User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Inventory companies are pretty much always hiring and I know there are quite a few offices in toronto..not the best job in the world but it pays the bills and if you are good you can move up pretty fast in the company..no specials skills required they do all the training..good luck..

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DO NOT take a 2 year course that will not get you a "living wage". I work in a school and a grade 12 student told me they were going to take a 2 year course to be a teacher aid and make $42,000 a year. Excuse me but you would be lucky to make 1/2 of that wage. 5 1/2 hours a day times 192 days a year (Saskatchewan) = $39.77/hr if you were to make $42,000 no overtime, no extra shifts not a chance in hell!
    Try Licenced Practical Nurse or take oil field courses for your two year courses. Much better wages and can work extra shifts.
    Last edited by dagney; Wed, Jan 25th, 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added a line

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by dagney View Post
    DO NOT take a 2 year course that will not get you a "living wage". I work in a school and a grade 12 student told me they were going to take a 2 year course to be a teacher aid and make $42,000 a year. Excuse me but you would be lucky to make 1/2 of that wage. 5 1/2 hours a day times 192 days a year (Saskatchewan) = $39.77/hr if you were to make $42,000 no overtime, no extra shifts not a chance in hell!
    Try Licenced Practical Nurse or take oil field courses for your two year courses. Much better wages and can work extra shifts.
    True, calculation just doesn't make sense....... this job profile of teacher aid isn't very attractive, unless you study more & become a full teacher..

YES!! Oil Field course or anything to do with Oil & gas industry is great. Finish the course ASAP & head to Fr McMurray Alberta, or Prince Albert, in Sask. (lots of jobs will be waiting for you)..

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great advice from both ashedfc and mortgage queen.

Although you are both young and perhaps up for an adventure, I would really hesitate to pack up and move to the Yukon. Wages may be high but housing, food, gas etc are often unaffordable.

I also agree that often small town anywhere does not offer so many job opportunities as somewhere larger like the GTA. Keep in mind that it is often easier to find a job when you have a job. Even if you were both to take a minimum wage paying job, you would be making $20.50 between you and in the meantime, you can keep looking for a higher paying job.

The advice to get some additional education is great advice. Often you can take courses part-time, while you are working and, yes, anything in health care for seniors is going grow and our population ages.

None of this is easy but if you are both singing from the same song sheet, as they say, you can work together and move forward. Good Luck!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you everyone for your advice! Going to school is not an option, we can barely support ourselves as it is (I don't live with my parents and for some reason this makes me unable to get osap). And its true about moving to a smaller populated area, but the competition seem too fierce in the GTA. I often find my self in an interview where the sign in sheet has PAGES of people that have checked in for an interview.

I've done it all. YMCA, over 20 employment agencies (and yes I sat there for hours in each filling out paperwork) calling everyday and nothing. I can't apply for ontario works since my boyfriend is working and its getting extremely frustrating.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Going to school is nice but many students of all ages are finding it difficult to find jobs afterwards. For example, you may go to a community college to take Social Service Work but are never told that you will need a BSW if you wish to get a job working at a shelter, CAS or non-profit agencies. Always ask questions..

I would say keep looking.. I know it may not be what you want to read but my spouse is a teacher and had to look over two years before he found full-time work in the GTA. Moving can be very expense and although what you are going through is common in Toronto and surrounding areas, something will give.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

By the way, I've had two part time jobs plus jobs from my own business for the last few years.. It's really rough out there and finding FT work, while NOT impossible, is becoming harder to obtain. Be open to PT work as I found it was easier to obtain PT work in the GTA than FT

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
    If you can't find any type of employment in the GTA, moving to an area with a much smaller job market seems really iffy.
    this is very true! she has a better chance of finding dead end jobs in T.O rather than moving to a smaller community, where any kind of job is scarce. I should know... I was in a similiar situation 30 years ago- minus a fiance.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhilde View Post
    By the way, I've had two part time jobs plus jobs from my own business for the last few years.. It's really rough out there and finding FT work, while NOT impossible, is becoming harder to obtain. Be open to PT work as I found it was easier to obtain PT work in the GTA than FT
    I totally agree! I hold down to two p/t jobs and there are always ample hours with people on sick leave and vacay. It's easier to find a p/t gig

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the part time job i think is what makes me resume look horrible. Ive learned a lot in those positions but on a reumse makes me look like a "job hopper"

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

How do you figure it makes you look a job hopper? You will only look like a job hopper if you plan on spending short periods of time at part time jobs... e.g. getting a job then leaving one month later and putting it on your resume. Regardless, employers will always ask you why you left your previous jobs and that's your opportunity to give your reasons professionally. Sometimes employers don't call because they get so many resumes especially in the Toronto area.. I recently hired an assistant to take care of Admin related stuff while I'm on Mat leave. I got bombarded with e-mails and phone calls.

Your resume will look horrible IMO if you are putting irrelevant info to what you are applying for or using one general resume for different job sectors. I have had different resumes for positions specific in Social Work, Photography, Management, etc, and I don't always put down every single place I've worked or volunteered (esp if it was short term).

Good luck at your job search and keep at it! It can be very frustrating and trying at times. I think you need to open your mind to working PT though. It's the reality of the job market in Ontario these days as everyone is looking for FT. I don't think moving to a new province is the answer unless you have been guaranteed work there from an employer.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    It's interesting you bring this up. . .just yesterday on CBC, they were saying the YUKON is desperate for people.
    So true MortgageQueen.
    I knew a guy who could not find a job when he graduated and carted his wife and toddler to the Yukon. He was treated so well and he still communicates with the friends he made there. He is back in the GTA but speaks so well of the Yukon. He visited friends and family back in the GTA every 3 -6 months when he was in the Yukon.

I know of a professor who lives in the Yukon, travels to BC to teach, and travels around the country from her employer in the Yukon. Smart cookie. She gets a fabulous pay in the Yukon, nearly free housing, the chance to travel and, because it is government work, a fantastic pension.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    In line with the job thread so far. . if you want to really know where the future is. . .geriatrics. Unless we have some kind of plague that kills off older people, we are going to be inundated with seniors.
    Anything in health field (nutritionist,physiotherapy,supportworker,nurse, RNA, Denturist or even business management for all those retirement homes that will have to be put in place. . . .
    So true about careers for the next little while, mortgage queen.
    I would add careers catering to wealthy seniors who like to travel and Snow Birds with $$$.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

You are young, do you have any interest in gaining some experiences overseas. The government has a program called the International Youth Internship Programme. The government partners with different organizations that provides paid internships around the world. Part of the internship is in Canada and part is overseas. Some fabulous opportunities. All are under a year.

http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/iyip
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    You are young, do you have any interest in gaining some experiences overseas. The government has a program called the International Youth Internship Programme. The government partners with different organizations that provides paid internships around the world. Part of the internship is in Canada and part is overseas. Some fabulous opportunities. All are under a year.

http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/iyip
    The last date was Feb 9th, so I believe its too late now..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information