User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

She probably had a 'status' card. I believe they do not pay tax with a status card so not sure why she couldn't have used a coupon!
    Check out my Trade/Wish List here:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/273700-...-lists-canada/

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Alee142010 View Post
    . The cashier saw the coupon and said "Sorry, but you have to choose between the $0.50 coupon or using your native card - (I'm not really sure what the card is, but it is something you show when you are of native ancestry I believe?) But I didn't have any good argument on behalf of her because of my not knowing whether this was true or not? I asked the cashier to call her supervisor to check, she did and apparently the supervisor said the same thing? Anyway, I left the store feeling really sad for her..
    I am sorry to hear about that story.
    Both the cashier and supervisor are incorrect.
    The coupon and First Nations discount card are separate and should not limit one or the other. The Federal government authorized the discount. The manufacturer authorized the coupon.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Alee142010 View Post
    Just so you know where to look for Nexxus travel size is always in the shampoo isle not the travel size area because they are still pretty expensive if you don't have coupons - $2 shampoo and $3 conditioner.. -

Yes, I often get the feeling that cashiers think I'm on welfare or something too (of course there would be nothing wrong with that) but I'm not. So its a bit annoying.. But the worst couponing experience for me was when I noticed this lady in front of me was buying something I had a coupon for and so I gave it to her, she was really happy.. The cashier saw the coupon and said "Sorry, but you have to choose between the $0.50 coupon or using your native card - (I'm not really sure what the card is, but it is something you show when you are of native ancestry I believe?) But I didn't have any good argument on behalf of her because of my not knowing whether this was true or not? I asked the cashier to call her supervisor to check, she did and apparently the supervisor said the same thing? Anyway, I left the store feeling really sad for her..

I use to work in retail in Thunder Bay which the population is over 51% aboriginals. I would get irritated when that card was used.
    I don't know the rules 100% but a worker from Sears in the furniture dept told me if you want to use the status card you have to live on the reserve. When it would be time to deliver they would not live on the reserve. I had issues with aboriginals abusing the card. Under the age of 18 no picture ID is required. I had teens use the card and then give it to there friend which I refused to accept. I also had a lady give me an expired card which I refused. She said to me, I'm still Native and I said, there is an expire date for a reason, do you drive with an expired license?
    Generally when I refused the card, no purchase took place.
    I can see how some might get frustrated as perhaps they feel some are abusing the system with coupons? I have nothing against the status card, but over time I became more and more irritated with the abuse I was seeing with it.
    So times I feel the cashier feels how I felt back in the day. It's a theory I have

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hi momofun,

Don't let your fellow co-worker get you down. This would make a perfect opportunity to raise with your store manager about necessary training that goes with coupon useage and how to be tactful/sensitive to people. Some people coupon to save a few bucks and for others it's a necessity to get by. Sad that most people don't realize this.
    Now working on Christmas 2012 through SwagBucks.
    Earning free gift cards! ___________________________________
    Every Penny Counts : I welcome you to read my blog on my finds, deals, sales, coupons, freebies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information