User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Frittata - for 1 person

This is an easy thing to customize any way you want. when making it for one person, you might not end up with enough mixture to cook a proper frittata. mine end up more like scrambled eggs

I have been using the following veggies in varying amounts.

zucchini - diced
    onions - chopped fine
    spinach - chopped
    mushrooms - sliced

if you have bell pepper or fresh tomato on hand they would be yummy as well. personally i like the flavor of bell pepper but hate getting big chunks of it, so i usually chop it quite small. tomatoes might be best added with the seeds removed.

Ingredients

2-3 eggs
    small splash of milk or water
    about 1/2 cup of chopped veggies.
    cheese (optional) - little bit of grated cheddar, crumbled feta or any cheese of your choice
    salt
    pepper
    herbs - whatever you want, totally optional. try basil, cilantro, parsley etc.

Instructions

add a little bit of oil and onions to your frying pan, and saute until the onions soften a bit and start to become translucent. add the rest of the veggies and saute a little more until they are softened as well.

while sauteeing veggies, beat your eggs in a bowl with a splash of water or milk. add salt and pepper to your taste and any herbs if you choose to.

when the veggies are ready, add the beaten eggs to your pan, and start moving and mixing so that everything cooks evenly.

if i am using feta, i add it right when i add the eggs. if using cheddar i add it just before removing the eggs from the pan.

like i said before, because i only make this for me, i end up with a smaller amount of eggs that look more like scrambled eggs with veggies mixed in, instead of a proper frittata.

if you were making a proper frittata to feed more than one person, your pan would be full because of the larger amount of ingredients. i would get it to where everything is about 2/3 cooked on the stovetop, and finish it in the oven at about 375 deg F in an ovenproof pan.
    Last edited by anisa; Tue, Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

check out my blog for some healthy recipes! http://mypinkthumb.com

An oatmeal tip --> i make up at least one big pot of steel cut oats ahead of time that DH and i just take from during the week (it reheats very well!) .. my recipe:

3C water
    3C milk of choice
    1 3/4 steel cut oats
    2 bananas, mashed,
    4 heaping tsp of wheat germ (and/or ground flax if we have it)
    1tsp pure vanilla extract

- add liquids to a pot and bring to a boil
    - once it's boiling, whisk in your oats, banana and wheat germ
    - turn the heat down to low-med and whisk consistantly until cooked
    - stir in the vanilla at the end

it literally lasts all week in the fridge.

Some of my fav toppings incl:

- 2Tbsp pumpkin + pumpkin pie spice + raisins + cinnamon + walnuts

- 1 tsp peanut butter + cinnamon + frozen berries

- cinnamon + fresh/frozen berries

and a few splashes of milk because I like it runny.
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Wilted Spinach - for 1 person

I bought a big box of spinach, and then realized that i would have to eat a lot of spinach over the next week, in order to not waste what i bought!

i found that a very simple wilted spinach with garlic was actually really yummy (to me anyways!)

Ingredients

2 big handfuls of baby spinach - roughly chopped
    1 clove of garlic - minced
    1 tbsp olive oil
    salt
    pepper

Instructions

pour the olive oil into the middle of the pan, and place garlic in the oil.
    dump the spinach on top and let it sit there slowly heating over medium heat.
    add salt and pepper when you dump the spinach into the pan

i just dump everything into a cold pan and then turn the heat on. it gives the garlic some time to cook a little w/o burning.

when the spinach starts to wilt a bit, start turning the mixture and keep cooking and turning until the spinach is cooked though.

This was part of my dinner last night. i was pretty hungry. I had a can of president's choice mushroom barley soup (blue menu) and spinach on the side. i was surprisingly satisfied!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Lua, i love your toppings for oatmeal.
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

breakfast today was poached eggs on the PC ultra thin multigrain bagels. i love the bagels, they are tasty and super thin so you get a little bit of bread product w/o feeling like a glutton afterwards

on the side i sauteed a pile of veggies.

Ingredients

- about 1/8 of a cup chopped onion
    - part of a zucchini (a 2" long piece) - diced small
    - 3 LARGE mushrooms, sliced. the mushrooms were so big i first made 2 horizontal cuts, then sliced thin

Instructions

- on medium heat, Saute the onions until they start to soften
    - turn the heat up a little and add the zucchini and mushrooms. saute for another few minutes until the mushrooms aren't emitting water anymore. i like mine browned a little.

there was definitely a party in my tummy "so yummy, so yummy" lol
    R

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    Wilted Spinach - for 1 person

I bought a big box of spinach, and then realized that i would have to eat a lot of spinach over the next week, in order to not waste what i bought!

i found that a very simple wilted spinach with garlic was actually really yummy (to me anyways!)

Ingredients

2 big handfuls of baby spinach - roughly chopped
    1 clove of garlic - minced
    1 tbsp olive oil
    salt
    pepper

Instructions

pour the olive oil into the middle of the pan, and place garlic in the oil.
    dump the spinach on top and let it sit there slowly heating over medium heat.
    add salt and pepper when you dump the spinach into the pan

i just dump everything into a cold pan and then turn the heat on. it gives the garlic some time to cook a little w/o burning.

when the spinach starts to wilt a bit, start turning the mixture and keep cooking and turning until the spinach is cooked though.

This was part of my dinner last night. i was pretty hungry. I had a can of president's choice mushroom barley soup (blue menu) and spinach on the side. i was surprisingly satisfied!
    I throw a couple of handfuls of spinach into whatever I'm cooking, it wilts down to nothing.

I've also read that putting your broccoli into the oven with a bit of olive oil, garlic and Parmesan cheese is tasty, will be trying this soon (just got a giant thing of Parmesan at Costco!).

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I throw a couple of handfuls of spinach into whatever I'm cooking, it wilts down to nothing.

I've also read that putting your broccoli into the oven with a bit of olive oil, garlic and Parmesan cheese is tasty, will be trying this soon (just got a giant thing of Parmesan at Costco!).
    i would totally do that! hubby can't have spinach cause of kidney stones.
    i like that broccoli recipe too.
    R

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

A breakfast idea I read on Pinterest recently (yes, I'm an addict), is to get a muffin tin, spray with cooking spray. Put an egg into each muffin hole, put in the oven for about 20 minutes or until they're cooked. Get some English muffins, toast them in the oven too, add a slice of cheese. Let them cool, then wrap and freeze. Easy, low-fat breakfast you can grab on the way out, eat at work if you don't have time at home. Come to think of it, I could sprinkle a bit of spinach on these!

http://www.macheesmo.com/2010/03/breakfast-sandwiches/

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I am a snacker, and the past week i have been slipping.

plus after about 6 weeks of watching my diet very carefully, i weighed myself for the first time.
    I bought an awesome scale at SDM's mega redemption and had not used it once. the other day i was in the middle of cooking and had the sudden urge to weigh myself. i hadn't weighed myself in years!

well the number i saw really surprised me, and i am more determined now to keep on track.

here is a list of low carb snacks, which are nutritious.
    i have little willpower in the evenings, and maybe this will help.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/snacks.htm

• Celery with tuna salad
    • Celery with peanut butter
    • Hard boiled eggs
    • Deviled eggs
    • Dill pickles and cheddar cheese (no kidding, it's a great combo)
    • 1/4 cup berries with 1/3 cup cottage cheese
    • Nuts (keep raw ones in the freezer if you think you'll overeat them)
    • Sunflower seeds (get them in the shell so it will take longer to eat them)
    • Other seeds (How to Toast Pumpkin or Squash Seeds)
    • Low-Carb Trail Mix
    • Jerky (beef or turkey -- try to find low-sugar varieties)
    • Low-carb shakes
    • Cheese sticks, such as string cheese
    • Sugar-free Jello, alone or with cottage cheese and a sprinkling of nuts
    • Make sugar-free lime Jello with part coconut milk -- For a large package, dissolve the powder in a cup of boiling water, add a can of coconut milk, and then add the rest of the water. Stir well.
    • Pepperoni "chips" -- Zap the slices in the microwave
    • Cheese with a few apple slices
    • 4-ounce plain or sugar-free yogurt with berries and flax seed meal
    • Smoked salmon and cream cheese on cucumber slices
    • Lettuce Roll-ups -- Roll luncheon meat, egg salad, tuna or other filling and veggies in lettuce leaves
    • Lunch Meat Roll-ups -- Roll cheese or veggies in lunch meat (read the labels for carbs on the lunch meat)
    • Spread bean dip, spinach dip, or other low-carb dip or spread on the lunch meat or lettuce and then roll it up
    • Raw veggies and spinach dip, or other low-carb dip
    • Ricotta cheese with fruit and/or nuts and/or flax seed meal
    • Mushrooms with cheese spread inside (or other spreads or dips)
    R

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I just tried to roast cauliflower this week, I had seen it on tv and then someone else told me how amazing it makes the cauliflower taste so I gave it a shot and OMG! sooo good! basically you take head of cauliflower cut up into bite size pieces, line a baking sheet with foil and spray with pam. drizzle about 1 to 2 tbspns of olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste (I tried it with fresh garlic but liked the powdered better, it stuck to it) bake at 375 for about 20 to 30 minutes. The recipe I read also said you can season however you like, with curry powder, oregano, whatever, just dont over do the spice. The baking ramps up the cauliflower flavour and it is just soooo good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information