User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Not sure where to post this. Prior to our blockbuster store closing we checked our account balance and paid off all of the late fees on it. Today I received a letter in the mail from Credit Bureau Services Canada saying that I had an outstanding balance of $160.41 that I still owed to Blockbuster. I tried calling them, but just got a voicemail to leave my info for them to call me back. I don't want to risk affecting my credit history over this of course, but don't know how to figure out where that balance came from.

Any advice?
    This thread is currently associated with: Blockbuster

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Do you have proof of payment (receipt) for the outstanding balance at Blockbuster? Depending on how close it was to the Blockbuster closing perhaps the accounts were already sent to collection before you paid? I'm not so familiar with this, but I'd start with proving you paid. Maybe even with a credit card statement of bank statement if you paid either of those ways.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I don't have a receipt unfortunately (i do have my bank statement though...would have been an interac payment) , however, the balance that i had left on my account that i paid was around 40 dollars, and they are saying my outstanding balance is around 160.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i just got a bill from the credit beureu for blockbuster too for $60.00..... WTF!!! no one ever told me i owed any late fees or anything, and i returned all my movies...... what do i do? they only give u 10 days to pay it off..... the owner of blockbuster is getting an email from me thats for sure

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

When you try calling them you only get a voice mail. They called back and left me a message today while i was at work, so i called back, only got a voice mail again.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

See if you can get in touch with the receiver handling the Blockbuster liquidation and verify the balance. It'd be a risk to pay the bureau because you don't know if any payment made would be shared/or notification sent to the receiver.

I once paid a demand notice for a collector in relation to a closed business-amount owing due to a delivery made just prior to closure. Boy, did I get reamed out at work for responding to that letter. Best to do your own research and clear things up.

Also, research the agency that contacted you-any BBB complaints? Is the business legitimate and registered in your province? Any contact names you can determine?
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Grant Thornton Ltd. is the court-ordered receiver for the Blockbuster chain. http://www.thestar.com/business/comp...ose-140-stores

http://www.grantthornton.ca/services/reorg/bankruptcy_and_insolvency/Blockbuster

http://www.grantthornton.ca/resources/creditor_updates/documents/Blockbuster%20Canada%20Co/Motion%20Record%20of%20Receiver%20returnable%20Nov .%207,%202011.PDF Item (s) -dealt with the third party service provider that manages the Company's receivables due from retail customers.
    (No company name for that service provider is given-page 27 of 673 of the pdf).

Company records have been given to a third party document storage facility. Guess that means if you have your own personal documentation of amounts owed and amounts paid, that is your best documentation in responding to the collection agency claims (make copies to send to the agency and keep originals for your records).

https://www.cbscanada.com/contact_us.aspx
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Nov 5th, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

My husband was home today when they called back returning my voice mail message. He explained that we had paid off the account, and he had no idea where $160 came from. They said they'd wipe it... I'm hoping I don't get any more letters from them in the future.

Say no to Cyber Bullying
    Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I may have an answer for you. But first you need to understand this. Its Disgusting, unfortunately you are going to see WAYYYY more of this because the big corporations KNOW that the economy will collapse. If you understand how the monetary system truly works, you will see the benefit they feel of doing this to people.
    Think about this, if Blockbuster is bankrupt it disolves their debt. So why does a company still try to take on their debt and sue you for more debt and put you in the position of defending yoruself? Because they make money at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So here is what I need to know. Is the name on the bill you received all in uppercase letters? Please let me know, I have a solution.
    START THE CAR....START THE CAR!!!!!

Say no to Cyber Bullying
    Trading Score
    42 (100%)

You need to use the formula for admiralty law which is the HIGHEST in the world. Stronger than in court. Lawyers are owned by the banks which also owns the courts, so they won't give you this truth. The truth is, all corporations use this daily all over the world and it DOES hold up in court if you also use it. So using this formula should make them go away. Any bills you receive all in uppercase letters are actually a corporation that has been made up in your name for you when you were born but its not you (yes it is true). I know this will lead to more questions but I am telling you the truth. I have SEEN people win in court with this. So we send them a letter back using their own method that they recognize and put THEM in the position of defending themselves. If they can't provide this information you request which they can't because it doesn't exist, it will not go to court and it HAS to be dropped. I have done this, it works.

Say no to Cyber Bullying
    Trading Score
    42 (100%)

This is part 3: Oh and one more thing. I know I am leaving alot of details out, too much writing. But we put a fee schedule of our own on there, If they don't comply, you submit that yourself to Better Business Bereau and the credit bereau and if they want to push it, with the procedure you can use, they don't want to mess with you or it costs them money. It's mostly to keep them from trying to scam you which is exactly what they are doing. Just becuase it may be a legitimate business does not mean they have ethics and aren't trying to extort people. Its all collapsing and they know it, they are all trying to get every dime off everyone before it does. You will see MUCH more of this.
    Last edited by taxsavey; Mon, Nov 28th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I too received a notice that I owe Blockbuster almost $60. I do not owe them anything in fact I do think they owe me money for the Gift Cards that they would not honor. I was not aware of them closing or giving a date to use the cards by. Then when they were closing they said they were no good. I phoned a number they give you and left a message but no reply. I did buy some popcorn when they were closing and they never said anything about any fees owed. I would not buy anything else because I was so mad about the gift cards. Are you suggesting I send them a letter saying they owe me and giving them a time limit to pay as they have done to me? Oh and yes the name is all in upper case. I would like to know exactly what they say I owe them for. I don't want to acknowledge the letter to them until I know exactly what grounds they have.

Say no to Cyber Bullying
    Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxsimba View Post
    I too received a notice that I owe Blockbuster almost $60. I do not owe them anything in fact I do think they owe me money for the Gift Cards that they would not honor. I was not aware of them closing or giving a date to use the cards by. Then when they were closing they said they were no good. I phoned a number they give you and left a message but no reply. I did buy some popcorn when they were closing and they never said anything about any fees owed. I would not buy anything else because I was so mad about the gift cards. Are you suggesting I send them a letter saying they owe me and giving them a time limit to pay as they have done to me? Oh and yes the name is all in upper case. I would like to know exactly what they say I owe them for. I don't want to acknowledge the letter to them until I know exactly what grounds they have.
    Yes. It puts THEM in the position of HAVING to produce proof. That is what they have done to you, putting you in a difficult position. They hope that most people will pay it. Think how rich they get doing that. They are bankrupt which means their debt is paid. Now they want to make money at it. I have studied YEARS of this. Okay. So if the name is all in uppercase.That is NOT you, its a corporation that was taken out under your name. They are using ADMIRALTY (commercial law) on you. So you need to do the same. You need to request ABSOLUTE proof FROM THEM with lots of back up that you did this transaction. Give them 10 days to respond. (thats weekends included). If you hear from them and they sound threatending its a bluff. The key is if they don't provide the information requested according to Admiralty law THEY are using too, then its void. If you don't hear from them, thats even better. The point isn't what they say, its if they provide the proof. But you MUST do one more automatic letter after 10 days and then another automatic after 10 days again. But as SOON as that third letter is sent, that is considered LAWFUL judgement. This can be provided to any credit collector as proof on your behalf. Things to keep in mind, is that it needs to be registered letters to prove they were sent. Also it needs to be in capitals. I would also put a charge fee for any unlawful accusation of theft from that letter on forward in any form of contact, mail, registered, phone calls etc. Eg 1x = $2000. fee. 2x =$25,000. fee. and 3 x =$100,000. fee. Its charging them for your time. Remember, this may seem foreign to you, but its the highest most stable upheld laws in the commercial world and they INCLUDE you. They make money off doing this. That I am sure leads to more questions. But anyway. That is what you want to do.It also MUST BE SENT to the CEO's name (lower case) but to BLOCKBUSTER. and the proper address of the CEO's office. or in this case whoever is sending you this. buggers. this is a huge scam. The financial world IS collapsing, this is highway robbery to get money from people. Thats predetorial. Hold your head high and don't let them bully you. Let me know if you need help.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@ TAXSAVEY. Thank you for very informative guidance on this Blockbuster scam.

Say no to Cyber Bullying
    Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Hey no problem. Let me know if you need help. If you do it, I can help you make sure the wording is correct etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information