User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: H&M - Really bad experience today

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

The reason for asking for photo ID is for loss prevention, as well as audit purposes. If the same name comes up over and over again, then LP will look into it and tell the stores to no longer accept returns from them. If this policy isn't followed, stores could lose lots of $$ from people simply picking up an item off the shelf, going to the cash register and asking for a refund.

I work at Home Outfitters, and we actually caught somebody doing that. He would product photo ID, but when it came to him trying 3 times in 1 week, we kind of caught on and took the item from him, looked at the cameras, and sure enough he was scamming us. I am NOT saying people on here are doing that, but think of it at the store level... IMHO...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mle View Post
    I think this is turning a molehill into a mountain.
    I agree! Chill out all you have to do is go back with a piece of I.D and you are fine.

The money that they would lose in fraudulent returns if they didn't have this policy would far far far outway the odd upset person over giving out information.

The reason for asking for a postal code is for flyer delivery usually. If a store knows where the customer base comes from they can use that information in deciding what publications to use to send out flyers to reach customers and what areas not to send them too.

I work as a service technician for a retail store and I see how badly customers treat our customer service people. I am guessing from your response and letter sent to head office that you where not exactly polite and respectful with the store, there is always two sides of the story. Buying items from the store does not give you the right to treat the people that work there like dog crap. If you really didn't do that then the customer before you probably did and the person was just having a bad day. We are all human, and will all make mistakes from time to time. You get much further in being nice to customer service then being rude, emailing head office and questioning about policies.

sorry for my little rant, I just see how upset people get over customers on a daily basis. It's not uncommon for customer service reps to be crying in the lunchroom over how badly a customer treated them, or having to go on stress leave. Show some respect and politeness and you will get it back.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBays View Post
    Oh you must here my story. I live in a small city(population 5000) where everyone knows everyone. I worked in the post office for 25 years ,with a gal we'll call Josie-for 20 of those years. Canada ppost recently implemented this policy where you have to produce picture ID before you can pick up a parcel. So I get a parcel and Josie will NOT give it to me until I produce picture ID. Let me tell you I nearly went postal! So you see there is stupid stupid people out there.

As much as I dislike Canada Post I have to agree with this policy. I will rather them ask for the ID, which I have no problem giving, than for someone else to be able to go and get my parcel. Now, I know you worked there but if the policy has changed and she has to follow it than I dont see why you just dont show your ID. Things change in life and we are always trying to adapt and just because you worked there and everyone in town knows everyone, obviously store has put the new policy that they want everyone to abid by. And than means people that used to work there and they know who they are. If they give you stuff without ID, than they'd have to do it for everyone. I dont see why its such a problem.

I will tell you a story that happened to me. I was in the office talking to my advisor and I needed to provide my banking info to him to put in my file. I called my bank to get my banking info and general rule is when you are calling bank to get your banking info, is to ask you security questions.
    Here is what happened to me:

Me: Hi, Im just calling to get my banking info, please.
    Bank Manager: Sure, let me pull your file. (I have entered my info already when called, but they still have to double check your identity in case you pressed an incorrect button)
    Me: Puzzled he is not asking me any security questions but thinking he still might.
    BM: Here is your banking info XXX XXX XXXXXX
    Me: (Writting it down but something is off. I am thinking this is not what I can remember my banking info being, I can remember my last 3 digits and its def. not what he gave me)
    BM: Anything else I can help you with?
    Me: No, thank you. (I wasnt thinking straight as I was still thinking of what he gave me)

Anyways, I am talking to my advisor and he sees that I am making faces and he asked me if I was ok, so I explain to him what I was thinking so he offered to call the bank again for me and put them on speaker to see if they will ask for any security questions if he calls and he punches all my info in the system as usually I would. Guy anaswers, not sure if its the same person or not but it doesnt matter, we just want to see if they will ask any security questions. Guy answers and asks how he can help, my advisor (obviously being a guy) says I just need my banking info please. My name is female name and there is a guy calling asking for banking info. Guy proceeds to say I will look into your file and get you all the info.... no security questions... guys comes back and starts giving the info and my advisor cuts him off and says, wait a minute, arent you going to ask who I am? To confirm the address? Birthday? anything?

Guy pauses and goes on to say that when we enter our info in phone system they get all the info and thats security enough. I jump up at this point and say, excuse me, this person just entered my banking info who is obviously male and my account is under female name and you were about to give him my info. I was furious that they werent checking security. (same with asking for ID) I will rather be safe than sorry.

Either way, I took over the call and asked him again for my banking info with added security questions to make sure the numbers are correct.

Well, the numbers now with the previous ones were NOT the same. I was given the wrong banking info (never found out whos because i shredded the info that belong to someone else)

My advisor was discusted by this. I went straight to bank after this and made sure that they all ask me for my birthday and address when I am in, even if they see me standing in front of them and they all know me. I didnt care, I needed to make sure my info is secure and not everyone can access it.

Based on my experience, I believe it is VERY important that we follow rules, because they are really benefiting us and making sure our info is secure or our items. I bet that everyone would complain here if someone else took their items and security wasnt in place and no one asked for their ID.

We cant have it both ways.
    Last edited by MostarkaGirl; Thu, Dec 15th, 2011 at 10:02 AM.

Follow my Beauty Blog on instagram @officialbestofglam
    or on facebook @bestofglam

I write reviews on all new and upcoming beauty products
    Sephora is my grand love

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

No need to make it a big deal. It's standard practice in retail these days and you entered the store with merchandise that did not accompany a receipt. Retailers reserve the right to ask for ID for any returns or exchanges. It sounds like the girl you dealt with at the store was doing her job correctly and these days you need to have other ID aside from something without a photo on it. You should have saved your questions for a supervisor or manager who probably would have told you the same thing. The cashier cannot bend the rules for you or anyone else as she could be dismissed for what could be considered "stealing from the company".

I think you probably had a legitimate claim, you wanted to exchange items without a receipt and there's nothing wrong with that. But I feel badly for the employee as I have worked in Retail Management and seen people like you who come in and get really upset, question policies that I have no control over, etc,. If you expected better service and wanted to learn more detail about their return policy, you should have asked for a Supervisor IMO.

Not satisfied after that? Go to another H&M store.. I am doubtful that you would have been treated any differently though.
    Last edited by Brynhilde; Thu, Dec 15th, 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience... I usually have that kind of poor service when I go to H&M... I go to Forever 21 instead, same 'teen' clothes, same price, but less messy. Your daughter would prob like that store!
    MY ORANGE KEY 16680564S1
    Every time a friend opens a Tangerine Account with $100 or more and uses your Orange Key, you'll both get $25.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I think asking for ID is a perfectly reasonable request. Unfortunately, people are not always as honest as you are, and many customers who walk in with merchandise with no receipt have shoplifted the item the day before. Stores ask for ID so that those people can't do this on a repeat basis. It helps keep the prices down for all of us....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree, it's okay to ask for ID. I find comfort in that usually, especially since I have nothing to hide. But the treatment by the associated was uncalled for. Customer service really seems to be lacking these days. Next time, ask to speak to a manager. That's what I do.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't think that ID would change anything when returning an item, unless you provide your first and last name, address and phone number, then would make sense to ask for ID to confirm that customer isn't giving fraudulent info. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
    On the other hand, yes, the personel was quite rude to you which should not happen to anyone. If they say it's a policy, they must know how to explain it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ksua View Post
    I don't think that ID would change anything when returning an item, unless you provide your first and last name, address and phone number, then would make sense to ask for ID to confirm that customer isn't giving fraudulent info. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
    On the other hand, yes, the personel was quite rude to you which should not happen to anyone. If they say it's a policy, they must know how to explain it.
    they make a record with the id. if a customer is repeatedly returning things without a receipt, they can mark them for investigation or block them from making returns
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For me its very unusual to be asked for ID while making a return without a receipt! In fact Sephora is the only one where I have been asked to show ID and I put it down to them being an US company. Didn't know it was so widespread. I don't drive therefore have no other gov't ID other than my health card and passport and most places DO NOT accept your health card as good enough gov't ID (at least here in Ontario . . . or maybe I should narrow it down to Ottawa!) Which seems pretty ridiculous to me seeing as it is issued by the government!! There have been a few instances where my student ID in conjunction with my health card ID have helped me but generally your health card is not accepted as ID. Leaves those of us with no driver's license in quite the conundrum.

Whether or not ID is required the staff should be polite! Its part of their job requirements . . . I should know since I work in retail lol.
    Last edited by aldiba; Tue, Mar 27th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also had a bad experience at H&M. I purchased a coat for may daughter who is very petite and very hard to find her size. When I saw her size, I bought it. But she lives far from me and only came home at Xmas time. When she tried the coat it was tight on the chest and we went to exchange it. When I went to the store with the original receipt, I was told that it was over a month, the item was reduced by 20.00 and we could only exchange it for the sale price for another item or items on sale. Needless to say I was not a happy campter. I could understand that after a montht they don't give you a refund but I was expecting a store credit so I could go back and spend it later when I had more time. Instead I had to buy something on the spot that I didn't like from the sale rack.
    I don't understand why I could not exchange for any item in the store. I felt first of all conned of my $20.00 because my receipt clearly showed what I paid for it. Now I was getting less for the item but what really got to me was not being able to get a store credit or exchange for anything in the store that I liked. It had to be a sale item.
    I also felt that I had to do it right there and then, when I didn't have a lot of time and would have been eaiser for me to go back some other time. I was told that I could hold on to it and go back later when I had more time but I figured that if I did that and the item got a further reduction in price, I would be conned of a larger amount. I even wondered if that was the idea.
    Well, I sent their head office an email today, it will be interesting to see if I'm going to receive a reply but even if I do, the bottom line is that I will never again shop there. I used to be regular but that's it for me. I have returned things at other stores and never have I had such an experience. I really felt conned.
    I also checked their policy on line and it states that merchandise over 30 days will be refunded at the last activity/sale price or the current selling price, whichever is lower, in the form of a merchandise credit (does not state that you can choose from the sale rack only)
    Well, just a bad experience over all, I will take my business somewhere else where customer service and satisfaction means something.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also had a bad experience at H&M. I purchased a coat for may daughter who is very petite and very hard to find her size. When I saw her size, I bought it. But she lives far from me and only came home at Xmas time. When she tried the coat it was tight on the chest and we went to exchange it. When I went to the store with the original receipt, I was told that it was over a month, the item was reduced by 20.00 and we could only exchange it for the sale price for another item or items on sale. Needless to say I was not a happy campter. I could understand that after a montht they don't give you a refund but I was expecting a store credit so I could go back and spend it later when I had more time. Instead I had to buy something on the spot that I didn't like from the sale rack.
    I don't understand why I could not exchange for any item in the store. I felt first of all conned of my $20.00 because my receipt clearly showed what I paid for it. Now I was getting less for the item but what really got to me was not being able to get a store credit or exchange for anything in the store that I liked. It had to be a sale item.
    I also felt that I had to do it right there and then, when I didn't have a lot of time and would have been eaiser for me to go back some other time. I was told that I could hold on to it and go back later when I had more time but I figured that if I did that and the item got a further reduction in price, I would be conned of a larger amount. I even wondered if that was the idea.
    Well, I sent their head office an email today, it will be interesting to see if I'm going to receive a reply but even if I do, the bottom line is that I will never again shop there. I used to be regular but that's it for me. I have returned things at other stores and never have I had such an experience. I really felt conned.
    I also checked their policy on line and it states that merchandise over 30 days will be refunded at the last activity/sale price or the current selling price, whichever is lower, in the form of a merchandise credit (does not state that you can choose from the sale rack only)
    Well, just a bad experience over all, I will take my business somewhere else where customer service and satisfaction means something.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

If you don't have a driver's license you can get a proof of age card. My SIL has this type of card for when you need ID.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by caroman View Post
    I agree with not asking for id of any kind. I see no reason to provide id just to exchange an item w/o a receipt.
    But she wasn't exchanging the item. She wanted to return the item and get something different.
    The cashier said she could do a straight exchange for her, but that isn't what the OP was looking for.

I understand having to show ID if you don't have a receipt and don't want to do a straight exchange.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

There's also Photo ID's for Ontario. They look like the Driver's, but in Pinky-Purple. I have one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information