your body think your already pregnant so you don't ovulate, you just fake get a period. There is NO buildup or "needs to shed"

All seasonique is is a low dose pill that you dont take a break on until every three months. So basically it would be like taking yaz or other similar low dose BCP continuously. If seasonique is available in Canada i'd try the "loseasonique" of you have the option. I'm on Yaz now and I dont even get a period when I stop takin g it most months lol.

My husband has had a vas. but I'm still on the pill for period control and for hormones.

Bella, heres a link that will teach you about how the bcp works http://www.womhealth.org.au/healthjo...onceptions.htm

The Pill tricks the body into believing it is pregnant. When the Pill was being developed, however, it was felt that women would find the lack of a normal menstrual cycle disconcerting. Many women, for example, rely on their regular menstrual period for reassurance of not being pregnant. Consequently, it was decided to have the Pill consist of 21 days of active pills (pills containing the hormones), followed by a pill-free interval of seven days (either no pills or sugar pills). The rapid decline in the artificial hormones which occurs in the pill-free interval results in a 'withdrawal bleed', which somewhat resembles a menstrual period and is often still referred to as a 'period' for simplicity. It is important, however, for women to understand that when they take the Pill the bleeding which occurs during the pill free interval is not a menstrual period."

"
    Last edited by Sally888; Mon, Apr 18th, 2011 at 12:28 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

A little off topic, but that above link may not contain entirely true information, as being on the pill does not guarantee a complete cessation of ovulation. Some researchers think many as 10%+ of women taking the pill for year will see "break-through" ovulation, where the pill directions were followed exactly and ovulation still occurs (and therefore pregnancy can as well).

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by poppleton View Post
    A little off topic, but that above link may not contain entirely true information, as being on the pill does not guarantee a complete cessation of ovulation. Some researchers think many as 10%+ of women taking the pill for year will see "break-through" ovulation, where the pill directions were followed exactly and ovulation still occurs (and therefore pregnancy can as well).
    Exactly! I was on the pill and I still got pregnant with DS (no regrets whatsoever, timing was just a little off...lol)

DH is getting snipped soon too so I won't have to be on the pill anymore!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I go to another BB and the women there all love the Mirena. Except the ones who hate it. I have no experience with it. I ended up with another C with Ds2 and I told them if I wasn't able to VBAC they should do a tubal while in there so I'm spayed.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have a mirena. Had it put in in Feb. Yesterday was the first day since Feb 9th that I went a full 24 hours with out a tampon or pad. I bled constantly (eg soaking throw pads/tampons every 4 hours), not just light spotting -- for 2 months. Just throwing that out there. Apparently it isn't considered abnormal until it's been over 4 months.

With some women Mirena's thin the uterine lining too much. They are testing an IUD with lower levels of hormones in it now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information