User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

DH hubby and I have been foster parents for dogs for a few years now with a a 3 year break since we ended up adopting one. We first started to Foster with Beagle Paws back in Newfoundland.

Molly was our first Foster, she was a very shy girl that eventually got used to be touched by humans and especially warmed up to humans. We first got her, she would freeze when you touched her. That poor thing spend 1 year in a crate with no real contact. She was adopted quickly since she was so young.

Mason was an old boy, he was 9 years old and when they got him at Beagle Paws he was seriously underweight. He was a cross between a Beagle and Border Collie. He had all the physical attribute of a Beagle except he had the size of a Border Collie. His healthy weight was 50 pounds, he was 12 pounds when they found him. He had epilepsy and a cauliflower ear. He had no manners and was not housebroken but we worked really hard with him and he became such a good boy. However, when it came to food, we could not leave him unsupervised and that was quite understandable due to his past. We fell in love with him and ended up adopting him.

He passed away in May 2011 and we are not over him yet, he was very special (I am still tearing up when I am writing this) so we came to the conclusion we cannot adopt at this time but we still want to help. So we went back to Fostering.

We first got Hambone, a Treeing Walker Coonhound who had a big of food issue (again, was left seriously underweight) and a bit of aggression. We later discovered that he suffered from arthritis, that was explaining some of his aggression. He has been adopted and since he is on glucausamine, no more aggression. So happy for him!

Then came Picsou. A 1 1/2 year old underweight Chihuahua, terrified of humans and not house broken. Within 3 weeks, we no longer saw his ribs or spine, he saw humans was walking toys (Come on! You know you wanna throw the ball for me! Do it! Do it! Do it!) and was asking for the door when he needed it. I am so happy, Picsou got his new forever home and left yesterday. He has a new Chihuahua brother, Luca, which he loves playing with but also cuddling when they are burned for chasing each other :D

Now, Chico came to us. A grumpy 6 years old su that was so spoiled previously and maybe a bit abused that he is not sure what he wants and growls constantly. A new challenge for us!

I am so proud of all my foster babies. I may not be over Mason but I am spreading my love to all the doggies that needs it
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Miffersmom
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good for you!!!! I have always wanted to foster animals but I know I would end up wanting to keep them all, its hard on the heart to say goodbye even though you know they are going to a great new home. My condolances on your loss, take some joy in knowing the good that you are doing. It takes a special heart to do what you do!!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good for you!
    I would love to Foster if it ever gets to the point where I can't own a dog.
    Right now due to the fact that my current dog would not put up with another dog (he is a rescue but has DA (Dog Aggression) issues.
    But I would love to foster in the future. Get the dogs that got off on the wrong foot back into loving homes on the right foot!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Beautiful story about your "fur kids"--you have a beautiful heart.
    They are so fortunate to come into your life!

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

This is the best brag ever, I teared up reading it, I have always wanted to foster dogs but having 3 already I think it might be too much, I give you so much credit for doing such an unselfish thing like this, it is so amazing

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Love this brag. I teared up reading it and even though Mason's gone, he'll always live in your heart forever. Those foster dogs are so lucky to have you in their lives

Trading Score
    236 (100%)

Keep up the good and kind work!
    <HR>
    Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth, "You owe me." Look what happens with a love like that. It lights the whole sky!

- Hafiz of Persia

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

good for you gladsomeone is looking out for the little guys id never be able to let them go once they lived with me lol

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

What a great noncoupon brag.
    Love what you are doing fostering pets.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Feb 13th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Thanks everyone, Chico doesn't think I am a great person right now, he is quite pissed at me. We just spent 4 hours shaving his matted hair and the clipper's batteries died on us... He still have a lot of hair of his head and 3 legs... And he didn't like the bath at all. More shaving tonight, he looks part Lion, part su, part duck...

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielmac View Post
    Thanks everyone, Chico doesn't think I am a great person right now, he is quite pissed at me. We just spent 4 hours shaving his matted hair and the clipper's batteries died on us... He still have a lot of hair of his head and 3 legs... And he didn't like the bath at all. More shaving tonight, he looks part Lion, part su, part duck...
    Sorry that Chico is not happy. He's probably wondering why he being tortured. Lol.

Sounds like you have the gift and that in a little while you will post that Chico is the most loving dog ever.

My predictions (*disclaimer, I do not work for the psychic network)

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I loved reading this! I used to foster a lot of a shelter and I have a photo album of each foster I did with their stories so other people can just look at it when they come over.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Oh, you're doing such a wonderful thing, being the predictable, loving, supportive environment these dogs need. Congratulations on your success with them! You obviously have a special gift - certainly the dogs have a gift in you!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Never stop learning... Big Pink's Avatar
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Cheers to you for your love and patience!
    Great story... thanks for sharing.
    I look forward to updates on Chico.
    “Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway.” – Mother Teresa

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I read all the replys and even now I still find it hard to see masons picture. You see mason was "daddys boy". I never expected mason to touch me in the way he did. He always let me know when he was about to have a seizure. And while he was in seizure I was always there. So he kept eye contact through the entire time. And when it was over and he came back around he would hug me (put his head against my chest) as if to say "thank you for bein here daddy...I love you". Having to put mason to sleep was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.
    Sometimes believe it or not strange things happen that remind us of someone lost but never forgotten. One night picsou brought me a toilet paper roll. That was masons favorite toy. He could play with one for hours despite all the other toys he had. I cried when he did that. Thank you mason for the lovely reminder. I will never forget you. Here is my favorite picture of mason. I call it "Daddy and mason nap together". Enjoy it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information