User Tag List

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

So, are the stores all closing for a week or something rather than just one day?

I went out to pick up a couple of things, taking advantage of the fact that we have a rental car this weekend. For me, it's a treat to drive to a store and not have to time my shopping to the transit schedule and drag it all home stuff on the bus.

Anyhow, I picked up a couple little things at Bulk Barn, something for DS at the dollar store, no problem, then on to Costco. OMG, it was an absolute zoo, I took one look and walked right out. Similar conditions at Superstore, not quite as bad but bad enough. I waited for about ten minutes in line before dropping my stuff and leaving. Nothing I needed that badly or can't live without until Tuesday.
    This thread is currently associated with: Bulk Barn, Costco, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've noticed that lately also.. people are psycho about the stores being closed for one whole day.. unless I'm desperate for something, I stay away.. or I send dh lol

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Gee, the bigger stores are open Monday here - the malls, grocery stores, drugstores, big box stores - just on holiday hours. Oh, I just checked, WalMart has its regular hours anyway, 7 - 11.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

None of our stores even close, none of the biggies like wallly and the grocery stores.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

It wasn't that long ago that most retailers were closed on Sundays here, so we still get most things closed on Labour Day. I don't think there's a thing wrong with that, folks in retail deserver a holiday too!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I agree, Zonny! I wish stores were closed holidays!

When I was growing up in a small city, stores were closed Sunday and Wednesday. Then they started opening Wednesday, and years later Sunday opening began happening. I still remember what a huge deal it was when stores began opening Thursday evenings!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Yes, years ago I used to work for IGA here. Back then, there were a couple of days a week when they were only open until 5:30 or something like that, and Saturday evenings were also early closing nights. Now both the Sobeys and Superstore closest to me are open 24 hours, although the Superstore does close between midnight and 8 or something on Sundays. Sobeys just recently started staying open 24 hours including Sundays.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I can't stand to go in the stores on the long weekends! The shelves are cleared and the line ups are long! Although I love the convience of Sunday shopping, part of me wishes stores would go back to being closed on Sundays.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Im in a "touristy" area so they stay open. Only time they close is Christmas, Good Friday and maybe new years day.

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I was in costco on tuesday afternoon and it was absolute mayhem -I almost had a panick attack and had to get outta there! I can't imagine the weekends. I always shop early in the morning to avoid the crowds, cuz after 10:30 it's seems to be nuts everywhere!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I know! The stores are always a zoo before a one day holiday, and Mondays are quiet for most stores anyway lol
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Zonny, I think the long lines are a combination of two things.
    People are shopping for back to work and back to school last minute.
    Some of the staff get "sick" on long holiday weekends, especially when the weather is nice.

Thread Information