User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I'm feeling really inspired by all these posts about gardening. Thank you everyone

I have never gardened in my life so I think I may start small and try growing a few things. I think the kids will really enjoy it too

I live in a small town with a large property so I have lots of room to garden. I just need to learn how to first

I also have some kind of cherry tree in my front yard. In the spring it was very beautiful when it bloomed but the fruit that grew on it did not look like the kind of cherries at the grocery store. I don't know if they are edible. How would I find out?

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Square Foot Gardens:
    These are miniature gardens, planted in a 4 foot x 4 foot x 1 foot deep raised box planter. That gives you 16 one-foot spaces to plant into. The planting box is sectioned off with strings. Then individual holes are poked into the soil of each 1 foot-square section (the amount of holes depends on the type of vegetable), and 1 or 2 seeds planted in each hole. The short plants are planted in front, the bushier plants at the back, and tomatoes and cucumbers at the very back, growing up strings, with 2 poles attached to the back ends of the planter, and a string or pole strung across from pole to pole, and strings hanging down from that string or pole. You can get this book from your library: "The Square Foot Garden, by Mel Bartholomew", and it has lots of pictures of various types of square-foot gardens, for kids too, and even raised gardens for those who are wheelchair-bound. The beauty about this idea is that it works, and you can reach across it from all sides, to plant, weed, water and harvest it.

Here's a photo: (this idea has caught on, and has a wide following, so it is harder to get detailed info here, because they are selling the books.

http://www.melbartholomew.com/produc...-of-sfg-books/

PS: I think you may have a Nanking Cherry Tree; the fruit is edible when ripe, and makes good jam and juice, but be sure it is really a Nanking Cherry, because there are so many ornamentals nowadays, with deceptive fruits, which could be toxic to eat. Greenhouse staff could identify it for you if you take a small twig with leaves, blossoms and new fruits. (make sure it has no diseases or insects on it)
    ( Valiant, the valley-ant )

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I forgot to meantion that my cherry tree has pink/purple flowers. I did a google search and it seems that all cherry trees with edible fruit have white flowers. The ones with pink are just ornamental. So I guess I will just leave them for the birds to eat

I will try getting the square foot garden book from the library. Sounds interesting and very doable for a beginner gardener. Thanks
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Mon, Feb 27th, 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    I forgot to meantion that my cherry tree has pink/purple flowers. I did a google search and it seems that all cherry trees with edible fruit have white flowers. The ones with pink are just ornamental. So I guess I will just leave them for the birds to eat

I will try getting the square foot garden book from the library. Sounds interesting and very doable for a beginner gardener. Thanks

I've got 2 Nanking cherry trees, identical in appearance...but one blossoms white flowers, the other blossoms medium-pink flowers. Both are edible fruits, the pink-flowered cherries being slightly larger, and sweeter & juicier. Many people don't harvest them, because they are not a regular-sized cherry fruit, and because the birds will eat them off after they ripen, so they just enjoy the tree as an ornamental.

Once you get the 4 boards together and the soil marked off, it's easy to garden with a square foot garden. BTW, you can use leaves and grass clippings (BUT NO PESTICIDES) mixed in with the soil, and pulverized veggie peelings & eggshells dug under the soil for feeding the soil. The fluffier the soil, the better, and the earthworms will find it and love to live in it, they'll keep it aerated for all the plant-roots, and eat up the veggie compost, and deposit rich worm-castings, which are excellent fertilizer.

The best little SFG (Square Foot Garden) I ever had was just a box of four, four-foot long, 1 x 8's I hammered together. I filled it half full of dried grassroots that I'd dug up and shook the soil out of when I dug my flower borders. I'd thrown those grassroots into a pile and let them dry out and die, then threw them into the bottom of the SFG, then covered them over with a mix of soil and peatmoss.

I planted it completely in 9 tomato plants. And they grew beautifully, then their branches intertwined, and the plants didn't fall over, so I didn't even have to cage them. They produced beautiful, prolific fruits. One day I pulled out a few weeds, heard some rustling sounds, and looked into the tiny holes left from the weeds; huge earthworms were coming up out of them to see what was going on. After I got over that little surprise, I realized why my tomatoes were doing so well. The earthworms had been attracted by my veggie peelings under the soil, and had moved into the soil base, enriching the soil and supplying my tomatoes with rich castings. I'll never forget that beautiful raised bed of tomatoes: they were the Improved Early Girl variety of tomatoes.
    Last edited by Valiant; Tue, Feb 28th, 2012 at 06:54 AM.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

One of my main goals for this spring:
    - wardrobe organization, tailoring and alterations

Remember those basic wardrobe lists, years ago--the lists with 2-3 street dresses, 2 work dresses, 1 little black dress, etc.
    We still need the very basics, well-fitted and well-suited to the occasion.
    And then add the extras, if so desired.

Basic Women's Modern Wardrobe (Spring-Fall):
    - coats: 1 (medium or medium-long)
    - jackets: 2-3 (1 good-wear lightweight, 1 heavier fleece for warmth and/or 1 denim casual)
    - suit jackets: 1-3, classic colours
    - pants: 3 pr., classic colours
    - summer shorts: 1-2 pr. (hot weather)
    - skirts: 1-3, different lengths & colours
    - dresses: 1-3, different styles & colours for occasion
    - black dress: 1 (funerals, formal)
    - blouses: 4-8 (wide range of colour & style)
    - tops: 4-8 (wide range of colour & style)
    - sweaters: 2-4 (basic colours & style)
    - lingerie & socks: lots
    - sleepwear/nightgowns: 4-7 (short & long)
    - shoes: 5 prs = 1 pr. formal, 1 pr. semi-formal, 1 pr. casual, 1 pr. walking shoes, sandals for hot weather
    - boots: 1 pr. rubber boots for wet weather/gardening
    - slippers: 1-2 pr. (bedroom, house-slippers)
    - raincoat & umbrella: 1 of each
    - gloves: 2 pr. (1 for cool weather, 1 for gardening)
    - hats: 2 (1 for cool weather, 1 sun-hat)
    - bags/purses: 1-3 (dress, regular/casual)
    - scarves and belts: various
    - jewellery: 1-2 wristwatches (regular/casual, dress)
    - sunglasses: 1 good pair UV shades)
    - swimsuit
    - bathrobe
    Last edited by Valiant; Tue, Feb 28th, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Love the container gardening information, Valiant.
    Very helpful to learn what is easy to grow and what is more challenging.
    Saves us all time and money.
    Thx!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    One of my main goals for this spring:
    - wardrobe organization, tailoring and alterations

Remember those basic wardrobe lists, years ago--the lists with 2-3 street dresses, 2 work dresses, 1 little black dress, etc.
    We still need the very basics, well-fitted and well-suited to the occasion.
    And then add the extras, if so desired.

Basic Women's Modern Wardrobe (Spring-Fall):
    - coats: 1 (medium or medium-long)
    - jackets: 2-3 (1 good-wear lightweight, 1 heavier fleece for warmth and/or 1 denim casual)
    - suit jackets: 1-3, classic colours
    - pants: 3 pr., classic colours
    - summer shorts: 1-2 pr. (hot weather)
    - skirts: 1-3, different lengths & colours
    - dresses: 1-3, different styles & colours for occasion
    - black dress: 1 (funerals, formal)
    - blouses: 4-8 (wide range of colour & style)
    - tops: 4-8 (wide range of colour & style)
    - sweaters: 2-4 (basic colours & style)
    - lingerie & socks: lots
    - sleepwear/nightgowns: 4-7 (short & long)
    - shoes: 5 prs = 1 pr. formal, 1 pr. semi-formal, 1 pr. casual, 1 pr. walking shoes, sandals for hot weather
    - boots: 1 pr. rubber boots for wet weather/gardening
    - slippers: 1-2 pr. (bedroom, house-slippers)
    - raincoat & umbrella: 1 of each
    - gloves: 2 pr. (1 for cool weather, 1 for gardening)
    - hats: 2 (1 for cool weather, 1 sun-hat)
    - bags/purses: 1-3 (dress, regular/casual)
    - scarves and belts: various
    - jewellery: 1-2 wristwatches (regular/casual, dress)
    - sunglasses: 1 good pair UV shades)

Love the list! This is one of the things I've put off for a long time...I need to go through my closet and dresser and vet things. On the list for alterations are my pants. All except one need a good hem job and a bit of a waist cinch.

It's actually kind of funny because, like most women, I have closets and dressers overflowing with stuff and yet, every morning, I look into my things and find I have "nothing to wear".

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I had a very busy morning and just got a chance now to catch up on smartcanucks and open my mail. I was lucky today to have a lot of nice surprises in the mail and no bills Here's what I got:

$10 SDM GC (for completing an online health survey)
    $15 coupon for Zellers wub spend $30
    A very generous trade envie full of coupons
    Websaver coupons for All Bran Bars (my favourite)

I am grateful that all of this comes at a time when I really need to scrimp and save. Now to figure out how to put these to the best use...

Also today is DH's birthday. He's feeling under the weather today so we'll have to put off celebrating. I'm praying that he'll rest today so he can recover quickly.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sotsuguyou View Post
    Love the list! This is one of the things I've put off for a long time...I need to go through my closet and dresser and vet things. On the list for alterations are my pants. All except one need a good hem job and a bit of a waist cinch.

It's actually kind of funny because, like most women, I have closets and dressers overflowing with stuff and yet, every morning, I look into my things and find I have "nothing to wear".

And to be brutally honest...unless we get right down to the organizing, repairs & alterations, it's because we don't have anything to wear.

There's stuff that's too big, stuff that's too small, stuff that fits but isn't right for the situation, stuff that needs a hem fixed, or a button sewn on, or a rip repaired, or a little alteration, stuff that should go to GoodWill or be repurposed, stuff that we hang onto for keepsakes, stuff that's stuffed too tightly in the closet or drawers for us to even get access to it, stuff that we actually hate, but keep because it cost money, stuff we love and does fit, but if we never think too much about our wardrobe, it just sits there, not used.

And for me, that has got to change...one thing at a time...a work in progress.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    I had a very busy morning and just got a chance now to catch up on smartcanucks and open my mail. I was lucky today to have a lot of nice surprises in the mail and no bills Here's what I got:

$10 SDM GC (for completing an online health survey)
    $15 coupon for Zellers wub spend $30
    A very generous trade envie full of coupons
    Websaver coupons for All Bran Bars (my favourite)

I am grateful that all of this comes at a time when I really need to scrimp and save. Now to figure out how to put these to the best use...

Also today is DH's birthday. He's feeling under the weather today so we'll have to put off celebrating. I'm praying that he'll rest today so he can recover quickly.
    Nice that these little extras are coming in! Because every little bit helps; and every dollar saved brings down the expenses and pays the bills.
    Hope your DH feels better soon; the weather has been so changeable, that people have been caught unprepared and many are getting colds.
    Lately for me, milk hasn't tasted right; not sure if its' getting refrigerated properly at the source or store, so a source of indigestion.
    Having a cuppa tea right now, to settle my stomach.
    And if you have access to crystallized ginger chunks (bulk bin at Superstore), eating a chunk or two will calm an upset stomach within half an hour.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

My March 2012 Budget:

Expenses:

Rent (+ utilities):
    No Rent (Live at home)
    Cell: 35$/
    35$
    Food & Stockpile: /300$
    Cats(3):
    /100$
    Pharmacy:
    /21$
    Transit: /94$
    Entertainment/Eating out: /150$

Vacation expenses: /? (hoping to spend no more than 400$)
    TFSA: ?
    Short-term savings account: ?
    MC Debt: /250?

Total income earned:
    Total monies spent:

Coupons Used:

Extra Money:

SPEND Days to date: 0/31

NO SPEND Days to date: 0/31 (I'll try a no spend tally, but I still tend to spend 5$ or less a day...pesky coffee...)

Stuff to do this month:

- Finish cutting my old band shirts and pinning them in place (making a quilt). I'm also hoping to sew them together, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself...
    - Work on my blog (penniesandnarwhals.wordpress.com)
    - Hair cut.
    - Goin' to Cuba. I won an all expense paid trip, but of course souvenirs and any extras we do (day trips etc). I'm aiming to spend less than 400$, which I think is reasonable, at least one day trip in there.
    - Continue purging closet of excess clothing. I can honestly go 2 months without doing laundry. I take that as having too much clothes?
    - Because of my trip I won't be putting as much as I have onto my MC debt. I'll see where I'm at when I get my second pay of the month.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Interesting plans you have there, lekate.
    Hoping you will keep us updated on your progress, and that you will have a wonderful trip!

No "No Spend Days" at all? What about Saturday and Sunday; you don't work and commute 7 days a week, do you?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! So excited to be a part of the monthly budget challenge. I couldn’t before since I was unemployed and the budget was basically rent and food. But now! I thank all my fellow smartcanuckers. A few days after posting I was unemployed and asked for tips on getting a job, I was hired! Thanks everyone!

March 2012 Budget:

Fixed Expenses:
    Rent (+ utilities): 0/$ 720
    Phone/Internet/Cable: $158/$ 158
    Cell Phone: $ 16.95/$ 15 (forgot about tax *slaps forehead*)
    Transportation: $ 81.5/$ 163
    OSAP: 0/$153
    Variable Expenses:
    Groceries and Stockpile: $ 377.70/$ 400
    Credit Card Payment: $100/$ 100
    Savings: $ 1000/$ 1000
    Laundry: $16/$ 40
    MISC: $149.56

There is no entertainment budget since me and my boyfriend pay weekly into a joint bank account which we use for the above expenses, and keep the left over money as entertainment and personal savings/investments. (A lot of people say there is no such thing as personal money when you are with someone, but we are young and this works for us) When I work overtime its all MINE!

Total March 2012 Expenses to date: $ 1899.71/$ 2 029

Coupons Used: $1
    Change Found: $0

SPEND Days to date: 9/31

NO SPEND Days to date: 11/31

Goals:
    - Work as much overtime as healthily possible (Don’t want to collapse J)
    - Stop buying frozen dinners (unless less than $1) and freeze a few meals of my own.
    - Contact Acanac and find out about their cheaper internet service
    - Don’t get suckered into spending over budget because of sales (This will be hard)
    - add to Savings and Emergency Fund

* They increased bus fare recently, so now that throws off my budget a little, but I'm still determined!
    * Didn't realise how much I spend on things for the house. This month it's a part of my grocery budget, but next month I have to make a category for it.
    Last edited by brwonsugal; Tue, Mar 20th, 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Hey, congrats on your new job! And all the best on your budget goals!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    Interesting plans you have there, lekate.
    Hoping you will keep us updated on your progress, and that you will have a wonderful trip!

No "No Spend Days" at all? What about Saturday and Sunday; you don't work and commute 7 days a week, do you?
    I have been working 6 days a week, for almost the past 10 months, so maybe 4 no spend days, but my bf and I like to go out for Vietnamese on some of my days off, so then that leaves about 2 days no spend. And soometimes on my day off each week, I'll mosey on over to a Loblaws banner store because I like some PC products, most grocery days I pick up at Metro since it's in the same mall as where I work (and since I bus, no car, I prefer to shop there despite higher prices, I may spend a bit more money but it takes less time which means I can be home sooner!)
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information