User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Hello all!

I will start by sharing that i have been stalking some ppl here on SC. Yes I am ashamed of my behaviour. I have been reading and following a lengthy thread, and have not contributed to it.

My life has been changed by it (well the past month or so!)

I had been following the weight watchers thread in the health forum and have been inspired to get my butt in gear about getting back to eating healthy foods.

I have been focusing on consuming minimal grains, more protein, more veggies, less milk. fruit is unchanged.

this was a long time coming. i used to work out, be slim, eat very healthy, and over the years i have gained and gained and gained and have lost touch with the healthy foods i used to really enjoy.

i have also incorporated VEGA`s Whole Food Health Optimizer, which is a powdered mix that is vegan, gluten and soy free that is full of vitamins, has fibre and protein. i am using it as a supplement to my healthy eating. i really enjoy it. the smell and taste are really nasty the first couple of times, but you get used to it.

i believe very much in consuming whole, less processed foods. i am the type of person who likes to cook from scratch anyways.

i hope there are others here who have similar goals and views who wouldn`t mind sharing their favorite go-to recipes.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

OMGoodness...i've been stalking that very same thread
    I feel such admiration for those ladies....and yes, i'm a tad jealous too

A blog i read (fatfreevegan) is encouraging a healthy start to the New Year:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/12...-new-year.html

I even started it, thinking i'll just try it for a day (what can i say, i didn't think i could give up bread, cheese and milk) so far i'm on Day 5 - haven't felt hungry and no cravings(fingers crossed it carries on).
    Having said that, dh wants to take me out to eat over the weekend so i may have to start all over again on Monday.
    And yes, i've lost a couple of pounds
    Not sure if i can keep this up long term but maybe a bit longer just to see what happens.....

Anyway, good luck - and no doubt i will stalk your thread now too
    Come on -Join me ! Get Points, get Free stuff

http://www.gifthulk.com/refer/kazm-l
    And if you need a link for Zoombucks or Irazoo ....let me know!!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I have used Dr. Andrew Weil`s website many times for reading about various topics. I have recently used 2 recipes from there which were nice.

Quinoa
    - i thought this recipe was nice because it wasn`t the typical south-western recipe i often see. i ate this the way you could eat rice.

Ingredients
    4 cups red quinoa (i used regular)
    1 cup yellow onion, diced
    1 cup celery, diced
    8 cups water
    2 tablespoons salt (or to taste)
    3 sprigs fresh oregano

Instructions

Sauté onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
    Add quinoa and water. Cover and boil on medium heat for about 25 minutes until cooked and fluffy.

Curried Cauliflower soup
    I have no frigging idea what hot curry powder and sweet curry powder are, and i`m south asian! i just put in a mix of spices that probably added up to about a tablespoon. i put in ground coriander seed, garam masala, tiny bit of turmeric (the yellow stuff that stains everything) salt, black pepper, ground red pepper. garam masala is just a mix or `warm` earthy spices (black pepper, cumin, black cardamom, cinnamon, cloves)
    i also threw in a very small potato because i felt like it, but it really isn`t needed.

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil
    1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
    1 tablespoon hot curry powder
    1 tablespoon sweet curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    Kosher salt
    1 large head cauliflower, separated into florets
    4 – 6 cups vegetable stock
    3/4 cup cashews
    3/4 cup water
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar
    1 cup cilantro sprigs, chopped

1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent. Add the curry powders, turmeric, and salt to taste. Cook for 1 minute. Add the cauliflower and stir to mix well. Add enough stock to cover the cauliflower; bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just tender.

2. Place the cashews in a blender and grind to a fine powder. Add the water and blend on high speed for 2 minutes.

3. Using an immersion blender or food processor, puree the cauliflower mixture. Add the cashew mixture and sugar. Add more stock or water if the soup is too thick. Bring to a simmer and season with more salt, if needed.

Serves 4 to 6.

Hummus
    eat it by the spoonful as a snack when i feel like it in the evening. chick peas are basicly fibre and protein.

Ingredients

1 - 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
    1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas (this will vary because you want to get it smooth, but not too runny)
    3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
    1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil

i add ground cumin and paprika when i am blending it, but they are optional
    Instructions

Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

it takes some practice, it sounds easier than it looks. it is so worth it tho!

In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Chilli

I make mine with lots of added veggies. yes i know that isn`t traditional, but i like it!
    i don't measure when i cook. i just add amounts that look right to me. i don't use a spice mix from the store, i just open up my spice cupboard and start adding spices. totally use a pre packaged spice mix if you are more comfortable.

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can black beans
    1 small can tomato paste (roughly) or any tomatos of your choice, whatever is on hand.
    3-4 cloves of garlic - chopped
    1/4 cup chopped onion - use as much or as little as you want.
    handful of mushrooms - sliced
    2 stalks celery - chopped small
    1/4 to 1/2 of a green bell pepper - chopped small

spices - i am guessing the amounts here, please adjust it to your personal taste)
    1/2 tsp smoked pepper (i got it at bulk barn, it is a south american pepper, i forget the name!)
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp salt

Instructions

saute the onions, celery and bell pepper until soft, in a large pot (7-8 litre pot). add the garlic and saute about 30 seconds. add the meat and spices and cook until the water is gone.

drain and rinse the beans and add to the pot. add the canned tomatos or tomato paste. add at least 2 cans of water. i let mine simmer for almost an hour, so i fill the pot with water to allow for a long simmering time.

last time i made chili, i had leftovers the next day with leftover quinoa, and it was so incredibly yummy!
    R

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I like fajita's, vegetarian style.

Fry up peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, onion and most any other vegetable, I put jalapenos in mine too, add some chili peppers for seasoning.

Salsa and whole wheat tortilla's. Sour cream too if you're not going for a vegan version of it.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

snacking on some hummus, i love it for late night snacking. it's so flavorful and filling!

i thought i'd share a breakfast treat i had a couple of days that was amazingly yummy.

Eggs Florentine (for one)

Ingredients

2 eggs
    1 President's Choice Blue Menu ultra thin bagel - multigrain.
    wilted spinach - i use a lot, about 1/3 of a bag. it cooks down quite a bit.
    hollandaise sauce. i know, rich! i used an easy Alton Brown recipe.

Instructions

Prepare the hollandaise and set aside. don't worry if it cools a bot, when you put it on the eggs, it will become fluid.
    whle preparing the hollandaise, wilt some chopped spinach in a seperate pan. when the spinach is done set it aside in the warm pan.

next poach the eggs. use the pot that you were using as a double boiler for the hollandaise. add more water to the bottom pot and a tsp of vinegar. when the water is almost to a boil, use a spoon to stir the water and create a gentle whirlpool. slowly drop in one egg in he middle of the whirlpool and poach for 4 minutes. when the egg is ready, use a slotted spoon to let all the water run off, and set it aside in the plate.
    start your next egg, and toast your thin bagel at the same time.

everything should be ready and still warm. stack your eggs florentine with the bagel on the bottom, then spinach, then eggs and sauce on top.

this is not a low calorie breakfast, but it is very healthy, natural and filling.
    the key is using a good quality multigrain bread and lots of spinach. also eggs are incredibly healthy brain food.

my focus is whole foods that are less processed.

Hollandaise. (1 serving)
    I cut down the butter to about 2/3 just because. this is one serving, because i'm the only person who will eat this in my house

1 egg yolk
    1/3 teapsoon water
    small pinch sugar
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces (easily reduced to 2 tb if you like)
    small pinch salt
    1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
    black pepper
    small pinch dry dill

Directions

Pour 1-inch of water into a large saucepan; over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low.

Place egg yolk and water in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until mixture lightens in color, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sugar and whisk for another 30 seconds.

Place the mixture over the simmering water and whisk constantly for 3 to 5 minutes, or until there is a clear line that is drawn in the mixture when you pull your whisk through, or the mixture coats the back of a spoon.

Remove the bowl from over the pan and gradually add the butter, 1 piece at a time, and whisk until all of the butter is incorporated. Place the bowl back over the simmering water occasionally so that it will be warm enough the melt the butter. Add the salt, lemon juice, black pepper and dill. Serve immediately or hold in a thermos to keep warm.
    Last edited by anisa; Tue, Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid.

I think this really shows how we should be eating. I love most of it, but i don't eat as much grain and pasta that is listed on the chart. also i don't eat soy.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02995...d-Pyramid.html
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Steel Cut Oats

Hubby and i love steel cut oatmeal. yummo!!!
    the texture is nice and chewy.

I buy the President's Choice Blue Menu container and toss it in the microwave, following the directions on the package. super easy and it takes about 15 minutes. you just go do something else in the meantime.

i eat mine with a little milk and a spoonful of brown sugar. I put the spoonful of sugar on top, i don't stir it thru. I find if i take a little brown sugar with every spoonful without mixing it in, my taste buds are satisfied with getting a little hit of concentrated brown sugar flavor in each spoonful, and i don't need to over indulge
    Last edited by anisa; Sat, Jan 7th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
    R

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Anisa, have you tried Agave on your oats ? It is yummy and low glycemic index too.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    Steel Cut Oats

Hubby and i love steel cut oatmeal. yummo!!!
    the texture is nice and chewy.

I buy the President's Choice Blue Menu container and toss it in the microwave, following the directions on the package. super easy and it takes about 15 minutes. you just go do something else in the meantime.

i eat mine with a little milk and a spoonful of brown sugar. I put the spoonful of sugar on top, i do't stir it thru. I find if i take a lieele brown sugar with every spoonful without mixing it in, my taste buds are satisfied with getting a little hit of concentrated brown sugar flavor in each spoonful, and i don't need to over indulge
    I just tried those same steel cut oats for the first time yesterday(they've been sitting in my cupboard for awhile!!)
    I cooked them up with spices and an apple - not too bad, might need more apple or the brown sugar you mention but as i'm avoiding sugar for a litttle bit it had to do!
    Come on -Join me ! Get Points, get Free stuff

http://www.gifthulk.com/refer/kazm-l
    And if you need a link for Zoombucks or Irazoo ....let me know!!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    Anisa, have you tried Agave on your oats ? It is yummy and low glycemic index too.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Tapatalk

to be honest i haven't. i don't really know a lot about it.
    agave is something i still have to do some reading about. thank you for the suggestion
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

this is a really good explanation of agave. i may just try some!

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40072...Dangerous.html
    R

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kazm-l View Post
    I just tried those same steel cut oats for the first time yesterday(they've been sitting in my cupboard for awhile!!)
    I cooked them up with spices and an apple - not too bad, might need more apple or the brown sugar you mention but as i'm avoiding sugar for a litttle bit it had to do!
    One thing I do to sweeten my oatmeal is to add yogurt to it. Cook the oatmeal as the package says, add one personal package of yogurt, mix together (and I usually add berries). It generally is sweet enough though our taste buds have to get used to not getting the sugar with each bite. One other note... It kind of looks disgusting but it works to get a fruit serving, dairy serving and carb serving in one yummy bowl of breakfast.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow...lots of really good tips on here. Thanks for posting. I try to eat healthy and stay active. Had a routine of getting outside and walking every day for 2 miles until last May when I developed heel pain and had to quit the walking. Have gained about 15 pounds and have just now been able to get back to my walking routine with just a bit of pain. Hope to get this extra weight off again!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I updated the hollandaise sauce recipe.

the original recipe called for 4 tablespoons of butter. the first time i made it i used 3 tb. i made it again and used 2. the sauce was still nice and sauce-y and made plenty for the 2 eggs.

keep in mind this is a real treat with the hollandaise. if you keep your yolks runny when poaching the eggs, the sauce can totally be omitted because the runny yolks add enough liquid on their own
    R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information