User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Value Village- Yet another reason to NOT shop there!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree, the prices have gotten to be ridiculous. I used to get more there when my children were little. It's funny when they want almost as much for used items as you can buy (on-sale) new.

The Salvation Army thrift stores have increased their prices too, but at least you know the money is going towards a charity that does good things, rather than to line a private company owner's already fat pockets.

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I agree with the person who said just go to Winners. On a good sale day, you'll get new clothes for the same price VV wants to sell used ones.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I found the children's clothing to be very expensive, worn and dirty. I can often times find the same pricing at Walmart.
    For my husband's work jeans and jacket, I liked their proces at VV
    And the children's book, $1 each, and 1 free after you buy 4 can't be beat!
    The Kawarthan likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I really think it depends on the VV. And what you are looking for. The one near my church is great! I have had nothing but great luck there. But I am picky. As I sew- I get great fabric pieces. My sons' pj's for the last two years have all been made from cotton knits I have bought there. I once bought 4 meters of cobalt blue wool crepe for $4.00. I am still deciding on what to do with it .

But the one near me, well it may be bigger- but it sucks. Lousy service, higher prices, and always crowded. I never shop that one, ever!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    I agree with the person who said just go to Winners. On a good sale day, you'll get new clothes for the same price VV wants to sell used ones.
    very true

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I do agree, sometimes it depends on the location. I live in Winnipeg and have shopped at at least 4 different VV's. Each one seems to have different pricing. I have just adopted the attitude of looking at something and if the price is good, I buy it and I don't even waste my time with stuff that isn't priced.

Krystal
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went to a VV store once and I saw a nice lululemon hoodie, so I grabbed it (for my little cousin who was coveting one for a long time but her mom couldnt afford) and the price tag on it (and the sweater was very obviously used) was....140$!!!! I was like....the heck is this? So I found a sale person and asked if it was maybe supposed to be like 14$? And she said no, that was the correct price because it was a special edition hoodie. I was seriously flabbergasted! They don't cost 140$ brand new!!

i agree with the other posters on Winners...new clothes, same price as VV and it doesnt smell weird in there
    The Kawarthan likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's true that some thing in Value Village are overpriced, but I've gotten a lot of reasonably priced, good quality things there, and it helps if you go on a 50% off day. Plus there's only two other thrift stores around here, and one of them is a Salvation Army, so not a lot of choice there.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree in that it depends on location. Some are eh while others continue to have really good bargains. I've scored a lot of practically brand new name brand stuff for my kids at a fraction of their in store cost.

For me, I just use my discretion. I treat any purchase there like I would at a garage sale. If I decide the amount asking is what I'm willing to pay, then I'll buy it. If not, it stays there. Mind you, you can't negotiate but you get the idea.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I don't know about clothes but sometimes even Goodwill stores have some good deals and prices on stuff like chairs, desks, paintings , books, shoes, show pieces, portraits, electronics etc.

I got a very nice office/computer chair over there for 20 bucks, it was in a very good shape and condition, the same exact chair was $ 99.99 at Staples

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I apologize VV - SOMETIMES you have good stuff.
    Just made a blog about the rotary phone that stole my ... well, part 1 anyways http://inmy30sanditstime.wordpress.c...my-heart-pt-1/

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

sigh they had H&M stuff priced like it's a designer brand at our Value Village $19.99 for an H&M dress that I could probably buy brand new for $10 on sale at H&M...
    I can't believe how expensive things are there...the whole reason I shop second hand is because it's supposed to be cheaper so I can justify spending the money! I can actually buy things cheaper at consignment stores than I can VV.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I just went to value village to look for sweaters I could reclaim the yarn from. I can't believe they want to sell a used wool sweater for $10-20 each. Sheesh, you can buy them at that price brand new. I won't be shopping at VV anymore.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

At this point I only shop for clothing, shoes and purses on their 50% off sale days. I've picked up American Eagle, Paracuso, and Joe Fresh jeans all for less than $10, found some brand new sketcher sandals for about $9, an older but in great condition Guess purse for $5 and my real splurge: a fake Louis Vuitton sling purse in brand new condition (still had some tags and plastic wrap on it!) for $25.

It all depends on location and luck! I used to work at VV (my first job in my high school) and loved it then. Not so much now lol. Never really had an issue with the staff (there have been a few times where my buggy/cart was lugged away while I was in the change rooms because it had little to few items and I do understand they want to keep the area around the changerooms clear on sale days but really doing it twice on the same visit lol?!)

Honestly I have had more issues with other customers being rude, greedy and grabby. But yes their prices have gone up and its usually not worth it, clothing wise, to go in on a regular day. I do like stopping in once a week if i can (there's one that's about 10 mins from my house using transit) to see the household things they have . . I love picking up "ethnic things" like sake sets, pseudo-african wood carvings, ceramics paintings, sometimes books (only if its something I've been searching awhile for, their books prices have gone up too!) . . . but only if the price is right :D

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I think it depends on the location....I go to two that are ok...but sometimes they can be expensive but sometimes it is ok. I bought my son's grad suit from one and it was $14.99. I got it dry cleaned $7 and it was perfect!! The cheapest one I found at stores was$98 and it looked like cotton!!! But in general yes it started about 5 yrs ago that they started getting more expensive. And I guess if people still buy it at that price they will still put the price at that!
    New mom October 2014!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information