User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    CaToonie
    Trading Score
    26 (100%)

hi! does anyone know the law on taking recycling inside the bin on recycle day in Toronto or number to call to talk to about the law? For example is it illegal to take recycles if it's in the curb on recycling day?

TYIA & have great day!
    Last edited by yvon; Fri, Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In the city where I lived before, when the garbage truck came to a multi-dwelling place, I would watch the garbage truck staff throw the easily visible booze cans and bottles, cases of empties... into the cab of the truck. I have heard from someone who works in that job that some of the staff make enough money for trips or nice contributions to kids college funds. Where I live, the groundskeeper collects them.

I haven't done it in a few years but back then I collected cambell's soup labels for schools, and empties (raised about 800$ toward the purchase of an elevator to make a church accessible to people living with disabilities). I never benefited personally but if I was starving, I'd do it. I only collected in multi-dwelling unit bins and public spaces (polluted nature trails, alleys and parks, especially early saturday or sunday morning after overnight partying was over).

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

One lady from my neighbour said that checking other's recycling bins = stealing other's property. She said that's why she started using blue recycling bags to replace the bins.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Flamemoo View Post
    One lady from my neighbour said that checking other's recycling bins = stealing other's property. She said that's why she started using blue recycling bags to replace the bins.

i can see if they make a big mess but a guy that wasnt all there used to collect cans and bottles and never made a mess and noone cared. But you will always get a % of people who nitpick at everything people do and at all costs avoid them all they want is trouble. If you take a cut out coupon that cardboard is prob worth 1/1000 of a penny if that .

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    26 (100%)

My baby and I went for a walk today around the block (don't really know my neighborhood) surprisingly it's recycling day(different schedule from our's). WOW! 2 blocks down I noticed 3 bags of stuff animals left behind for collection (guess the lady didn't know you can't put recycle stuff animals through blue bins) all the bins been collected. I took a peek then notice a lady with her 2 kids running to there house from school I guess. I asked the lady if it's ok to take the bags she said "take what you would like." what a coincidence. This inspired me to do something for the community. Am planning to go back there hopefully tomorrow and bring the toys to charity hopefully it's still there. I used to live in apartment building where there's no recycling and green bins only garbage bin. I wasn't aware of what I throw out as long it in the garbage until I moved. Now am becoming more and more environmentally friendly. I still have lots to learn. I always wanted to do something good for the community but don't know what maybe this could be it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

Sad that there is no green bins only garbage . Great start to helping out in the community. Usually when you do one thing it rolls to another good thing .

Quote Originally Posted by yvon View Post
    My baby and I went for a walk today around the block (don't really know my neighborhood) surprisingly it's recycling day(different schedule from our's). WOW! 2 blocks down I noticed 3 bags of stuff animals left behind for collection (guess the lady didn't know you can't put recycle stuff animals through blue bins) all the bins been collected. I took a peek then notice a lady with her 2 kids running to there house from school I guess. I asked the lady if it's ok to take the bags she said "take what you would like." what a coincidence. This inspired me to do something for the community. Am planning to go back there hopefully tomorrow and bring the toys to charity hopefully it's still there. I used to live in apartment building where there's no recycling and green bins only garbage bin. I wasn't aware of what I throw out as long it in the garbage until I moved. Now am becoming more and more environmentally friendly. I still have lots to learn. I always wanted to do something good for the community but don't know what maybe this could be it.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Where I live, we have giant bins that the whole city dumps cardboard, newspapers, etc in so its a one stop shop as there is no curbside recycling. Last time I found a cereal box for the beach towel, Kelloggs for the MIR, couple icoke lids, and I also found a huge gardening book someone thew away. It's addicting!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

For the record, the federal law states that when people take their recycling to the curb, it becomes public property, no longer personal property, and is not considered stealing. Let the whiners whine, ignore it because they're just jealous being too lazy (or self-conscious) to go for it and get a good deal.

And, I might add, I haven't gotten the nerve up to do a recycle walk myself, but I commend those with the ability.
    Last edited by Imasmartcanuck; Sun, Oct 16th, 2011 at 02:18 PM.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

There are bylaws in some cities and towns against scavenging so it`s always good to look those up and know what`s what.
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Great Thread even just for peeps who don't know what to look for when looking for extra bang for their buck at the grocery store.. even better for those of us who surf the blue wave
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Mochi
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

there was an article in the paper a few years ago about a man living in my area that lived off almost no money. he took everything he needed from recycling bins and the trash. he made most of what he needed from found trash. i thought it was pretty cool and have now been into the d.i.y things since then. ive learned to knit, learning to crochet, and im great at crafts
    ~~Mochi monster, coupon stealer since June 2011~~

Join Swagbucks, or add me MeganMidd. Collect points to get cool stuff or money!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/MeganMidd

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    597 (100%)

I went on a recycle bin walk this morning and bc I do them frequently, I have discovered where to get most things so I am not wasting a lot of time. In Ottawa it is plastic week and within 1/2 hr I managed to get 41 icoke pins. Not bad eh? Paper weeks seem to take longer but I find that they aren't usually the same each time.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    442 (100%)

great for you army girl 29, it really pays off

Senior Canuck Goddess in this Household's Avatar
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

In defense of AKE, she is absolutely correct where it pertains to the City of Calgary. It is illegal in Calgary to scavenge through the recycling bins (see page 6, article 4.1):

http://www.calgary.ca/CA/City-Clerks...eRecycling.pdf

(Yes, I'm a stickler for written proof rather than hearsay! LOL)

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    47 (100%)

I just did my first walk with my son who is home today and I don't think we did too bad ...

8 Icoke pins
    2 mc donalds monopoly tabs
    2 wine bottles
    10 beer cans
    7 smart source inserts
    and the big one
    2 $5.00 gas cards !!!! WOOHOO

Question for those who do the walks....do you really root thur the boxes or just look for things on top??

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information