User Tag List

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hello,we are a family of 3 and we go through alot of garbage..i just noticed last week as my husband took a truckload to the dump of junk and miscellaneous items that we had to take there because we forgot garbage day.i don't know about you guys but in my town we have a limit of 4 large garbage bags per week.we usually amount to 6.

i was reading about composting and i am just not sure where to put it in our yard and what to throw in there..just wanted to hear from anyone that does and what you can put in there and then what do you do with it?

i have birds near my yard,particularly crows so i would need a way to keep them out...how much does it stink? etc...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I tried it for a while, but gave it up. Obviously I wasnt keeping up with it, because it stunk like poo, and if you are adding things in there correctly, it should not stink.
    Anything food, hair, newspapers, leaves that type of stuff. You have to add dry and wet layers and turn it ever now and then. I would put it out of the way, behind a shed or something because it is an eyesore.
    You should get some really good free dirt for the garden from it.
    We have very little in the way of compostibles, so we put it out for the green bin instead now.
    We are on a one bag limit, plus weekly recycle pickup. Any large items, we put out on the side of the road for passerbys to take, or call garbage and they will pick up, up to 4 large items per week. Its a program they run every summer. Maybe there is something like that in your area. Sure beats paying the dump fees!
    Smaller stuff in good shape goes to value village
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

my mom kind of does a compost i guess...she has a garden out back with flowers and she puts her egg shells and old potato shvings in there...i will give it a try...i have tons of shredded paper and coffee grounds that i could throw in there..that is what mostly fills the garbage..my paper shredding,and caffeine habit

~just your average nerd~

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Home Hardware has a metal bin composter.I have had a metal bin composter for years.Just toss in some dirt between layers of compostable material,aerate the compostable material with a garden fork,if the compostable material gets to dry then water it.My composter and compost smell okay doesn't stink.
    Last edited by Poirot; Sun, Jul 31st, 2011 at 08:59 PM.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

we have a bin out back for composting and we have a tiny little green plastic container we keep under the sink to throw compost stuff in and when it gets full it gets dumped out back. I don't know what the container is called but it has something in the lid to absorb the odour so it doesnt smell when it's in the house.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Thread Information