User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trading Score
    68 (97%)

I've embraced social media whole heartedly! Its a super fast way to get the word out about a company/product/service. Smart Canucks proves that point every single time a limited time offer comes up! This site alone generates huge buzz for a product!

For example- The upcoming Kinder Surprise coupon giveaway? Their Facebook page jumped by well over 1000 fans within hours of the word being posted on here. I knew about it 5 days before it was posted here, so I know where the numbers were at.

I guess it just comes down to how bad you 'really' want that freebie/coupon/promo. You sign up for save.ca/brandsampler/brandsaver without batting an eye. So whats the issue with creating a free account on facebook that allows you to request all of these wonderful freebies? The companies already have your info if you request coupons.

My beef is with regional coupons. If the product is available nation wide then the coupon should be accepted! (with the exception of course of being in a different language or toonies for tummies or whatever the heck the slogan is this year!)
    Last edited by missbobloblaw; Tue, Aug 23rd, 2011 at 10:07 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by juniperjune View Post
    I personally will never open a twitter account. I am over the age of 25, have no time to tell the World step by step how my pasta is cooking, takes, etc.. I have a life and I do not think I am all important.
    That being said, Companie are free to market any way they want. When they use Twitter or Facebook, they are targeting a specific segment of the population. Freebies are offered to people in the hopes to get people to purchase their products. They are free to market it any way they want.
    And in return you are free to advise them that you will not get their free offer as you do not use Twitter or Facebook.
    You don't need to tell the world about every little thing you do on twitter. That's not what it's for. I have a twitter account, and never make posts or connect to any of my friends. I just "follow" the people I'm interested in hearing from, like NASA, Phil Plait, Adam Savage, my favourite bands, artists, and podcasts. It's especially great for getting to see new pictures and doodles from my favourite graphic artists that wouldn't otherwise get posted anywhere, and being informed of updates to their sites.

Twitter is fantastic for gathering up all the people and organizations you're interested in hearing from, and putting them on one page that you can check at your leisure. Facebook is practically useless for keeping up with these things, since there's so much uninteresting crap clogging up your "wall", like farmville posts and song lyrics and pictures of people you barely know getting drunk at parties.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Same, I read tweets but rarely post on mine
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I just refuse to do offers that are like "you must like us on facebook, friend us on twitter, then retweet this statement, then go post on your facebook this message, then friend 10 other people to be entered to win" yeah not going to happen...I refuse to spam my friends for a freebie or chance to win anything. If I don't have to jump through a million hoops to do it I will like the page, fill out the form and then promptly unlike and delete any and all advertisements or spamming that they automatically post on your wall for friends to see...not filling my personal profile with spam from companies and so far have received everything I have filled out for.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    72 (100%)

I do have Facebook and I do "like" companies if they are giving out freebies and/or coupons. I do allow these companies to post to my account mostly because many of my friends watch my account for any possible freebies that they can pick up also.
    However, recently I've begun to "unlike" a company if I feel they have let me down or misled me. For example: the Triscuit coupons, when I was finally able to print them they were for US only. So I posted a comment stating this on their wall and stating that I especially don't like to waste all my ink to print useless coupons. These companies know very well that they are reaching people from many different countries and should be more forthcoming about the restrictions to their offers long before any ink or paper has been wasted. Whenever this happens I immediately "unlike" them.
    Just my own opinion.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I'm gonna have to say I disagree with this. Facebook doesn't need to be a sorce of information about yourself that can be used for identity theft. No one actually verifies the information you put on there. You can change your name and data at any time. My friends name was "Ilovetacos". Good luck trying to steal her identity with that.
    It's a great way for companies to reach people, and considering how much money they are saving by not placing adds in papers and magazines, they are probably able to give out even more freebies to the public.

If you are not benefitting from this because you have issues with facebook it's on you. There are very simple and obvious ways to use this site to your advantage with absolutely no potential harm to yourself.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think facebook is a great way to get coupons out. Its easy to like them. I havent seen any offers on twitter. I do have a twitter account because I like to see what celebrities are doing and I like to tweet about my day (@Haley_loyal) lol. Facebook is as easy as smartcanucks.ca. Personally I like not having to go through papers and magazines hoping to find something. Just my thoughts.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Everyone has made some really valuable points regarding the costs of print ads vs. facebook. Perhaps newspapers and magazines are too prohibitive and don't reach as wide of an audience. Points well made.

Having said that, it costs nothing for companies to place the exact same entry forms for a promotion on their corporate website (in addition to Facebook and Twitter etc.). This how we all accessed promotions before social networking and we are seeing it disappear. This method reaches both camps and allows many more consumers have an opportunity to participate.

Corporations can market however they want, to whomever they want, but it isn't the wisest business decision to exclude any group in favour of another. In business, if you want to get to the top, you "target market" only, but if you want to stay at the top, need to make everyone feel included, welcome and loyal.

I appreciate the advice with regard to opening an account just for promotions and using a fake name. I did not know you could do that. Perhaps others weren't aware of that either. It's something to consider.

This has been an interesting and informative discussion. Thanks OP.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I remember when 'online' coupons and offers first started. Many people did not have access to computers or internet ---and many telephoned or mailed thier complaints to the companies they thought were being unfair. At the time, I remember one company rep. telling my (non computer user) Mom that she needed to get 'updated' to new world standards! I guess some companies have just found a different way to make some of their customers feel left out!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Personally I am all for facebook campaigns, as many others have said in this thread you do not have to use your personal information when setting up the account on FB.
    If people do not feel comfortable using it, then it's their own fault that they do not get to participate, the account is free to sign up for.
    FB is a great way for companies to reach a lot of people

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just receive a 20$ GC from Future Shop (along with many samples or coupons), and that is enough for me to embrace Facebook freebies

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

thank'S everyone for your comments, very interesting and instructive
    Each one shared their opinions and even with differents POV, this was a good exchange
    i really appreciate to know how you deal with SN
    Thank you again

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I understand your concern, and it can get annoying to keep logging into facebook. The best thing to do would be to make a "fake" facebook account just for these offers.
    Wanna get paid giftcards and Paypal cash? Join Swagbucks right now!
    Don't you want free giftcards, prizes and money just for clicking?
    I've earned $180! Join Superpoints today

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

As a business owner, and a couponer I have to say I love facebook, twitter, and other social marketing sites.

As a Business Owner:
    - facebook pages, twitter, etc = FREE
    - I can reach 1000's of people with no cost other than the time it takes me to do up the add.
    - Other businesses I work hand in hand with also help to promote my sales/deals.
    **If you "like" my facebook page (or any page for that matter) the owner of that page can't see anything other than your Name. The page owner can't see all your pictures, info etc unless you are also a friend of the page owner. With Twitter you can "lock" your account so the only people that can see your tweets info ect are those that you have approved to follow you.**

Paper advertising costs big bucks nowadays, because of the fact that social media is so huge. As a business owner to send out 10% off coupons via newspaper would cost me 1000's of dollars each month, yet doing it via social media cost 0$. This allows me to give more deals more often. IF I had to do the old paper versions of discounts I wouldn't be in a position to give as many discounts out.

Not everyone embraces social media, nor is it for everyone, however keep in mind those that live in the bush, don't live in big cities were local papers give out coupons, or can't just walk down to the corner store and pick up a newspaper. Some people have to drive up to an hour if not more if they want a copy of the newspaper the cost of fuel in that drive (unless a pre planned shopping day) defeats the purpose of getting the paper, especially when you drive in to find all the inserts missing from the papers. (Yes I used to be a bush wacker myself)

Printable coupons, facebook, twitter, etc all make it more readily available to the masses, and also keep the fees low for the companies giving out the discounts, allowing them to do more discounts, more often.

My $0.02

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree! I have a Facebook account, but I don't like "liking" companies just to get freebies and then getting spam/clutter on my facebook. I think I might just make another account just for freebies like some of you have done!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information