User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

As some of you know, i'm 16 and i'm graduating at the end of this year (i'll be 1 at the time) and going to college the next semester they accept.

I was offered Algonquin college courses, free of charge.

Took me less then 5 minutes to deny it.

Algonquin doesn't have what I want, and i'm not going to stick myself in a giant school and be miserable for the rest of my life.

My friends just called me insane, but does anyone else agree with my mindset?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

what is it that you want to get into?
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

No, you have to do what's best for you. Free school isn't worth being miserable and if they don't have what you want then no point of wasting your time going there.
    One by one, the penguins slowly steal my sanity

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBella View Post
    I was offered Algonquin college courses, free of charge.

Algonquin doesn't have what I want, and i'm not going to stick myself in a giant school and be miserable for the rest of my life.

My friends just called me insane, but does anyone else agree with my mindset?
    You have to do what is best for you. You have to follow your instincts.

I was offered a $1500 scholarship for Centennial College some years ago.
    Centennial, Ryerson and George Brown were all working together on the same degree.
    I chose Ryerson University.
    Turns out that the Centennial part of the program was the lowest rated.
    In the end, the Ryerson part was the best choice for me.

Free is not always best.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i have no clue why i ramble
    Last edited by anisa; Mon, May 30th, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Free may not always be best BUT you can take your first year, which is typically basic standard courses like Eng/Psyc/Soc/ etc and then transfer your 2nd year to the school you want. Often by transferring you get treated (well your application does anyway) differently than first year admissions and admission can be easier.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    what is it that you want to get into?
    Hairdressing

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyah View Post
    Free may not always be best BUT you can take your first year, which is typically basic standard courses like Eng/Psyc/Soc/ etc and then transfer your 2nd year to the school you want. Often by transferring you get treated (well your application does anyway) differently than first year admissions and admission can be easier.
    I do agree with Eeyah...I did this. I took my 2nd choice school and a scholarship for my first year and then transferred to finish my degree.

It is an option for you, but whatever you choose you choose for yourself and I wish you the best of luck with school!
    "Call it magic, call it true/I call it magic when I'm with you" - Coldplay, Magic

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

None of the regular courses are needed for my course though

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

yeah you need the whole program and not a few courses.

while you have the oppurtunity tho,m is there anything at that college that you wold consider? something in addition to hairdressing?
    R

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I really just want to get this over with, I have a thing against schools Hence why i'm homeschooled

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

You're young -- take something in addition to hairdressing if they're offering you free courses! If you take a program for a year or two, finish with a certificate, and still want to do hairdressing, a hairdressing course shouldn't take too long. You may want to look into the pay offered by different careers that interest you. (I don't think hairdressing is always too profitable)

My husband has a one-year certificate from a community college in a technical field, and he makes almost what I do with six years of university! Check into salary ranges and hiring opportunities in a bunch of fields. You're graduating from high school a year early, so you have lots of time to explore different options.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    You're young -- take something in addition to hairdressing if they're offering you free courses! If you take a program for a year or two, finish with a certificate, and still want to do hairdressing, a hairdressing course shouldn't take too long. You may want to look into the pay offered by different careers that interest you. (I don't think hairdressing is always too profitable)

My husband has a one-year certificate from a community college in a technical field, and he makes almost what I do with six years of university! Check into salary ranges and hiring opportunities in a bunch of fields. You're graduating from high school a year early, so you have lots of time to explore different options.
    I don't want to take a course because pay. Thats what everyones saying I need to do and it's just not something I want. I want hairdressing, and if I do something else for pay i'll just have $$ and be misrable. Hairdressing CAN be profitable if you do it properly, open a shop and keep taking courses to future your career.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Then maybe some business administration, marketing, or accounting courses would be helpful to you if you want to run a successful business?

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I always say if you don't like it, don't do it Congrats on you graduating!!!
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information