User Tag List

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

Now that I have to pack a lunch everyday I'm finding it hard to keep things interesting. I don't have access to a microwave so everything I take has to be cold (unless I splurge on a thermos, lol). I've been making sandwiches, salads, crackers and cheese... but I need some inspiration! Wraps, salads, what are your favorites?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'm weird, but I'll eat nearly anything cold. Pizza is one of my cold faves! If you like hot foods, I'd recommend a thermos. They can be expensive, but you can find small ones for under $10.

Maybe order one of those toasters with the egg thingie on it from Dempsters!

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

^ I'm with you Zonny, I LOVE cold pizza!
    Join Swagbucks to start earning Amazon gift cards & Paypal $$$!
    Join Swagbucks!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Not sure if you're a lentil fan or not, but I tried this one the other day. It was easy to make and packs a punch in terms of protein.

(I'll caution you though....I think this one makes a better "side" dish than it does a main course dish. I love lentils but even I found this one too nutty after a big heaping bowl of it)

Cold Lentil Salad

1 cup lentils, uncooked
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
    2 green onions, chopped
    2 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
    1/4 small red onion, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    kosher salt, to taste
    ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

Add enough water to fully cover lentils in a deep pot and cook, covered, over medium-high heat for 30-45 minutes, or until tender (but not falling apart). Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and vinegar. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine cooked lentils, green onions, parsley, red onion and carrot. Drizzle olive oil mixture over salad and toss well. Season to taste with kosher salt and ground black pepper, if desired.

Refrigerate, covered, for at least 30-45 minutes to chill, preferably 2-3 hours to allow flavors to meld.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Getting a thermos is a good suggestion.

For salads: Tuna & veggies, caesar & chicken, chicken & veggies, spinach & fruit, pasta salad (tricolor or macaroni depending on mood), couscous & veggies sometimes with meat (couscous sometimes switched for bulgar). My mom loves tomato salad (garlic, oil/vinegar, lots of parsley, basil, spices).

I love wraps, too. Sometimes simple like a sandwich but in a tortilla. Fajita style with sour cream, meat, lettuce, salsa and cheese. I love avocado in wraps, but it doesn't end up looking nice lol.

If I'm in a lazy mood, I'll put something like the tuna salad in a pita with some cheese.

When I make tuna or chicken salad, I make a lot. Enough for two or three lunches since I cut up a lot of veggies. It usually has: red onion, red pepper, orange pepper, green onion, celery, cucumber, parsley, lettuce, etc. All finely chopped. I actually made some last night.

Pasta salad I make a bit less since the mayo doesn't last as long as an oil based dressing. Though you don't have to use mayo.

My sister likes humus. She takes that with some nachos. Salsa is good, too.

Sometimes I'll just cut up veggies, bring a dressing and use it as a dip. Add a slice of bread or pita to make it more filling or leave it out.

I've even brought club sandwiches before (mmm bacon).

Can't think of anything else, lol!

Edited for photo:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by slayer_glade; Wed, Feb 22nd, 2012 at 03:01 AM. Reason: added photo

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Another one of my favorites is this veggie wrap:

2 tbsp cream cheese spread
    2 tbsp ranch dressing
    2 seven-inch tortilla wraps
    1 cup finely shredded carrots
    1/2 cup chopped red peppers
    2 green onions, thinly sliced

mix cream cheese with ranch dressing and spread on the tortillas. Top with veggies. Roll tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh sheets, my DD swears by her small thermos. A WM small one, and just enough hot food as she is not always feeling like a sandwich.
    Her other fav. thing is I cook her up 2-3 skinless boneless chix breasts and then she puts slices of that with her fav veggies in any wrap. You could add Caesar dressing or whatever sauce you like. Wraps are so yummy I find for lunch.
    Good luck!

babies teach us acceptance

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm definitely going to try some of them
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I'm weird, but I'll eat nearly anything cold. Pizza is one of my cold faves! If you like hot foods, I'd recommend a thermos. They can be expensive, but you can find small ones for under $10.

Maybe order one of those toasters with the egg thingie on it from Dempsters!
    If you're weird, then so am I I eat beans and canned pasta straight out of the can, my cream corn has to be chilled (DH has to have his hot), I eat pizza straight out of the fridge.

By the way Sheets, thanks so much for posting this thread!! I find lunches can be so hard to pack for....I always get stuck in the sandwich rut.

I would definitely second the recommendation for a Thermos, as it just adds so much more variety to what you can bring.

Here's a link from a site I love, this woman has *tons* of lunch ideas, and bonus they're all healthy, might give you some ideas:

http://weelicious.com/category/lunch-ideas/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm partial to bean salads.

Prepare your dressing the night before, open, drain and rinse a can of beans and let marinate overnight. One can of beans easily can be two servings.

Basic dressing that I use:

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice, or lime juice or vinegar
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    Herbs to taste (I like blends like Herbes de Provence.)
    Salt & pepper to taste.

For a South-West variation, omit mustard and replace herbs with tsp ground cumin.

To your bean salad you can add sliced green onions (high recommended), chopped red onions, chopped avocado, red peppers, a drained can of tuna.

With the dressing above, I also make a tuna salad. Drain one can of tuna and add sliced green onions, chopped celery and red peppers. A chopped avocado is pretty good if fat is not a concern. Makes a nice filling for a wrap, but I just dump this over a veggie salad.

Thread Information