User Tag List

Thread: scam or what?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    23 (100%)

today, I received a phone call from 603-893-9893 and a real person was telling me how someone is trying to hack into my internet, to which I replied, "uhhh.. is this a scam?"

then the person said if it was a scam, they would not have our information and began telling us our address, including postal code and even the head household's name.

he then asked me if my computer was on, which I said yes, and he told me go onto a website (which was of course, a little sketchy so I hung up)

Is this a scam or not? I tried to google the number and nothing really shows up... I'm a little scared now
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Well I looked it up on this reverse phone number site since I get alot of scams and this is the link showing that this number is a land line and it belongs to NO NEW ENGLAND TEL OP DBA FAIRPOINT COMM - NH.... Hope that helps.

http://www.reversenumberdatabase.com...e=603-893-9893
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live”. Mark Twain.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Scam - it's very easy to do reverse searches on Canada411 - also this is a good time to remind everyone not to throw out mail with your personal information on it - bills, envies - nothing.

Invest in a shredder.

Also, anyone else getting these calls should ask them who they work for, ask them what IP is trying to hack their internet, or even better, tell them you don't have a wireless access point, so what are they doing, sneaking in at night to plug into your LAN to browse ?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds fishy to me.....especially since tiffanyhungry pointed out the reverse telephone #.
    Last edited by Jbird; Sat, Aug 6th, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Total Savings: $652.98
    *Since the end of June*

Earn free money.....who doesn't love that?
    http://superpoints.com/wrpgs/9iyb7s

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
    Scam - it's very easy to do reverse searches on Canada411 - also this is a good time to remind everyone not to throw out mail with your personal information on it - bills, envies - nothing.

Invest in a shredder.

Also, anyone else getting these calls should ask them who they work for, ask them what IP is trying to hack their internet, or even better, tell them you don't have a wireless access point, so what are they doing, sneaking in at night to plug into your LAN to browse ?
    or in a burner

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Since I can't light a fire outside (or inside lol) a shredder is the next best option

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They are getting more tricky private caller now calling about Microphone Windows.I said not interested and hung up.
    Last edited by Poirot; Mon, Aug 8th, 2011 at 08:50 PM.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Someone posted something yesterday about a scam - where they dial into your computer to access any credit card numbers.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    59 (100%)

My mom got scammed by someone who called her and said they were fixing computers and checking systems. She actually let them on to her computer remotely(I know, gasp!) and they could get any info they wanted. Luckily my mom does all her banking by phone and only emails from her computer. Her system crashed right after they gained access and then she called my brother, who told her to bring her computer in to someone to check it thoroughly. She was called from India, I think, and she reported them to the RCMP. Apparently they've had some complaints. These people like to pry on seniors and people who aren't computer literate. Be wary of anyone who contacts you by phone!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It may have nothing to do with lost mail etc, these people buy mailing lits and such.

Thread Information