User Tag List

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

This column left a bad taste in my mouth (& I am neither Republican nor Mormon).

I wonder if this level of vitriol would be allowed to be published if the candidate in question were of any other faith?

I hate that one's religious beliefs must supercede their qualifications (or lack thereof). Why must the world be such a sad, hateful place?

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...quelle-horreur
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

What an arse. Oh, wait, it's the Star.... 'nuf said

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well, I understand it coming from the states where christian(protestant only up until Kennedy) religion will get you the presidency. Where someone like Obama has to hide the fact that he was raised not as a religious person but his mom raised him as a secular humanist but if he wanted to become preseident he has to pretend to be a christian.(yes I believe he is pretending and some of his predecessors as well)

I do believe that when it comes down to it the U.S. will not vote in a Mormon and the article is proof.

Thankfully in Canada we put little if no emphasis on the PM's religion. I don't even know nor care what Harper is unless it interferes with lawmaking and policy making(which on the abortion issue it does but thankfully the other parties will be against any reversing of laws pertaining to this)

I also believe that because the process is so long and dragged out in the states they run out of real issues to deal with and they just dig and dig.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I have been watching all the debates in the states and I literally cringed when at one of them they started asking Gingrich about his "3 way" marriage request.

As much as I dislike all the candidates, do we really need to hear this?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

{shrug} if a man's incapable of being faithful to his for 6 years and at the same time accusing the then president of the same thing....it stinks rather of hypocrasy(sp??)

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I have been watching all the debates in the states and I literally cringed when at one of them they started asking Gingrich about his "3 way" marriage request.

As much as I dislike all the candidates, do we really need to hear this?
    Too true. I like to see political debates where the politics are the subject of debate, not the candidates' personal histories, their beliefs/faith, sexual practices, etc. etc. I don't really follow US politics because of the awful mudslinging and off-topic messages. Really, are folks so afraid to confront the actual political issues that they need to run and hide behind another candidate's perceived "different-ness"??

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Fiorito is known for his quasi-op-ed pieces; he is intentionally provocative.

Having said that, and agreeing with you that his column on Romney is pretty facile bashing - and all the French sprinkled through the article is just too precious, and not in a good way! - separation of Church and State is something I hold very dear - I believe that everyone has the right to believe in whatever they wish to, but I also think it needs to be a private matter.

As far as I'm concerned, he can be a Mormon or worship trees or anything in between...but I can also see Fiorito's point about being concerned about Romney's proselytizing in his younger days; the man could become the most powerful guy on the planet. The reach of the office of the POTUS is incredible.

I think it really depends on whether "trying to convert" people is a no-pressure invitation to join their church (which I believe they have the right to offer people) or a strong-arm tactic.

While I have little personal experience with Mormons, the ones I have met have been unfailingly polite and have only tried to interest me in further discussion with them, and have left me alone if I've asked them to without pushing. I understand they believe they need to "spread the word", and they're not the only religious group to do so, by any means. As long as they're not haranguing me and telling me I'll go straight to hell if I don't behave a certain way, etc., they can use their right to free speech as much as the next person.

The strong-arm religious tactic has no place in politics, IMHO, but I think Fiorito is nuts if he thinks electing Romney automatically equals a Mormon theocracy in the US. The French leaders, and those of virtually all other countries who need to deal politically with the US, will be clever enough to realize that the position and the man are not necessarily identical.

From what little I've seen of Romney, at least he has enough class to forego the ad hominem attacks while exercising his right to free speech. Fiorito would do well to take a page from Pierre Trudeau, who told his son Justin, when he had made fun of Joe Clark, that "you may attack the man's ideas, but never the man" (or words to that effect - I remember it from his eulogy).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

...?? how did I double-post that?? whoops!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glowworm2k View Post
    Really, are folks so afraid to confront the actual political issues that they need to run and hide behind another candidate's perceived "different-ness"??
    Given the amount of sh!t thrown at both Obama and Clinton in 2008 and the huge amount still being thrown at Obama....yes, it appears that they do.

I can see this election campaign getting much, much worse over the next 10 months.

And, sadly, part of me is looking forward to it.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Given the amount of sh!t thrown at both Obama and Clinton in 2008 and the huge amount still being thrown at Obama....yes, it appears that they do.

I can see this election campaign getting much, much worse over the next 10 months.

And, sadly, part of me is looking forward to it.
    Well we all know they hate Obama because he is black and they continue to prove that everyday. No president in history has ever been so publically hated or openinly bashed. The sheer hatred on the faces of the opposing congress at the State of the Union address was so obvious.

I have some friends in the states and they use some pretty horrible language when refering to Obama. Like I always tell them we will take him in a heartbeat. They hate that lol.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Thankfully in Canada we put little if no emphasis on the PM's religion. I don't even know nor care what Harper is unless it interferes with lawmaking and policy making(which on the abortion issue it does but thankfully the other parties will be against any reversing of laws pertaining to this).
    Macleans wrote that he is "arguably the country's most openly religious leader in decades", in case anyone is curious.
    http://www.macleans.ca/culture/lifes..._121848_121848

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Macleans wrote that he is "arguably the country's most openly religious leader in decades", in case anyone is curious.
    http://www.macleans.ca/culture/lifes..._121848_121848

Yes he is and he is the first one that I have heard say god bless canada(even though he should not) openly after a speech much like the americans do, but it still doesn't matter to most people, I didn't vote for him because he is a conservative though not because of his religious beliefs.

In the states religion is so important when choosing a leader that they break it down by percentage of how many evangelicals vote for them, how many christians etc.
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Mon, Jan 30th, 2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: sp

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also value the separation between church and state. I do not want policy or laws based on a persons religion but on the Charter of Rights and Federal and Provincial laws. I do not want to know a politicians religion and I don't want to be able to guess by the decisions they make. (as with our PM) I do not want anyones religion or moral standards shoved down my throat. I have my own.
    The replublican cadidates in the U.S. are a scary bunch.
    Why can't Canada have an Obama?

Thread Information