User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I know it's standard in kids' shows and books for the parents to be absent, if only temporarily, to allow the story to be about the kids solving the problem. The problem I have with the show is that Max is always shown to be right in the end, even though he's been ignoring what he's told and decides to misbehave. Sure, Ruby can be prissy and bossy, but she's really pretty good with her little brother, especially since she seems to be taking care of him all the time. Most of the time, what she's saying to Max is right. According to the formula of the show, however, whatever Max does turns out to be for the best, even though his behaviour should have ruined everything. He doesn't ever learn that he really should have listened. He does what he wants, and everything turns out okay.

My son has really been liking the show for the last few months, but I notice that he's learning from Max. He tends to want to do his own thing and not listen for a while after watching the program.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

lol yeah I've wondered about some of these shows myself.

I understand that a lot of children's shows don't really feature parents, and personally that's not my issue with Max & Ruby, but rather the fact that she seems way too young to *always* have to be taking care of her little brother, even when she is trying to do things that are important to her. I do understand that some families may work like this, but it just seems a bit much for a 7 year old to deal with all the time on a cartoon.

Personally my son went through a big Toopy & Binou phase. I do understand what you're saying, as I've often thought that Toopy seemed a bit....eccentric. But I thought about it a lot and realized that all they're really showing is a mouse with a stuffed toy cat (lol) and his really large imagination. And as far as the "cross-dressing" goes....I don't think it can be considered that when it's aimed at such young children. Children like to pretend, and they don't understand the difference between "boy" and "girl" clothes unless we as adults impose those ideas on them. My oldest son will soon be 5 and he has, out of curiosity, dressed up as a princess and asked me to put make up on him (which, yes, I did). I don't think it's going to have any long lasting implications....

Ooh I wanted to throw my opinion in on "In the Night Garden". Now *that* is a weird show!! It's just so...trippy...or something...actually reminds me a lot of TeleTubbies (shudder) lol

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i am a firm mommy, but i still don't see much wrong with these shows.

i guess we all have quite different opinions and interpretations
    Last edited by anisa; Sat, Feb 25th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vibrantflame View Post

Ooh I wanted to throw my opinion in on "In the Night Garden". Now *that* is a weird show!! It's just so...trippy...or something...actually reminds me a lot of TeleTubbies (shudder) lol

They are both made by Ragdoll as were the incredibly phallic Boohbahs.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    They are both made by Ragdoll as were the incredibly phallic Boohbahs.

Wow. I wasn't familiar with the Boohbahs!

It's a good thing they were circumcised!

Why do creators of kids' television shows do this?

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I too often think in the Night Garden was written by a bunch of stoned writers! My kids don't watch it. I find 4 squares to be just as creepy. I'm sorry, but you can see some of the guys' "packages"!

Max and Ruby isn't high on my list of favorites but mostly because I feel Max should be communicating in more than 1 word phrases. Poor language model, that's my beef.

Toupie and Binou was orginally in french I do believe. My kids used to watch it all the time in french. But we don't get the french cartoon channel anymore, so they don't get to watch it in french anymore. But I have no issues with it. I too think that Binou is actually just Toupie's stuffed animal and it's really just a trip into a child's imagination.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

oh my God that's just disgusting ,i haven't seen this boohbah thing but from what i watched on youtube is pure whimsical show

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Dance belt picture

That's what you are seeing...not anything sexual....

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Wow. I wasn't familiar with the Boohbahs!

It's a good thing they were circumcised!

Why do creators of kids' television shows do this?
    To trouble parents who are freaked out by such comparisons. I've never seen those colourful chicken-looking things myself, are they new?

I honestly have no problem with the Four Square guys. DS has a Mom and a Dad. My family might be a bit different in this respect, but he's seen us both naked and is quite aware that he and Dad don't look the same as Mom in some ways. It's a non-issue.

The women in the show also don't hide anything, the costumes are form fitting for both genders. Sure, their below-the-waist area has a skirt, but breasts are certainly not hidden in any way. I don't think DS ever noticed anything worth mentioning to me, although he's kind of outgrown them now and doesn't watch that show.

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

my girls love the 4 squares, toopy and binou and caillou. if you dont agree with letting your child watch it, then turn it off?

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    To trouble parents who are freaked out by such comparisons. I've never seen those colourful chicken-looking things myself, are they new?

I honestly have no problem with the Four Square guys. DS has a Mom and a Dad. My family might be a bit different in this respect, but he's seen us both naked and is quite aware that he and Dad don't look the same as Mom in some ways. It's a non-issue.

The women in the show also don't hide anything, the costumes are form fitting for both genders. Sure, their below-the-waist area has a skirt, but breasts are certainly not hidden in any way. I don't think DS ever noticed anything worth mentioning to me, although he's kind of outgrown them now and doesn't watch that show.

Maybe they should repurpose those knee and elbow pads they wear?

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I'm glad my sons prefer Curious George and Wild Kratts. I don't think I'm missing too many subliminal messages with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    I don't recall the kids going anywhere in a vehicle with the Cat and the Hat in the original books... I don't think we have a copy of the first book in the house, but weren't the kids just trying to do damage control in the first one? Anyone know if the thingamajigger appears in the books from the fifties?
    No thingamajigger in the CITH book. I have it and just read it the other night. Cat came in sweeping a room in a big riding cart to clean up and DS called it the thingamajigger (b/c of the tv show), but nope, it isn't. Totally different machine. DS also frowned and furrowed his brow all through the book because in it the Cat is a kind of troublemaker (doesn't really seem to be a friend at all) and Things 1 and 2 are just TROUBLE. And fish belonged to the kids, on the show he "belongs" to the Cat. The book confused DS from the friendly, helpful show he is used to.

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    treehouse is so tame. as for non-existant parents in these shows. does anyone ever remember seeing any parents on sesame street? nope
    The parents I recall offhand on Sesame Street were Gordon and his wife Susan, and Maria and Luis.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gracesmommy View Post
    my girls love the 4 squares, toopy and binou and caillou. if you dont agree with letting your child watch it, then turn it off?
    TBH, I asked that several times when I was a member of the Treehouse forum...and most people who responded did so with versions of " Change the show to suit my children and those children who like it have to suffer..."

Changing channel, switching the tv off or even...gasp....inter-acting with (general) your child seemed to be frowned on by some parents.....

The entitlement burns at times.....

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Over the past 14 years I've had kids walk in when I've been on the toilet , in the shower, in the bath and in bed and so has Mr Penguin.

All 3(2 girls, 1 boy) know each gender is different from the other.By seeing us as adults and their siblings as children in different staes of undress.

we lock our bedroom door overnight/week-end mornings for our privacy. DD1 is of an age to understand what's happening in there. DD2 and DS jsut think we cuddle....

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Thanks, AmberLab. So I guess the 1950s Cat in the Hat is not to be trusted! And now he's reformed and wants to invite children into his car...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information