User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey, this is my first time in tea room. I wasn't sure where to post this.

I came accross an article on the chemicals in Bounce sheets as was amazed at how many were in them. I don't know what I thought they were made of but sheepily have to admit never thought of finding out.

In the article it mentioned using white vinegar in the washer for fabric sofener and static cling. Was iffy on it thinking they would come out smelling like vinegar and didn't really think it would work.

I did however try it and I'm so amazed! I don't usually use fabric softened just Bounce. I added what the article called for 1 cup of white vinegar in the fabric softener slot. My clothes still smell good. They are softer and no static cling. The article aslo mentioned the vinegar helps prevent mildew in the washer.

Win win in my book. White vinegar is so much cheaper than Bounce that I'm saving money. Just wanted to pass along this to anyone else who might want to give it a try.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Thanks. Must try this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I use vinegar all the time. Not only as a fabric softener, but it's great for getting out bad smells. I have an older cat who always pees our rugs (she's healthy, she just has attitude since we don't let her out anymore) and the only thing that gets the smell out is vinegar.

I also use it as a cleaner for our toilets, kettle, bathtub, etc.

Kings County Coupon Queen sarah_300c's Avatar
    Trading Score
    693 (100%)

Fabric Softener is supposed to be one of the most toxic chemicals in a family home. I have tried using liquid fabric softener before but I didn't notice a difference other than the clothes smell pretty nice.

I don't bother using bounce sheets in the summer, only in the winter because static is bad then. I've heard you can use a tennis ball instead of a bounce sheet, but I think the clunking would drive me nuts.

I use vinegar for mopping the floors. It works awesome and it disinfects too! Haven't tried it in my wash yet, I`ll have to try it next time!
    Last edited by sarah_300c; Mon, Aug 1st, 2011 at 03:08 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Can you use the vinegar in the front load washers?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My mother has been using vinegar for 40 years. I've always used it because I'm sensitive to soaps and detergents. I do use it in my front-load washer.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i use vinegar for everything but laundry so thanks for the tip will try

Learning to Relax NovaScotiaGirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

HI there, I previously owned a new home cleaning company and vinegar was the cleaner of choice always. Also a tip for cleaning hard wood floors without the expensive harsh cleaners is a couple tea bags in water, just make sure to ring out the mop super good but it gives a nice shine without chemical residue

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I'm going to have to give this a try. TY OP

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Vinegar rocks! And--it's natural so you never worry about what in heaven's name you're exposing yourself to with the sheets or the liquid.

I've used vinegar in my front load washer before with no issues. Like another poster, I have a cat who sometimes takes aim on clothes and vinegar gets the smell right out.

Never heard that you could use it simply as a fabric softener though. Will have to try that.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Vinegar is wonderful stuff. I use it in my front loader too. I also use it was a general purpose cleaner in the kitchen. It removes the greasy cooking spills from the stove door and the carbon deposits on my wood burning fire's door.

It's also a plant killer so I use it in areas I don't want any plants to grow, loke the drive. I wouldn't use it on the lawn or flower beds since it is non-specific.

Thread Information