User Tag List

Thread: Mmmm, lobster!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My Mom moved in with us last weekend, quite a major undertaking. We've been quite busy, getting all her stuff sorted out, etc.

She wasn't here for Mothers Day, we sent a card and said we'd celebrate when she came.

Tonight DH went out with his friends, and he doesn't enjoy any seafoodr really. DS and I both love it, Mom too. So I spent about $30 and bought us each a lobster at Sobeys. YUM! It was delicious. Even my DS (who is five) ate most of his. I find it so funny that he knows how to eat a lobster, even though he can't quite eat the whole thing.
    This thread is currently associated with: Sobeys

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Sounds like a good time to me!

I'm not a fan of seafood but I do enjoy watching people eat lobster. I don't know if thats weird lmao. I just like to see them crack it open and go at it hahaha.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

It's not something we eat in a restaurant for sure. It's too messy, best eaten with newspaper as placemats.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

yummy....we had lobster at luch today too lol

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    83 (100%)

yumm sounds sooooo good!!!
    barberella

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

to be honest i dont have the slightest clue how to cook lobster but i sure would like to try.i love EATING lobster...just don't know proper protocol with cooking/cracking/eating the right parts..lol

~just your average nerd~

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Cooking is very easy. Boil a pot of water, enough to submerge the lobster. Add a teaspoon of salt (or use seawater if you have access to it, no salt necessary then).

Once it's boiling, put him in alive (yeah, that's kinda creepy), a lobster a bit over one pound will cook in seven or eight minutes.

Eating the major parts (claws and tail): Tail, twist it off and it comes off whole. Insert your fork into the underside of the tail, kind of bend the tail downwards while holding your fork still, it should come out mostly whole.

Claws, twist off the 'arms' (don't know what else to call them, the jointed bits that are not part of the main claw!), crack in a few spots to get the meat out. Careful because those parts usually have some spiny bits that can poke your hands.

Use a small 'pick' tool to remove meat from the arms.

I won't get deep into how to eat the body, many people don't even bother. I don't eat the green innards (liver, also known as tamale), or the red bits you get in female lobsters (roe I think?). And don't eat up by its head, brains are not healthy food. But there is some meat to be found in the body if you're up to digging for it. See, not really appropriate in a restaurant setting!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

thanks..i have had tails at restaurants but never a whole one...they are cheap right now where i live @,there's trucks that come with a tank on the back every summer from somewhere in B.C,and they are good

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Great that you got to have such a special meal together!

I love lobster, but honestly haven't had any for about 25 years! I had lobster tail a few times, but never a whole lobster.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Once it's boiling, put him in alive (yeah, that's kinda creepy)
    I don't like to eat the guts so I find it easier to clean the lobster before cooking

http://www.cooking-lobster.com/cooki...r-killing.html

After the head is cut in half, cut through the tail the same way, tail might flip so watch out for splashing. Rinse guts out under cold running water. Put on tray to broil and brush with garlic butter and sprinkle with salt. Watch how it twitches and pulsates when the salt is sprinkled on, despite being cut in half and guts removed. Yummy!!

How is that for creepy?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

lucky you ..
    My DH is from Nova Scotia, so addicted to seafood ..
    we decided to treat the children to Lobster ..
    all went well as they were excited to pick out the living beings ..
    they never saw the *Murder *...as I kept them out side while DH stuck in water ( I can not do this) .

but when it arrived on plate .my daughter took one look at it's face ..and shoved her plate away .

it looked at her
    The Pretty Little Rose replied, "If I prick you just once, you will remember me forever.."

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muggos0101 View Post
    I don't like to eat the guts so I find it easier to clean the lobster before cooking

http://www.cooking-lobster.com/cooki...r-killing.html

After the head is cut in half, cut through the tail the same way, tail might flip so watch out for splashing. Rinse guts out under cold running water. Put on tray to broil and brush with garlic butter and sprinkle with salt. Watch how it twitches and pulsates when the salt is sprinkled on, despite being cut in half and guts removed. Yummy!!

How is that for creepy?
    Uh, kinda disturbing....

Trading Score
    118 (100%)

Jealous! LOL

Glad it was enjoyable!

Thread Information