User Tag List

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    99 (99%)

So... I have called around to most of the places here in Ottawa... I have both a male and a female kitten, age 5 months.

Its going to cost $1300 to get them each vaccinated and spatyed/neutered

is there ANY alternative that you guys/gals might know about? I found a clinic in Barrie... but that is soooo far away
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

$1300? Ouch! Try calling vet clinics on the Quebec side of the border...(you can use canada411.ca). You may find the more rural the area, the less expensive it will be. Sometimes the extra distance driving is well worth it. You may also want to call an SPCA or other animal shelter/rescue in your area for low cost spay/neuter referrals.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    236 (100%)

I have a vet that I take my dog to that is way cheaper than in the Ottawa area. It is in Gatineau. Let me know if you want the info.
    <HR>
    Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth, "You owe me." Look what happens with a love like that. It lights the whole sky!

- Hafiz of Persia

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm not from where you are, but that's absolutely ridiculous pricing!

Try a vet college - University of Ottawa, maybe, or Algonquin? Depends on the facility, they may do them to teach students.

No prices are given here, but info
    http://www.spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/

Some listed here, but it's from 2007
    http://www.peopleandpets.ca/RESOURCE...28Feb07%29.pdf

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Have you tried the Spay/Neuter clinic from the City of Ottawa? I heard they are cheaper than the vet. My roommate contacted them, got a quote and it was PM by his own vet...
    http://ottawa.ca/en/licence_permit/p...s_dogs/clinic/

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    99 (99%)

Thanks so much for the info!

snuff - Ive started to check over the border in Quebec now... I don't drive, so I'm relying on my grandfather to get me over there... the closer, the better... but he can probably go up to 30-45min away.

tary - I sent you a PM

Nat - I actually read that whole report this morning... and i was super excited, until I saw the ottawa rates... i called renfrew, nothing, pembroke is almost as expensive... Barrie is cheap... but 5 hours away
    The spay and neuter clinic isnt horrible, about $500 for the spay and neuter... BUT they have to be vaccinated... and they do not provide that service, the animal hospital costs $119 per shot, per kitten... and they need 3 each...

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

The Ottawa spay/neuter clinic on Concourse Gate is very reasonable; I had my male cats done there - it was just over $200 for the both of them. This did not include vaccines as they do not do those there, and they are not required to have vaccinations to get done.

http://ottawa.ca/en/licence_permit/p...s_dogs/clinic/

EDIT: seems we all replied nearly the same time.

I had the cats done there Oct 2010 & you did NOT have to have vaccinations to get them done - perhaps that changed?
    Last edited by KrazE; Fri, Feb 3rd, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    99 (99%)

Kraze: How important are the vaccinations? Last thing I want to do is put them through more pain, or at any health risk while they are healing from the operation :/

Edit: Also a 3 month wait for female kittens, and I think that might be too long - Sampson is already starting to mount her lol

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I do not believe in vaccinations for 100% indoor cats, ever. They get their de-worming etc meds on schedule at home - for the record - to me vaccinations = needles

The boys did just fine, and they are silly healthy 2 yrs old now.

Note: My beliefs are not up for debate, nor my choices for my pets (because I also do not believe in chemical additives in my aquarium). You make your choices, and I make mine.
    Last edited by KrazE; Fri, Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:12 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Personally, I go for the bare minimum when it comes to vaccinations for my indoor cats. No need to go fancy if they don't go outside.

On a side note, the best time to spay a female is at five to seven months of age before she goes into her first heat.

Good luck

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Have you tried Cobden? My mom lives in Renfrew and brings her pets there and says they are a lot cheaper. Only fifteen minutes away from Renfrew too.

Trading Score
    150 (100%)

Another place to check is Smiths Falls. I had a male cat neutered there for around $100 (mind you this was 3 years ago) and Brockville is were my mom takes her dog who was spayed about a year ago for around $200.

Thread Information