User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

March 2012 Budget Challenge: $ $ $ $

Dear participants, please post below, thanks.
    All the best as you work through your goals!

SPRING IS ON THE WAY!
    ##################################

My March 2012 Budget:

Expenses:
    Rent (+ utilities): PAID (as per rate)
    Phone & Internet: $77.13 (I cancelled my Internet and phone long distance, which should save about $500 per year; library internet access is now free)
    Water: $8.91 (reverse osmosis: cooking/drinking)
    Food & Stockpile: $59.91 (1 milk, 3 Puffs, bananas, 1 Dr. Pepper FREE/w/fpc/paid taxes $0.24, 1 milk, 2 bags apples, 1 bag brown rice, 1 pk. coffee filters, bananas, 15 lb. potatoes; popcorn, A&W burger, w/FPC's: Kashi cereal, Liberte yogurt, 5 x Bistro Sliders, 1 x McD juice; w/Christmas Gift Card: 2 x eggs, Oasis juice, 2 x Purex LD, 2 x milk)
    Miscellaneous: $9.63 (postage; 2 pectin; fridge light bulb)
    Other: $43.24 (1 parcel tape; A&W burger; Bus Fare; 2 x $5 Long-Distance Phone Cards)
    Hardware: $13.42(broom, 2 laundry detergent)

Total March 2012 Expenses to date: $212.24 (plus Rent)

Coupons Used: $43.60
    Extra Money: $0.11
    Tax Refund: $231.14

SPEND Days to date: 10/31

NO SPEND Days to date: 21/31

Goals:
    - maximize work
    - essential expenses: rent/utilities, basic phone, R.O. water
    - spending cuts on everything else, including phone LD, internet? Cancelled Internet & Phone LD (now using library internet & phone cards)
    - exceptions: stockpile additions, emergencies, DS birthday gift postage
    - stay within budget this month Not Possible, due to unexpected changes & expenses
    - add to Emergency Fund

To-Do List:
    - work
    - send birthday gift to DS COMPLETED
    - utilize all my resources
    - spend spare time on crafting for gift-giving:
    - OAMC&B (Once-A-Month-Cooking & Baking): COMPLETED: beef roast, potato wedges, turkey-veg-rice soup, cornbread, blackberry jam, stewed apricots, boiled eggs, apricot sorbet.
    - Income Tax COMPLETED
    - get a fishing license this spring
    - start seeds for tomatoes, herbs, flowers, etc. COMPLETED & they are now sprouting
    - wardrobe organization, tailoring and alterations: COMPLETED: button alterations on 17 blouses; repaired 1 bathrobe zipper, 1 nightgown; altered 2 button-down sweaters, sewed 1 missing button on a shirt; made table linens from 2 skirts, sewed 2 dishtowels & 4 dishcloths, hemmed 1 t-shirt for DS. Cut out 6 more dishcloths from flannelette. Hemmed 12 more dishcloths today.
    - some long visits with Mother Nature: so far, only during errands. IN PROGRESS, due to spending time on the patio, and necessary walks to the library computer.

Living within my Budget: (updates)
    - Mar.3/12: lots of cooking and baking done in the past few days; got the fridge re-organized and replenished, used up some frozen odds n' ends from the fridge-freezer. Haven't been out much this week, so chalked up many No Spend days at end of Feb. & beginning of March.
    - Mar.5/12: Income Tax completed; paperwork completed; more apricot sorbet made for freezer.
    - Mar.6/12: Baked bread pudding, potato wedges; sliced roast beef thin, froze some slices, made gravy, cooked last few carrots in fridge, prepped lettuce head by taking apart the leaves and storing all in plastic ice-cream pail in fridge crisper.
    - Mar.7/12: Found homemade recipe for cheese/cottage cheese using skim milk powder; working on it to convert it using my thawed milk, after skimming off the cream for coffee; the whey is also used for bread, muffins or biscuits, so if I can get this recipe right, I'm utilizing a small jar of milk for cream, cheese, cottage cheese and the base liquid for several baked goods, and that's a very significant saving of $, and makes 1 jar of milk go a very long way in the kitchen.
    - Mar.7-9/12: Wardrobe alterations in progress! Annoying interruptions!!
    - Mar.9/12: My work hours/pay got cut back this month...groan.
    - Mar.11/12: Kitchen faucet wand disintegrated at the couplet, spouting water, can't use till fixed. Neighbour barbecuing with propane gas right against my kitchen window & under my kitchen fan exit, filling my unit with propane gas fumes, making me sick. Have to report all this tomorrow. It's been a week of trouble of all kinds.
    - Mar.12/12: Reported the problems as necessary. Worked on sewing repurposed fabrics: 6 dishcloths & 3 dishtowels made from 2 heavy cotton skirts. Sewed a missing button a shirt. No sign of the plumber yet, and I have to work soon. Plumber came later & fixed spout.
    - Mar.13/12: Continued sewing and completed 7 articles for DS's birthday parcel.
    - Mar.14/12: More sewing done today--12 dishcloths; work went well, kept student on track and every lesson-minute counted; they talk too much these days, should listen more and follow instructions.
    - Mar.15,16/12: Very sick from asthma-related illness caused by gas fumes & smoke from neighbour's barbecue, placed beside my kitchen window & stove vent.
    - Mar.17,18/12: Planted all indoor seeds into 12 6-packs. Did accounts. Moved rug-frame to basement to free up office/den space again. Baking DS's birthday goodies today & packing box to send out.
    - Mar.21/12: Shopping Trip: Returned Internet modem, cancelled Internet & Phone long distance, which will save me about $500 per year; bought 2 long distance phone cards; used some FPC's at Safeway & McDonald's, used Christmas gift card at SDM to buy groceries. Bought food, household and office essentials. Feeling pretty shaky giving up my Internet, but it had to be done, and I'll get used to it; have since learned that library internet is now free.
    - Mar.22/12: Feeling the home-internet withdrawal right now, but trying to adjust. It's so different to get up in the morning, and not go right to the computer & internet with a cup of coffee to start the day. But I did have my coffee on the patio this morning, the first time this year, so that was very special too. And it was a lovely, soft, quiet, misty morning with all the awakenings of springtime happening right in my own backyard. The body-muscle exercise is good for me too, just making my way to the library to use their computer. I'm thinking that this year I may be able to improve my balance and try to make progress walking alone, without my walker. Spring is stirring in my body, soul and spirit, and I feel invigorated and renewed, and up and ready for the challenge.

- Mar.29/12: Worked out a budget for the next few years, based on my savings, which I put into a TFSA last week, earning me $50 per year interest. I wish I'd done this a year or so ago, because I would have been able to foresee my spending trends better, and check myself on over-spending habits. Feeling quite grumpy since I saw the figures on paper, couldn't sleep one night, so next day made a list of all the things I can do to improve my finances, including sell-off of my posessions. If things get any worse for me financially, I will be cancelling my phone, and just using my long distance phone card at a pay-phone, and otherwise using snail mail and library internet (of course). I'm giving myself a few weeks to a few months to make that decision, but if necessary, the sooner the better, because it would save me about $400 per year, which could go for rent/food/water/misc. essentials. The federal government budget comes out today.
    Will update the figures of my March budget asap, when I have more library time available, and will post the April budget thread then.
    Bye for now!
    Apr.4/12: Well, my Income Tax Refund saved my budget for March, and gave me a surplus for my emergency fund too. Whew!

March 2012 Budget Balance & Update: + $151.08

March Budget surplus allotted to Emergency Fund: + $151.08

This thread is currently associated with: London Drugs, Spring Shoes, A&W, Pharmaprix, Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Last edited by Valiant; Wed, Apr 4th, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
    ( Valiant, the valley-ant )

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Woot!

March is nice in that I get 3 pay cheques thus making this month the perfect time to put away some serious money.

Expenses:

Tuition & other school fees: $246.27 / $275 (registration fee, transcript, postage)

Everyday savings: $1100 / $1100

RRSP contribution: $75 / $75 (automatic)

Groceries: $136.19 / $150 (pizza toppings, 5 restaurant trips )

Entertainment/Clothing: $119.89 / $120.86 (2 birthdays this month, 1 comedy-fest ticket)

Total budgeted expenses: $1677.35 / $1720.86 (43.51 left)

Budget surplus will be spent as such:

Everyday savings: / ???

US account: / $300

No spend days to date: 23/31

Coupons used:

Income from Kijiji sales: $6.00

Money found: $0.15

Goals:

1) One of the goals that I didn't quite meet last month was the "get rid of 25 items" goal. I only managed 10 things so this month I'm going to continue that trend. 15 items to go! COMPLETED!

2) I'm not very good at keep track of "no spend days" so this month I'm going to challenge myself to be a bit more vigilant with that count. I'm going to try for at least 60% (19 days). COMPLETED!

3) Start seriously planning my seedlings.

4) Get cracking on my rug again. It was completely neglected last week.

5) I need to work on my shredded paper pile as well. My little recycling bin is overflowing.

6) Do my taxes! COMPLETED!
    Last edited by sotsuguyou; Sat, Mar 31st, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Canadians are presently calling for a public inquiry of the RoboCall Election Fraud scandal.
    To add your voice to this crucial issue, contact this website:

http://www.leadnow.ca/robocall-fraud

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Alright!!! March is another month of 3 pays for us, as my DW gets paid on Thursdays This will hopefully help us just about eliminate debt #1.

Expenses:
    Loans:
    #1: 2340 (PAID OFF!!!)
    #2: 212.62 (automatic)
    Food/eating out: 251.74/150
    Gas: 90.03/100
    Groceries: 630.48/300 (shame... it does include all the pet expenses happened this month though... 3 boxes of kitty litter, 3 bags of cat food, one big huge bag of dog food... won't need to buy for 2-4 months)
    Entertainment/Clothing: 226.65/200 (including new work boots for DW and summer clothes for DD)
    Laundry: 5.25/21 (managed to do some laundry at DW's uncles house :D)

No spend days to date: 9/31

Coupons used: 123.78
    Income from other sources:

Goals:

- earn 50$ from other sources
    - start planning for garden at mom's house
    - add to novel first draft
    - turn DW's jeans into shorts for work (DONE)
    - add at least 5 articles to Helium profile
    - earn enough to withdraw from PayPal account (DONE)
    Last edited by lovelikewinter3; Tue, Mar 27th, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: update
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

I've been following your threads since mid January and have decided to jump on board for March. I'll post my budget in the next day or so but I have a question for you gardeners:

I've seen lots of posts about starting your seeds indoors. I live in the southern "wet" coast of BC so I am in a much milder climate than many of you and can plant outdoors sooner. I live in a townhouse with very limited yard space and need to container garden. I don't have a lot of direct sunlight but get some on my balcony.

- What are the best types of veggies to grow in containers if I don't get 6 to 8 hours of direct sun?
    - What seeds should I start growing now? I get a decent amount of sun through my livingroom window and my kitchen window. (I am open to suggestions of any veggies - we eat everything).
    - I previously dabbled 2 years in a row with growing beans, raddishes, tomatoes, strawberries and herbs at our previous house. I had very little yield on the beans, nothing on the raddishes and maybe 6 tomatoes and strawberries. I have no problem starting seedlings but can't figure out what to "prune off" so they'll grow healthier with bigger yields. I'm very much a gardening "virgin".

I get lost in the mass of information when I start trying to figure it out myself online so any info you SC'ers can share is greatly appreciated. (Sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere.)

I also saw something about re-growing green onions on last months thread. How exactly do you do that ... ?

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Regrowing green onions is easy!

All I did was cut off the dry and wrinkly top green part, trim the roots a bit, and stick it in a small glass of water on my kitchen windowsill. Make sure to replace the water every few days. Then they just start growing! Try it!
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Ok I read your posts every month!! ..and I am a little jealous

MARCH-----coupons and groceries

-march 8 to 22- coupons used-$170.25--total spent-$419.93
    -march 22 to 29- coupons used-$43.72--total spent-$108.97
    -march Costco-$237.04

More

No spend days: 15

Goals

-put appeal in to LTD ( this will take a while)---sent emails etc..
    THE DR got the note to fill out for my ltd....I hope he can do it fast!!!

-keep working on stockpile---[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]paper towel,body[/COLOR] [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]wash,shampoo,juice,butter,cheese,tp,laundry soap,oatmeal[/COLOR] ---got lots of oTmeal and juice.....I am still working on the rest

-do laundry and dishwasher after 7pm and weekends-- [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]only 2x did I not[/COLOR]

-go to spin 4x a week and start weight training-- [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]spin 4 days no weight [/COLOR][COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]training..I am doing boot camp for a week[/COLOR]

-Start stock pile for camping-[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]-started laundry basket for camping[/COLOR]....the laundry basket is too full I will need to put it in a big Rubbermaid!!!!

-plan garden and start seeds on March break--[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]bought 18 pks of seeds[/COLOR].....lettuce is starting to grow and basil and peppers!!!

Let's hope I can make it!! My NDPH and migraines take me right out --[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]nerve block therapy is hurting sooooo much[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Abby5; Fri, Mar 23rd, 2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: More updating:)
    New mom October 2014!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

To calculate in advance what areas of your property will have sun at the different times of the year,there's a google maps based solar tracker I've been using:
    http://suncalc.net/#/49.4701,-123.75...12.02.02/11:48

Apparently the green onion trick can be used with regular onions and celery,too.I'm trying it with a bok choy stub out in the green house,and it seems to be growing.Don't forget that any garlic cloves that are sprouting can be stuck in a flowerpot to grow as well,and the tops(used like green onions) will add a garlicy taste to anything they're used in.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetproserpina View Post
    Regrowing green onions is easy!

All I did was cut off the dry and wrinkly top green part, trim the roots a bit, and stick it in a small glass of water on my kitchen windowsill. Make sure to replace the water every few days. Then they just start growing! Try it!
    So you leave a little bit of the of the hairy roots on the white tips and then as they grow you just keep trimming and using the green parts? Cool. Definitely gonna try it. I throw out green onions all the time because they bad before I use them up. Thanks!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by secheltsaver View Post
    To calculate in advance what areas of your property will have sun at the different times of the year,there's a google maps based solar tracker I've been using:
    http://suncalc.net/#/49.4701,-123.75...12.02.02/11:48

Apparently the green onion trick can be used with regular onions and celery,too.I'm trying it with a bok choy stub out in the green house,and it seems to be growing.Don't forget that any garlic cloves that are sprouting can be stuck in a flowerpot to grow as well,and the tops(used like green onions) will add a garlicy taste to anything they're used in.
    Are you referring to a single clove that is sprouting or planting an entire garlic head? Do the green sprouts just keep growing? Does it grow more garlic or just sprouts? I love the garlic "onion" sprouts.

Sorry if the questions seem silly but thanks for the info!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Congrats to those who are getting three pay cheques this month.
    Can't believe it's March already (couple of days, anyway).

March means
    * closer to spring
    * almost time to start veggie seeds indoors
    * time to plan for the veggie garden
    * get income tax return in or get refund back (this would be great)
    * try to pay extra to the mortgage principal, decreasing the # of years of our mortgage
    * looking for clearance sales on winter boots (one has a small hole at the seam)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Mortgage and Fixed Expenses: PAID

Variable Expenses:
    Hydro: $101.08/$105 +3.92
    TV/Internet: 118.57/118.57
    Cell Phones: $120.08/$120 (changed plans - got double bill this month)
    Home Phone: $33.03/$22.59 -$10.44 (oops! went over plan mins again!)
    Visa: $85/$85
    Line of Credit: $465/$465
    Emergency Fund: $4481.28
    Groceries: $834.29/$640 (Feb 12-Mar 13 CC statement) -$194.29 (groceries needed for march break ended up being charged on this month's cc statement)
    Gas: $425.03/$340 (Feb 12 - Mar 13 CC statement) -$85.03 (gas needed for march break ended up being charged on this month's cc statement)

Miscellaneous: $1002.67/$409 -$593.67
    Misc Cash: $107.76
    Stamps: $7.47 (for trades and mir)
    Trip to Toronto Zoo (incl meals): $239.00
    Utility Trailer: $240.00
    Paid off HBC cc:
    - Tablet: $112.99
    - Clothes for DH: $45.46
    - BBQ on deferred payment: $249.99

My Extra Income this month: $45
    DH's Extra Income this month: $5216.48 (Annual profit sharing bonus)
    DH's Carpool income: $60 (save for for vehicle expenses next month)
    Refund for Cat Adoption: $231.28 (deposit into Emergency Fund)
    Refund for new furnace: $250.00 (deposit into Emergency Fund)
    Credit from EI: $100.00 (used towards zoo trip)

Coupons Used: $215.18
    PC Points Used: $20
    Zellers Promo Card: $15
    SDM GC (from Health Survey): $10
    SDM Optimum Points Earned: 12180

Spend Days: 23/31
    No Spend Days: 8/31

Actual Budget Results: +5131.06 (thanks to DH's bonus )
    $4481.28 Deposited into Svgs Acct
    $649.78 balance of cash and chqing account to use towards next months budget

Goals:
    - work towards being debt free in 4 years (must pay at least $550 on visa + line of credit per month to achieve this)
    - build up emergency fund by saving at least $200 per month
    - tighten up grocery spending for next month. Canned/Dry goods stockpile in good shape. Will be looking for meat deals to restock freezer.
    - use cc only for gas and groceries. Use cash and keep better track of misc spending
    - make more meals from scratch and eat healthier while staying within budget
    - work on advertising so I can build my home daycare business (I would like to make an additional $800 per month)
    - get paperwork organized for income tax and buy tax software
    - try and resolve issue with EI regarding their claim I owe them $1850.

Mar 14 update: Issue with EI has been resolved. It has been determined that there was a data entry error made and they actually owe me $100 - will use to take kids to Toronto zoo

Mar 27 update:
    DH received his annual profit sharing bonus this month which we used to cover the overspending this month. The balance of DH's bonus will be deposited into emergency fund. We went over our grocery and gas budget because of March Break (had to have a full tank of gas and full fridge of groceries because I had 3 boys full days for the week). Grocery and gas spending will be less next month and the extra surplus will be added to the emergency fund. For now I am going to continue to keep adding to emergency fund instead of increasing debt repayment. I am still trying to build my daycare business and need a cushon in case I lose the only family I have.

Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Sun, Apr 1st, 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EricsMom View Post
    Are you referring to a single clove that is sprouting or planting an entire garlic head? Do the green sprouts just keep growing? Does it grow more garlic or just sprouts? I love the garlic "onion" sprouts.
    Sorry if the questions seem silly but thanks for the info!
    Hmmm-I just stuck a couple cloves in a planter last year,and just used the tops,but I went out to look and they seem to have multiplied,so ???? you might get bulbs.I'll have to put them in another pot-they've spread into my Black Mondo Grass.

I have a coupon for that
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Woot. I will post mine tonight or tomorrow getting ready for derby practice.
    50 bonus point invite for superpoints get it before it's gone
    http://superpoints.com/bonus/t9eaa8

25 bonus point invite for superpoints won't last long
    http://superpoints.com/bonus/91mmj1

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EricsMom View Post
    I've been following your threads since mid January and have decided to jump on board for March. I'll post my budget in the next day or so but I have a question for you gardeners:

I've seen lots of posts about starting your seeds indoors. I live in the southern "wet" coast of BC so I am in a much milder climate than many of you and can plant outdoors sooner. I live in a townhouse with very limited yard space and need to container garden. I don't have a lot of direct sunlight but get some ME TOO on my balcony.

- What are the best types of veggies to grow in containers if I don't get 6 to 8 hours of direct sun? Lettuce, Basil, Chives, Bush Beans (8-10 per window box on your steps), Tomatoes: (Tiny Tim, Patio), Dill, Cress, Runner Beans (Up Strings), Cucumbers (Up chicken wire or tomato cages), Zucinni (sunniest spot), Swiss Chard, Beet greens, Rhubarb, Raspberries, impatiens, morning glories (up strings on fence).
    - What seeds should I start growing now? I get a decent amount of sun through my livingroom window and my kitchen window. (I am open to suggestions of any veggies - we eat everything). Herbs, tomatoes, flowers.
    - I previously dabbled 2 years in a row with growing beans, raddishes, tomatoes, strawberries and herbs at our previous house. I had very little yield on the beans (try planting them in window boxes, 8-10 per box, fluffy soil), nothing on the raddishes (thin them 1 inch apart) and maybe 6 tomatoes (use tomato cages, and plant them deep, with crushed eggshells to prevent blossom-end rot) and strawberries (start a 4 x 4 raised bed) SEE 'THE GARDEN GIRL' VIDEOS: websites posted in January's BUDGET. I have no problem starting seedlings but can't figure out what to "prune off" so they'll grow healthier with bigger yields. Just make sure they are well-spaced apart, so they have a chance to root and develop well. I'm very much a gardening "virgin".

I get lost in the mass of information when I start trying to figure it out myself online so any info you SC'ers can share is greatly appreciated. (Sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere.) See "Garden Girl' Videos.

I also saw something about re-growing green onions on last months thread. How exactly do you do that ... ?
    Various ways, I pot the sprouted onion into a flowerpot, and just grow it on the kitchen counter, snipping off the green sprouts (this is a good way to handle those onions that sprout in the onion bag.)
    They can be grown in water too.
    And one time, I bought a head of lettuce that had a few tiny roots, and after using up the outside leaves, I grew out the center leaves by putting the bottom of the lettuce head into a bowl of water.

One more idea:
    Read up on "The Square-Foot Garden" by Mel Bartholomew (online info and Yahoo group)
    You can grow a lovely garden in a 4 foot x 4 foot raised bed, right on your cement patio or landing. Only 4 boards are required, no bottom needed.

I had very little success with corn, potatoes, watermelon, spinach, peas/Sweet peas, cabbage, brussel sprouts/broccoli, turnips, carrots, probably due to lack of enough sun, and not rich enough soil. (My soil is sandy, and I amended with home-compost for 3 years before I got good results, but then it flourished).

If you can, try fertilizing 1 foot deep with fish entrails, early in the season, covered well with soil and left undisturbed; your plants will thrive for 2 -3 years.
    Last edited by Valiant; Mon, Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information