User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What do you sweeten your tea/coffee with?

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I've been using Splenda and Sugar Twin since I was about 16 (24 now) to try to "cut calories". I'm so used to it that I refuse any form of sugar in my drinks. However, as I embark on my healthy and organic journey (lol) I've actually taken the time to read the "ingredients" list of these sweetners . I mean, I always knew that they were bad and that their side effects are not entirely known...

So the question is...what is an alternative to this alternative? I'm leaning towards brown sugar...but in my previous experience with it, it tended to get dry and stale very fast...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Oh !! I would love to suggest Stevia to sweeten your beverages ( both hot and cold beverages) It is a natural leaf plant that will not harm your body like aspartame, saccharin and others. Comes in both liquid and powdered forms.
    You must remember that because Stevia is now approved for use that there are many companies pushing their inferior quality Stevia products onto the market.
    Don't buy any Stevia that shows calories, because real pure Stevia has none. What they add to that " fake " product is maltodextrose, so it is worse that eating the other sweeteners.
    The ingredients on the pure or good Stevia should say Sweet leaf Rebaudiana and inulin is added to the powdered version.
    You will use so very little as the sweetness is unbelievable! Always go less at first and taste, then you can add more if needed.
    Also, there is a brand called NOW and it is the newest improved version that has no bitter aftertaste that some people said they tasted with the original Stevia.
    Did you see the Dr Oz show about artificial sweeteners recently? Quite scary. For women, ( not sure about men) it does something to your bladder, kidney function. Like incontinence I think. Who wants that at your age?
    Hope you try Stevia, it is wonderful.
    hollyquaiscer and natynat like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Stevia is great, I agree with WOB, but I use honey, if I need a sweetener. It's also an all natural product with no additives or preservatives and does the same thing, sweetens whatever it's added to. I will have people look at me odd in restaurants when I ask for a coffee and honey, but I've been using it for years.
    walkonby likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

For coffee, a half-spoon of white sugar (or raw if I have a pack). Brown sugar is okay, but I don't like the taste of honey in coffee.

For tea, most often no sweetener, but if I use anything, it's a bit of honey.

Not a fan of any artificial sweeteners.
    No, not even stevia - which is refined, too.
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Oh !! I would love to suggest Stevia to sweeten your beverages ( both hot and cold beverages) It is a natural leaf plant that will not harm your body like aspartame, saccharin and others. Comes in both liquid and powdered forms.
    You must remember that because Stevia is now approved for use that there are many companies pushing their inferior quality Stevia products onto the market.
    Don't buy any Stevia that shows calories, because real pure Stevia has none. What they add to that " fake " product is maltodextrose, so it is worse that eating the other sweeteners.
    The ingredients on the pure or good Stevia should say Sweet leaf Rebaudiana and inulin is added to the powdered version.
    You will use so very little as the sweetness is unbelievable! Always go less at first and taste, then you can add more if needed.
    Also, there is a brand called NOW and it is the newest improved version that has no bitter aftertaste that some people said they tasted with the original Stevia.
    Did you see the Dr Oz show about artificial sweeteners recently? Quite scary. For women, ( not sure about men) it does something to your bladder, kidney function. Like incontinence I think. Who wants that at your age?
    Hope you try Stevia, it is wonderful.
    Thanks for the reply I've heard of Stevia, but I figured it was just another artificial sweetner. I'll keep it in mind. It's so complicated nowadays to find anything that's not modified or contains some form of chemicals...ugh. I haven't watched Dr.Oz in ages, but I've heard those scary things about sweetners...hence wanting to switch over to something more natural without all the crazy "bad" calories...
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    Stevia is great, I agree with WOB, but I use honey, if I need a sweetener. It's also an all natural product with no additives or preservatives and does the same thing, sweetens whatever it's added to. I will have people look at me odd in restaurants when I ask for a coffee and honey, but I've been using it for years.
    Lol when I worked at Tim Horton's a very long time ago, there was a very peculiar man who would take coffee with honey and salt...so I don't think that you're odd! I haven't tried coffee with honey, but I do put it in my green tea sometimes. When I'm sick, I drink honey lemon tea with extra honey Thanks for the reply!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    For coffee, a half-spoon of white sugar (or raw if I have a pack). Brown sugar is okay, but I don't like the taste of honey in coffee.

For tea, most often no sweetener, but if I use anything, it's a bit of honey.

Not a fan of any artificial sweeteners.
    No, not even stevia - which is refined, too.
    And that's the best way...doing it naturally and raw. I think that the society that we live in preaches about how bad calories are, and tells us to buy all of these "low calorie" foods, that we've forgotten that some natural sugars are good for us. Besides that, I think I may as well indulge in some calories without risking my body to backlash on me from the aspertame and other chemicals.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

OP, just to clarify my own use of Stevia, Personally I do not use it in coffee or tea because I have never used any sugar when drinking them, it is very important not to over use any kind of sweetener, whether it it artificial or natural. When I bake I have tried to replace the white and brown sugars in the recipes because they add calories, but also because I feel the sugar is addictive for me.
    Natalka, you did mention that Stevia is refined, but so is sugar, so I don't know what difference that makes. The OP was looking for a no calorie way to sweeten her beverages I thought, other than using the artificial ones that they are finding now are unhealthy.
    natynat likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I mostly use sugar but occasionally I use Panama jack
    natynat likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Honey?

I never thought of that!!

Going to try it myself. I like honey!!
    Natalka and natynat like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I use Splenda but stay away from anything with aspertame as it's rumoured to stall weight loss.
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sweet 'n Low...I need all the preservatives I can get at my age!
    I've tried Stevia, Truvia and I although I could take the time to make
    the change, I'm not inclined to do so. I buy it in bulk at the Bulk Barn,
    so it's not expensive.
    My Mom used Saccharine all her life...perserved her into her 90s!
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    I use Splenda but stay away from anything with aspertame as it's rumoured to stall weight loss.
    Aspartame is something I do avoid like the plague!
    It causes "restless leg syndrome" for me...who would have thought?!!
    Can you imagine what it does to the rest of one's body?!!
    I was so happy that Nestle (I think?) put out those little packets that you
    put into a bottle or glass of water to make a nice drink...without aspartame! Yay!
    Now that I think about it...it might be the "Selections" brand at FB.
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

This morning its a half teaspoon of splenda with whole milk in my cafe ,but i also havr been usuing Natrel Cafe French Vanilla (no sugar added) its 15 calories for 1 tablespoon.,was using another 1 but it was 30 calories might not be the best thing but "oh well"
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    This morning its a half teaspoon of splenda with whole milk in my cafe ,but i also havr been usuing Natrel Cafe French Vanilla (no sugar added) its 15 calories for 1 tablespoon.,was using another 1 but it was 30 calories might not be the best thing but "oh well"
    From that picture you posted you walk off most calories anyway! Congrats to that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information