User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Not me but my SIL got engaged Christmas Eve. They are planning a 2012 wedding (looks like late October) and it's part of my job to save them money wherever I can.

A Wedding section would be a great idea so we could share ideas, etc.
    My Trade List Saved $1993 in 2010..trying to beat that in 2011

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I would be so excited for a wedding section... I LOVE planning and looking at pretty/neat ideas. I got engaged back in February but we are waiting until I am finished my PhD this year before we get married (can't easily plan a (small) wedding and write a thesis easily) so sometime next year maybe. But I definitely agree about the section... it would be a great addition to SC.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by g_skywalker View Post
    I know I know, I will never convince brides that a wedding is a waste of money(sure didn't work with my wife, lol) but here are two hints:

1) you still have time to say no(lol), or if you insist on getting married
    2) Get married in clothes you already own, with a ceremony in your yard or house with no decorations, flowers or other wedding stuff and then have d'œuvre's for the guests that you got free via coupons. Then take all the money saved and put it towards something that is actually worthwhile like a house or kids education acct.

yours truly,
    man about to be attacked by all the ladies in here, lol.

(PS: I am a man who has been happily married for 11 years and got a deal on every single item in our wedding, got a 40k wedding for about 6k, even got our 2 week honeymoon in DR sort of free by planning to get married just before the end of the year, ie wrote wife off on taxes)
    LoL. I happen to be a woman and agree with you entirely. Hence why me and hubby are only common law for the moment. Soo much money for one day, I never saw the point. I dont really like being the center of attention either so.

That being said, I do like looking at wedding stuff, even if I wont be buying anytime soon, and giving ideas to family members who plan to get married soon wouldn't hurt me either.
    <3<3 My girls are my wold <3<3
    ALWAYS looking for Enfamil coupons good on Soy.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

i sorta agree with you too walker. my parents offered me money the night of our wedding rehearsal.. looking back.. i should have taken it and run..

alot of ppl 'elope' over seas.. and come back and have a huge party for their families.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Congratulations! I got married in July and our wedding cost $11Gs lower than average and we planned it all in 6 months. Our honeymoon cruise was 75% off! I'd be totally willing to give you guys tips and stuff, I even wrote a blog about wedding drama with families and how to save money (be prepared for price gouging. People will take advantage of you because it is a wedding and you are stuck paying for their exorbitant fees).
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Jan 3rd, 2012 at 05:54 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I got engaged in July... some of those dresses are beautiful.

We don't want to have anything fancy.. no wedding halls, fancy chairs, overpriced food... We were thinking of just applying for marriage license to make it legal in ON, then going down to New Orleans for our honeymoon and having our good friend marry us there. No rush.. although hubby was looking at marrying in 2012 since there are 4 Friday 13th days.. (we first started dating on a Friday 13th)

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

wanted to pass on the place where i found my dress, found the one i wanted in a store for 1500 plus, then went online and found identical dress for $470

www.ebridalsuperstore.com

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by g_skywalker View Post
    I know I know, I will never convince brides that a wedding is a waste of money(sure didn't work with my wife, lol) but here are two hints:

1) you still have time to say no(lol), or if you insist on getting married
    2) Get married in clothes you already own, with a ceremony in your yard or house with no decorations, flowers or other wedding stuff and then have d'œuvre's for the guests that you got free via coupons. Then take all the money saved and put it towards something that is actually worthwhile like a house or kids education acct.

yours truly,
    man about to be attacked by all the ladies in here, lol.

(PS: I am a man who has been happily married for 11 years and got a deal on every single item in our wedding, got a 40k wedding for about 6k, even got our 2 week honeymoon in DR sort of free by planning to get married just before the end of the year, ie wrote wife off on taxes)

I agree with your part on having it in the yard with family and a few friends there just small. Also a bbq would be good too very cheap and make a family member do it lol. This is the way i am going shortly kinda scray . I will be a ball and chain lol . I dont like formal things (no offence to people who do ) i just like my own ways .

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

there are OH so many cost saving or DIY ideas out there .... we are getting married this month and the budget is tiny and it's going to be splendid!!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

If you are in need of information about someone to perform a ceremony in Ontario - you have 2 references to call on for info.....Lynn49 and myself - we're both Licenced Wedding Officiants.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

I agree with G_skywalker! Save your money & elope & have a party after!!

BF & I have both been married & divorced....he is still paying off his ex-wife so no wedding plans here! But we are very happy together & thats the main thing!

MelissainOttawa
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

I'm getting married in 8 months on a $5,000 budget and will make it happen. Most of the biggies are booked including purchasing a $40 gown on Dinodirect LOL
    Its FREE sample month at well.ca. With every order over $30 you get free stuff. As always free shipping. Not only that, but if its your first order, use code "MBFA2012" and get $10 off $40 on your first order. www.well.ca is an online store similar to shoppers. It ships everything from diapers to cleaning products right to your door. Plus this coupon rocks!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

Love it! We just got engaged!!!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I want a wedding section too! I'm not engaged yet but I want to take extra time to plan! To expand it so it isn't just one topic (which often slows down and becomes inactive) we could make it wedding, party planning, celebrations, graduation parties, etc.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda83 View Post
    Love it! We just got engaged!!!
    Congrats!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information