User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Canadian Tire

Tell us about your good or bad shopping experience at Canadian Tire stores.
    Have any compliments or complaints? any advice?

You can also use this thread to discuss hot items that could be found at Canadian Tire and items that should be avoided.

Click here to write a Canadian Tire review

------------------------------------------------------------

Canadian Tire Flyer:
    http://canadiantire.shoplocal.com

Canadian Tire Store Locations:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/storeloca...re_locator.jsp
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire, Indigo Chapters Coles Bookstore

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

First I will post the correspondance and then add further comment:

To Canadian Tire Customer Service [email protected]

Customer:
    composed Sept 16/08

I am writing to you to comment on your recent Birthday Bash Promo. On Sunday Sept 14/08 I shopped at Canadian Tire, Barton Street, Hamilton. I presented my scratch ticket to the cashier. She scratched it in a fashion that the results were concealed, and she said after she threw it in the garbage that there were no more cakes left.
    Now my concern is, I did not witness the reveal, nor she did not show it to me. When asked to see it, her reply was "too late...it's in the garbage."
    Was the prizing actually a cake or $5 or whatever. It would been easy to identify the ticket as the back was completed with name and the answer to the skill testing question.
    I am very disatisfied in how this was handled, and do not appreciate the rude mannerisms of the cashier.

For your convenience
    Store #***
    Time: 13:54:44
    Trans: #115
    Operator # ***
    Float: ***

I would appreciate a response to this. This will affect my future shopping opinions and habits with Canadian Tire.

I can be contacted via email or phone

Email Reply:
    Reply Sept 19/08

Thank you for contacting our office regarding your shopping experience at one of our Canadian Tire stores.

We are sorry to learn about your dissatisfaction with Canadian Tire. Our general managers and store managers are always interested in hearing your feedback. We invite you to please contact the Canadian Tire store directly to voice your feedback. The telephone number for the store in Hamilton is (905) 549-1336.

Providing your feedback about your personal experience directly to the store will help them understand where they can make improvements. Your feedback has been logged and will be forwarded to the store for review. When contacting the store, kindly ask for the general manager, John Cunningham or store manager, George Cerqueira.

We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond.

Corporate Customer Relations
    Canadian Tire Corporation Limited
    1-800-387-8803

Follow up:

A telephone conversation with the store Manager Sept 24/08 (they called me)

Received 2 vouchers for McCain's cakes Sept 26, 2008
    Included a letter:

Dear Mr & Mrs. ******
    As per our telephone conversation, I would like to apologize again on behalf of the management team and the cashier involved. I hope this matter has been resolved and that you do continue to shop at Canadian Tire-Centre Mall.

We did receive more cake coupons and I mentioned to you that I would mail them.

I hope you enjoy and have a great day.

Sincerely,

Carol Copeland

Conclusion:

When lodging a complaint please include store receipt numbers and as much detail as possible. I found this benefited our complaint.
    On a second note, when these stores have these events, I become tired of them "running out" and I took a stand on the issue.

Hope this helps future experiences for others.

Honestly 2 cake vouchers are very nice, but I will be keeping a watching eye on these stores and these so called events.
    Last edited by koala; Sat, Sep 27th, 2008 at 03:11 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (95%)

this helped me alot koala. same exact thing happened to me but i knew that i won a cake but they said they would call me and tell me when the cake coupons would come in but they never did since that day, I'll check the store later.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The same thing happened at the Crappy Tire on Yonge and Davenport. The cashier scratched the card and threw it away.

Myguppy
    Trading Score
    35 (100%)

I have to admit... I cheated
    If you held the ticket up to a REALLY bright light, you could see what the prize was
    I didn't have a problem using my $5 off at the Canadian Tire I went to, then again most complaints are stemming from the cake coupons.
    All I have to offer is this: if you can cheat, do so, and then you won't wonder what you've won! [don't tell my daughter]

italian beauty
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So, it's Saturday June 14th right about opening time for Canadian Tire and there I was about to go out for the day on a family picnic and what do I see spewing from my car....coolant! Everyone knows that with no coolant in your car, the car will quickly overheat. Now, let me back track to Friday afternoon when this problem started! I was about to go for a coffee with my girl friend (who lives in Guelf now by the way) for an afternoon of girl chat when I started my car and headed towards Upper James. I was about half way to Tim Hortons when my car started to over heat. So, I stopped and popped the hood and noticed that the coolant container was empty and there was a line of coolant liquid on the ground. So, I ran into Tim Hortons, bought a few bottles of water and poured it into my car just so I could speed down to the closest mechanic shop which happened to be Canadian Tire! When I finally did get to canadian tire (just in the nick of time....water bottles ran out) I had to wait just over 1 hour for a mechanic to remotely look over my car and tell me what the problem was. The mechanic there said it was an easy fix and that it would be around $200 with labor and parts to correct the situation. I gave in and called a Taxi to take me home since my girlfriend was no where near Hamilton yet (she's always late) About 8:30pm that same evening, I received a call telling me that my car was ready and to come and pick it up. I was soooo happy that I was even lucky enough to receive "same day service" that I over tipped my cab driver (LOL) When I arrived at Canadian Tire, the mechanic there said that there was a bigger problem than what he originally thought and it was gonna cost me $50.00 more than what was originally quoted. I was pissed because they went ahead and did the work without calling me for consent...what if I didn't have that extra $50.00? So, I payed the bill (thanks visa) and went home. The next day, when I was ready to leave for the family picnic as I originally said at the beginning of this story, the car was spewing coolant (again) and the container that holds the coolant was empty (again) So, to make a long story short, I missed my family picnic, the car was sent back to C.T and all to hear that I had a new problem and that it was gonna cost me more money to repair the problem. Now here's my question.....did the mechanic really fix my original problem, or did he see me coming? Well, I'm no fool! I took my car to another mechanic and sent them the bill all in thanks to my lawyer

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Good for you!

I hear those kinds of stories all the time from our Canadian Tire.

italian beauty
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know, it was just simply ridiculous and upsetting! I would never give them my business ever ever again.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had the same wierd thing happen to me .cabadian Tire Timmins Ontario. I bought a dodge caravan I paid $14.000.00 for it When the lease was up only 3 years after i bought it i had to re certify the van in my name . I went to Canadian Tire . I walked in they said they were not that bsy and could get er done in two hours. I took a cab home. I get a call its the garage they found ample problems with the vehicle everything from shocks to struts to towers to brakes a hole in my catalic converter and a fuse or two needed changing. They quoted me $3,500.00 for the work and I would be without a vehicle all week. To me the van did not have any of these problems my husband recently had the catalyc changed at a mechanic in town the struts were changed a year before and the brakes were new. I thought it was fishy so I returned to the store and ordered they stop any work they intended on doing.The guy said the safety was not don yet and I waited another 4 hours in the store for it. I finnally got mad asked to talk to the manager and he cooly came out of the office explined the work they said needed to be done was right and the van was ready to go if i didn't want to get it done.I still paid $110.00 for the safety to get a FAIL.(from them) A week later I went to BUPONT MOTERS the local dealership i brought the paper from canadian tire and after waiting only 2 hours they returned to me a PASS safety and advised me it looked like someone grabbed a screw driver and loosened my brake pad so it waas risking falling off he commented on the fact I should sue them if the brake pad had come off it could have caused irreversable damage and i might have had to replace the whole system again The stickers from the shochs and struts were still intact and you could make out they were recently replaced.the towers were fine he said my make had a problem with them but some vans were fine mine was fine. FLABERGASTED and OVERWHELMED was my reaction I was upset they did that and I swore never to return to the automotive department low and behold all my friends said they were the worst to go to for a safety and they had similar problems. SO HEADS UP DONT GET AUTO WORK DONE HERE!! I didn't sue I didn't call them back I was ignoring it for along time until now this site is awsome for watchdogs.Im one of them I shop in the store and i still get parts but i take them to a licenced mechanic who is genuenlly concerned about the vehicle and not the financial charges they could get away with. well thats my take on the AUTO DEPARTMENT RIP-OFF'S

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had the same wierd thing happen to me .cabadian Tire Timmins Ontario. I bought a dodge caravan I paid $14.000.00 for it When the lease was up only 3 years after i bought it i had to re certify the van in my name . I went to Canadian Tire . I walked in they said they were not that bsy and could get er done in two hours. I took a cab home. I get a call its the garage they found ample problems with the vehicle everything from shocks to struts to towers to brakes a hole in my catalic converter and a fuse or two needed changing. They quoted me $3,500.00 for the work and I would be without a vehicle all week. To me the van did not have any of these problems my husband recently had the catalyc changed at a mechanic in town the struts were changed a year before and the brakes were new. I thought it was fishy so I returned to the store and ordered they stop any work they intended on doing.The guy said the safety was not don yet and I waited another 4 hours in the store for it. I finnally got mad asked to talk to the manager and he cooly came out of the office explined the work they said needed to be done was right and the van was ready to go if i didn't want to get it done.I still paid $110.00 for the safety to get a FAIL.(from them) A week later I went to BUPONT MOTERS the local dealership i brought the paper from canadian tire and after waiting only 2 hours they returned to me a PASS safety and advised me it looked like someone grabbed a screw driver and loosened my brake pad so it waas risking falling off he commented on the fact I should sue them if the brake pad had come off it could have caused irreversable damage and i might have had to replace the whole system again The stickers from the shochs and struts were still intact and you could make out they were recently replaced.the towers were fine he said my make had a problem with them but some vans were fine mine was fine. FLABERGASTED and OVERWHELMED was my reaction I was upset they did that and I swore never to return to the automotive department low and behold all my friends said they were the worst to go to for a safety and they had similar problems. SO HEADS UP DONT GET AUTO WORK DONE HERE!! I didn't sue I didn't call them back I was ignoring it for along time until now this site is awsome for watchdogs.Im one of them I shop in the store and i still get parts but i take them to a licenced mechanic who is genuenlly concerned about the vehicle and not the financial charges they could get away with. well thats my take on the AUTO DEPARTMENT RIP-OFF'S

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Canadian Tire// Winnipeg, Manitoba// Regent West

I am not sure about this store. Some days it can be really good and others it can be not so good. They have the stuff most of the time but not always and they are usually prety nice but thats not all the time. They are prety good with helping you like when you are trying to find something or can't reach something. I guess it just depends what day you go in there and what workers you run in to.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I decided to write a review of the recent and ongoing horrible experience I've had with Canadian Tire, in hopes that it may prevent someone else from getting in the same situation I am in.

In Jan. of 2008 Canadian Tire had a sale on automatic vehicle starters. I live approx. 1 hour drive east from the nearest Canadian Tire (Yarmouth, NS), and 1.5 hour drive west from the next closest Canadian Tire (Bridgewater, NS). I had my friend pick one up for me who was in the area, and I gave it to DH for his birthday in Feb.

We tried getting this installed right away, once DH had opened his gift. The first Canadian Tire we tired (Yarmouth, NS), took the appointment and then called the day before we were to have it installed, and cancelled as the technician they had trained to do this had quit. They said it could take a month or so for someone else to get trained to install vehicle starters and would call us back to make the appointment at that time. Feb, and March went by, with no further contact. April came, and we called them back to make the appointment, and was once again told that there was no one in the store who knew how to install starters. They said that their technician would be trained by the end of the month. May went by. June came, I called them again, and wasn't very polite to them about their service (or lack of). I said we really wanted this item installed, and if they can't install it, we would return it. I told them they stop selling these products if they can't install them. The person I was speaking to took my name and number and told me he would give me a call back in a few minutes. He was going to try and see what he could do. I still haven't received his call (it's now October).

After realizing that Canadian Tire in Yarmouth was a waste of time, we began to try making appointments in the next closest Canadian Tire, which is 1.5 hours drive away in Bridgewater, NS. We started this process in August of 2008. We had one appointment, and had to cancel ourselves the day before as DH found out he had to work that day, (and I was already working that day). I called to cancel the appointment, and the tech. came on the phone and told me he didn't think that he knew how to install the starter on that vehicle anyway (2006 GMC truck - pretty common). I asked to speak to his manager. I explain my frustrations to the manager, and he told me to just bring the starter back, get a refund, and not buy another one, as that type of vehicle isn't easy to install a starter on. I asked him if the date on the receipt would matter when I returned it and he said no, just explain to customer service that you weren't able to have it installed. After hanging up the phone I wondered if they would have let DH drive 1.5 hours to get there and then tell him that they didn't know how to install it, if I hadn't have called to cancel? They took my full address and number when I originally made the appointment, so knew where we lived.

Sept 2008, DH happened to be working in the same town as the first Canadain Tire we had our experience with (Yarmouth, NS). He went to return the item, and was told where the product is over 90 days old, they will not give refunds. He would have had to find $75 worth of product in the store to return it for, right then & there (no gift certificates or anything). He ended up bringing the starter back home, as there isn't anything there that he/we needed. We are on a tight budget and $75 is a big deal to us.

The next week I called the second Canadian Tire that I had spoke to about returning the item (Bridgewater, NS). I spoke with the same manager who told me to return it. I explained what happened, and said we live 1.5 hours away, but could come to their location in the near future to return this and finally get our money back. He said he would leave a note for customer service, and it would be taken care of when we get there.

Sunday Oct. 19, I take the starter and receipt back to this store and customer service does not have a note. They looked in all of their notes as far back as last year - nothing. They had no idea what I was taking about, and since it was Sunday, that manager was not there. The lady at customer service would not take the item back becasuse it was over 90 days old. I explain what had happened, and she tried calling the Canadian Tire in Yarmouth, as she says it's their problem, but their manager in that store isn't in that day either. I argued with her, and told her how dissatisfied I was about their service. I told her that it wasn't our fault about the date. We want(ed) the item, and kept getting told to wait, and it would be installed once someone was able to. I told her I drove 1.5 hours to their location only for the reason I was told it could be returned & we could get our money back by the parts manager. After about 10 mins of this, she finally offered to take the starter back and we could get $75 worth of products. Again, after telling her that we need the $75, and don't have any product of theirs I need, we ended up walking out the door with the starter and receipt in hand.

I am lost as to what to do with this. I'm thinking about listing it for sale on online website's, but know that I will never get nearly what I paid. I need to keep it a week or so, and think if there is anything possible I could use from them. Our Christmas shopping is done, so that isn't an option either. DH wants to take the starter out and run it over for satisfaction, lol. As nice of a thought as that is right about now, that isn't an option.

I have vowed to myself to never buy anything from Canadian Tire again, if I can help it. It's been almost a year of being brushed off and lied to, and then to be told that the date has passed, so there is nothing they can do.

For anyone out there looking to buy a Canadian Tire car starter or any other large product - please check other locations first, as you do not want/need to get into a situation like this. I emailed Canadian Tire in June when we had to first dealing with the service dept. in Yarmouth to put in a formal compaint. They have never responded.

Canadian Tire Customer Service 0/5.
    Canadian Tire - minus 2 customers.
    Last edited by Nettie; Tue, Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:52 AM.
    Nettie
    Want to join SWAGBUCKS and earn gift cards? Click on my referral link! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nichandainc
    Visit my blog, to read about how I save money on everyday expenses!
    http://stuffthepiggybank.blogspot.com/

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Canadian Tire, Sault Ste. Marie, ON

Although, there has been negative feedback about Canadian Tire, I joined smartcanucks as I was so excited about my purchase that I had to tell others, and why not do it in this forum.
    This past Saturday (October 18), Canadian Tire had the first of two weekends of return your old air conditioner or dehumidifier for a $25 gift card. Knowing that I had two older dehumidifiers, I took them to the store to receive $50 worth of gift cards. There was absolutely no hassle, and it looked as if this promotion was going well for other customers too. They also had a programmable thermostat on sale regular $79.99 for $29.99 which was an investment that I had to make regardless.
    After all was said and done, at regular retail the entire package of goods I would have purchased would have been in excess of $130, however using the savings from the thermostat and the 2 - $25 gift cards my grand total was $18.05.
    This was an excellent experience that I had with Canadian Tire and I choose to do most of my shopping which includes detergent and toiletries at Canadian Tire, because something is always on sale at prices both lower than Wal-Mart and Zellers. Not to mention the Canadian Tire money.

Well, first post done.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Best just to avoid C Tire auto repair altogether. Read through the reports here (C tire has fared the worst every year they have done under cover auto repair scam investigation)
    http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=141

Warning though, reading through thsoe reports will make you jsut want to buy a new car rather then get anything repaired with the odds onbeing ripped off

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I don't mind our Ca Tire, but I try to only buy on sale. Everything else seems terribly over priced. What I do get peeved at is the lack of floor sales staff - similar to WalMArt. They're never around! Or understaffed....so when I have a question I have to HUNT one down. not fun. One time when I did get a hold of one, he was about 17, but more helpful than most sales people I've come across. I wanted a rain check, he ckecked on it, no rain checks on that item (stupid me, it said that right in the flyer) and then he proceeded to tell me that honestly the item wasn't that great anyway. I was like, thanks man, you just saved me a pile of $$$! The item was a bike, $350 ON SALE, so I would have wasted a lot of cash on it. I asked hinm a few more questions about it and he answered honestly, based on his experience with that bike.
    A plus is that most of the time the cashiers are very friendly. I haven't used any coupons there, I usually just price match for the coupon stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information