User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    caper70
    My son, who is in grade 5, isn't passing anything so far this year. The social studies he brought home the other day has him studying for a test and there are over 25 sample questions. Some of them are asking him to know the steps that an immigrant must go through to get into Canada. He needs to know the Prime Minister's jobs. He needs to be able to list all the parties. There is no way my son can remember Bloc Quebecois, New Democratic Party, Liberal Party, etc. He needs to tell what is the job of the official opposition, what is the job of the senate, what is the constitution, what is a refugee... the list goes on. Most adults would fail this test!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

bcteagirl
    I actually think that is really fabulous!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That does sound hard for grade 5! I know that I didn't learn about some of that stuff until high school.

caper70
    It's not fabulous, it's ridiculous. You can try and teach a one year to say their abc's but if they aren't learning it, what's the point? The majority of the class is failing!!! The last test, only 5 students passed it. I didn't learn this stuff until high school either.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Could it be that they are trying a new curriculum to push the limits of learning? It does sound tough to me, but then I learned things in school at a younger age than MY parents did. Maybe the pace of learning has sped up to try and keep up with society's demands?

In some ways, trying to teach harder things is better than the opposite. In Quebec, the high school dropout rate is around 50%. So the government's brilliant proposed solution is - lower the requirements needed so that more people pass.

It is possible that the school board has aimed higher than the teaching staff have been equipped to handle. Maybe there is a way to give them feedback to better equip the teachers who are passing on the material to the kids?

I am a young parent so haven't had the school experience with my kids yet. The teachers around the forum could weigh in on this.

bug
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This sounds like standard stuff for the kids in my area, but haven't heard of anybody failing.

I don't think using 'most adults would fail this test' is a good marker of what is or is not appropriate for school. To be quite honest, aside from math and reading, I'd probably do poorly on everything else. Some adults still do not know the main political parties in Canada.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

only grade 5?!!!!!!!!?
    i did that in grade 3!
    well that's unfair.
    but i actually didnt do too bad in that class. i like politics because im what you call a nerdddd

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We learned political stuff in grade 4. We even had a little fake election. I don't remember getting so in depth about EVERYTHING though. We learned the different parties, and how they are elected. That kind of stuff.

JD97
    It does seem to be a bit much!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

my teacher was pretty hardcore though. we even had an electorial debate....and i was 7 :s

bcteagirl
    Quote Originally Posted by cara.likes.skittles View Post

only grade 5?!!!!!!!!?
    i did that in grade 3!
    well that's unfair.
    but i actually didnt do too bad in that class. i like politics because im what you call a nerdddd

LOL! I was thinking my brother did about the same stuff in Gr. 5 actually....

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

It seems to me school boards/schools/teachers can't win for trying....if the curriculum is too easy....they get flack because the children are underachieving...if it is too tough, they get flack because the children can't handle it...children need to be challenged intellectually....they will rise to it....what are your expectations for Grade 5??? what do you think they should be learning????

You think the curriculum is too tough, I bet you could find parents in the school who think it is too easy, while there are others who think it is just right....

baggypants

bcteagirl
    All good points baggy!

caper70
    Yes, but how many parents would actually complain the curriculum is too easy? I bet that there would be a hell of a lot more parents complaining it's too hard!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I do remember having to learn all that stuff in grade 5, and holding a fake in school election.
    That year I was the NDP and they actually won hehe. We collected newspaper clippings every day about the elections and the parties, talked about the jobs of all the leaders and it was actually quite fun to learn. I had a great teacher that year though.

But, I do have to point out that quite often its also the way the teacher teaches, and wether there a good teacher or not.

Last year I swear my son learned nothing all year. I loathed his teacher, she was terrible and had no interest in teaching kids that werent her favorites. She was rude, had no teaching methods, called my kid an idiot on several occasions (nice eh)

This year its like night and day. He is doing very well and has learned more since sept then he did in a whole school year with that other bimbo.

Have you had a meeting with the teacher yet?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information