User Tag List

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

SDM says it was a mistake apparently due to some kind of glitch. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I also called after reading home4now’s post (#25) here:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/201733-...2/#post3382582

Optimum CS told me I shouldn’t have been charged taxes. I called the head cashier at the store and she said yes there was a problem with code 2002 and she didn’t know why but there was no change in the coupon policy. She said when I come in next time I could get my taxes back (which I did).

Last Friday, I got a callback (at my request) from an Optimum manager who was unaware of the problem but confirmed there should be no taxes with code 2002. And yesterday the head cashier said she received notice from HQ that it was a glitch and everything is back to normal.

So apparently it didn’t have anything to do with a new coupon policy or new cash registers. If you still have your receipt you can try contacting the store to ask for your taxes back (ask to speak with the head cashier). Or call Optimum (and they can see your receipt if you don’t have it anymore).

IMO, everyone should be able to get their taxes back or at least get points to compensate for the problem.

Silk
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

in ontario it is actually tax law, that you don't get charged taxes on freebies. freebies meaning something that was a free offer.

sooooo, if they are mucking around with stuff that falls under provincial law then what the heck are these companies doing that we don't know about ;p

sometimes you just wonder!

thank you for the info tho, i'm sure there are some ppl out there who don't even realize
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    in ontario it is actually tax law, that you don't get charged taxes on freebies. freebies meaning something that was a free offer.

sooooo, if they are mucking around with stuff that falls under provincial law then what the heck are these companies doing that we don't know about ;p

sometimes you just wonder!

thank you for the info tho, i'm sure there are some ppl out there who don't even realize

You're welcome

It is the same in Quebec - taxes are included unless it specifically says taxes are to be paid by the consumer. So I don't see how they could change the code to include taxes unless they pick and choose provinces.

My theory for the glitch is that they were playing around with it not to include taxes but to see about giving us points on FPCs! This is a big sore point that was raised a lot on their FB page with people saying that's why they use their FPCs at Zellers and other places that will give loyalty pts also.

But that's just my theory and a feeling I have Or maybe it's just wishful thinking!

Silk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    237 (100%)

Happened again today (diff store than last time) ...got charged taxes on cpn entered as 2002 so HO obviously hasn't notified all stores

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by home4now View Post
    Happened again today (diff store than last time) ...got charged taxes on cpn entered as 2002 so HO obviously hasn't notified all stores

Holy cow! Did you catch it right away and point it out? The head cashier would be the one to talk to I believe.

Silk

ETA: It's not the stores that would fix the problem, it's HQ.
    Last edited by Silk; Sun, May 29th, 2011 at 06:00 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    237 (100%)

Didn't notice til after I got home ...should've checked right away but store was crazy busy (20pts day), had a big shop and was too busy making sure all my coups got entered correctly. Don't think I'll go back as it's not a loc I usually frequent but def gonna chk b4 I leave next time!

Thread Information