User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Airmiles best practices

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mastersaver View Post
    WOW cant believe how many BP safeway gives out! when i see 10 BP i think that is huge!! Always wondered how people accumulated so many. 1 pt/$20 spent at metro isnt getting me anywhere quickly. 380 pts over 7 years. Ill stick to SDM points.
    A year or so ago Safeway gave out more than they do now.

My Tangerine Key is:39626323S1

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I would like to know what you guys in Montreal do to get the most Air Miles possible. At 1 per $20 with the BMO card, it' going to take me an eternity. I do, however, try to shop at IGA, where you can double dip, when the basics I need come with bonus Air Miles. Also, I had my HBC rewards converted into Air Miles. I was thinking about getting the HBC credit card so I can also double dip when I buy at any HBC store and therefore get more miles. What do you guys think?

smf008
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I like these points. Very good. But sometimes some people can only afford KD or HH, eh? The food bank only goes so long for some of the families.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

True. All the more reason to be a prudent shopper. Whether you're wealthy or poor or in between you should avoid chasing fake 'deals', buying products you don't need, or being 'penny wise but pound foolish'. The wealthy people I know don't shop at safeway or collect airmiles. They buy at Whole Foods and don't even worry about the price. But I suspect many of the same people who think they can only afford low quality processed food like Kraft Dinner haven't actually compared the cost of buying better, 'less convenient' food - like making your own pasta, maybe with a few roasted veggies in it instead of flourescent orange powder. ;-)
    Mags likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It depends on the Safeway store manager. I found one store in my city where they would allow me to pay for the stuffs that have bonus AM on for that week if they are sold out, then they would put in a special order for the quantity I pay for already. So I would receive the bonus AM before it is over and get the stuffs next week. But the other stores wouldn't allow me to pay for things first if they don't have in stock in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by operabob View Post
    e,

You can add this to your BP list.

Special promo items with lots of attached AirMiles often get used up and aren't replenished quickly on the shelves.

Get a "rain check" for these items at Customer Service good for 90 days. You can save these up to make it easier to get to $100 when they have the Buy $100 Get 100 bonus AirMiles offer on.

For those of you more sneaky people, if there are only a few items left you could move them elsewhere on the shelves before showing the CS person the shelf is empty.

Hint on the rain check: You can ask for multiple items. So if the offer is a Buy 5 Get 50 Airmiles ask for 10 multiples so you can Buy 50 Get 500 AMs.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for all your tips, guys. Im currently sitting at 201 airmiles which have mostly come from surveys and a couple from Metro. I find getting airmiles is hard, because most stores have a specific "spend x get 1 airmile" policy, instead of "get 1 airmile for every dollar you spend" type thing. These tips will definitely help out.
    Wanna get paid giftcards and Paypal cash? Join Swagbucks right now!
    Don't you want free giftcards, prizes and money just for clicking?
    I've earned $180! Join Superpoints today

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank-you for the well articulated, informative post. Question for any Safeway shopper out there: have you noticed that the Safeway bonus air miles sometimes don't show up in your account? I've made the minimum $100 purchases twice, in order to get the bonus miles, both times the points didn't come. Chatting with one of the cashiers since then, she noted that many other customers have told her the same thing. Perhaps my store? Thoughts?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Smart Momma View Post
    ...have you noticed that the Safeway bonus air miles sometimes don't show up in your account? I've made the minimum $100 purchases twice, in order to get the bonus miles, both times the points didn't come. Chatting with one of the cashiers since then, she noted that many other customers have told her the same thing. Perhaps my store? Thoughts?
    Hmm, that might be a store thing. It used to be harder to track airmiles earned at Safeway, but for the past year or so all the Safeways I visit display a summary of the airmiles right on the receipt, including bonus airmiles. Do you see that on your receipts?

Another "best practice" to add to the list is to hang onto these receipts and when airmiles.ca finally updates you can double-check that your account was credited correctly. That's what I've been doing for a while now and I have never seen any of these "receipted" airmiles go missing -- the only time I had airmiles go astray was when I had to go to the safeway customer service desk to have them manually write up some missing airmiles in their little binder. Don't know if those airmiles ever get sent in...

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I too use my Air Miles to buy Best Western Gift Cards. Also Marlin Travel accepts Air Miles when you book a trip with them. I save $2,300 on our last riverboat cruise by cashing in my Air Miles for Marlin Travel Gift Cards.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    72 (100%)

I love my Air Miles!!!
    The best place I've found in my area to collect is at the Pharmasave. You get one AM for every $10 before taxes (excluding prescriptions, tickets) and you get a bonus AM for most Pharmasave Brand products (excluding water, paper products). You can really rack up the AM's there.
    I trade in my AM for Sobeys Gift Certificates then use the gift certificates to buy Gift Cards for other stores that I want to shop at.
    All in all, it's a win-win situation. I'm on a very limited budget and every little bit helps, so if I watch my purchasing I can redeem my Miles every so often for my choise of rewards. Whether it's for groceries or restaurants or department stores and many other things, you can get them all at Sobeys.

For Amazon, PayPal GC and tons of other stuff
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kimsdog9098
    https://www.listia.com/signup/87000

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kimmie bt View Post
    I love my Air Miles!!!
    The best place I've found in my area to collect is at the Pharmasave. You get one AM for every $10 before taxes (excluding prescriptions, tickets) and you get a bonus AM for most Pharmasave Brand products (excluding water, paper products). You can really rack up the AM's there.
    Wow! That's some enthusiasm! I guess we shouldn't be concerned about the Airmiles program shriveling up anytime soon.

In my neighbourhood Pharmasave is not very competitive. Again, for me it's not about racking up airmiles for their own sake but rather what kind of price discount they amount to.

The 1 airmile per $10 doesn't impress me -- that's an 11 or 13 cent discount on a $10 purchase, not even worth considering. A 50c coupon for a tube of toothpaste is worth four times that!

The only thing I buy at Pharmasave is Terry's chocolate oranges to put in our Christmas stockings - they always have them at a great price the week before Christmas. But most of the day-to-day prices (at my local store anyway) are too high to make them a regular stop. And I spend mostly on food, not beauty or personal care products, so they don't have a lot of what I need in my weekly shopping.

Actually, to be fair Pharmasave does have some good prices in their flyer -- like most stores, they showcase a few items with big discounts to get you in the door. So long as you are careful and don't buy stuff that's not "on sale" then Pharmasave can be another good option. That's true about Safeway too -- especially lately their offers haven't been as good as in the past. And I stay away from Safeway's high prices and questionable quality in their produce section. But at least Safeway has big bonus airmiles deals on foodstuffs that really make a substantial discount.
    Last edited by emax; Sun, Jan 15th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I get most of my airmiles at the LCBO - not sure what that says about me .

It still is not a lot but at Christmas time it can add up especially if you buy wine that has bonus points.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Smart Momma View Post
    Thank-you for the well articulated, informative post. Question for any Safeway shopper out there: have you noticed that the Safeway bonus air miles sometimes don't show up in your account? I've made the minimum $100 purchases twice, in order to get the bonus miles, both times the points didn't come. Chatting with one of the cashiers since then, she noted that many other customers have told her the same thing. Perhaps my store? Thoughts?
    this happened to me yesterday and the manager told me the total has to be over $100 before taxes, deposits, and levys.

Frugalmom
    Trading Score
    108 (100%)

I'm ready to redeem for a Metro giftcard. Where do I go to do this. I know......silly question.

i am crazy for coupons
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

"use ALL safeway Spend$100Get100 coupons - you can find one version in the flyer, another on email or online -- they have different PLU codes so although technically you shouldn't be able to use both at the same time, the computer will accept them (insist your cashier scan both for you or find another cashier) "

i didnt know that! thats very informative. thank you very much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information